Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Missing wheel bearing covers??

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RogerB is an unknown quantity at this point
Missing wheel bearing covers??

My 05 Civic Coupe doesn't have wheel bearing covers on the front, but has them on the back. I asked a technician at Honda about it and he said that my car doesn't come with front covers. I got the impression from him that the plastic wheel covers should suffice for keeping dirt and such out.

I have my winter tires on, and have left my wheel covers off. I figure there's gonna be a lot of salt and water going places where I think it shouldn't be going. I think I'm going to get some covers from a junkyard and grease them up and stuff them in, just for peace of mind.

Anyone else have missing covers? Seems weird that Honda would skimp on a few bucks worth of metal.
Old 11-07-2006
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
are you talking about the dust caps? Also honda uses sealed front bearings, so putting lube in the dust cap wont do anything. now I am not sure if they come with them or not, check out www.hondaautomotiveparts.com
Old 11-07-2006
BLDNPSI Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Pretty much NO front wheel drive cars have a dust cap on the front hub. To my knowledge NO civics EVER had one on the front hub.
Old 11-07-2006
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
I've never seen a dust cap on the front of any of the FWD cars I've owned. It's not that they were cheap about it, it's just not necessary.
Old 11-07-2006
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
because of the fwd axles there are no wheel bearing caps they are all sealed...all u can see are spindle nuts which hold the axle on
Old 11-07-2006
Registered!!

Well, looks like my car wasn't meant to have them after all..

Still, I live in the land of snow and salt (Canada) so I'm thinking about getting dust covers for the front anyway. The nut has some surface rust on it and it looks bad. I look at my front tires and I find it stands out.

My car isn't 2 years old and it shows more rust than I would expect. There's a few pieces of metal here and there that look older than they should.
Old 11-08-2006

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
Are you running steelies without hub caps?? Otherwise, you shouldn't see the nut until you take your wheel off.
Old 11-08-2006
Registered!!

I'm running steelies with no wheel covers, so you can see the bare rim. And in the center you can see the nut. But only on the front wheels, the rear have dust caps.
Old 11-08-2006

Right, so throw some hub caps on that biotch. Why do you have just the steelies on there??
Old 11-10-2006
Registered!!

I'm using my steelies cuz I have my winter tires on. My OEM tires have very little tread left and we've been getting a lot of rain and a little snow lately. I don't like hyrdoplaning or skidding on snow.

The OEM Dunlop tires were pitiful. I might have gotten 40,000km out of them.
Old 11-10-2006

Me too. So get some wheel covers/hub caps.
Old 11-10-2006
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
Id be more worried about how ugly the steelies look on there than the little bit of surface rust on the axle nut. Believe me, if you are running without hubcaps people arent gunna knock you for having rusty axle nuts, hehe. If it bothers you that bad spray paint em black. GET HUBCAPS!! lol