Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

How does tire pressure relate to speed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of light
How does tire pressure relate to speed?

I am going to get a speedometer accuracy test on my car to fight a ticket and was wondering if the tire pressure will affect the speed reading. I know larger diameter tires cause the speedometer to read slow, so will extra tire pressure affect the diameter of the tire enough to make the speedometer even read slower? Or will it be so insignificant it's not even worth thinking about?
Old 10-03-2005
Registered!!

zadscmc has a spectacular aura aboutzadscmc has a spectacular aura aboutzadscmc has a spectacular aura about
Not only will the tire inflation level effect the reading, so will the tread pattern on your car. When new, the tire has 10-11/32 " of tread, when "worn out" will have 3-4/32" of tread. 1/4" max difference which makes the tire roll .78 (3.1417*.25) of an inch more on a new tire versus a worn out tire, assuming constant tire pressure.

Air pressure can add (or subtract) from the diameter, also. Consider the racing circuit, when they tell you they are adding/subtracting a pound of pressure. They affect a change to the handling of the car by making that wheel(s) roll more/less.

Make sense?
Old 10-03-2005
Registered!!

bobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of light
So in a nutshell, higher pressure would make the speedometer read slightly slower since the additional pressure would increase the diameter of the tire.
Old 10-04-2005
Registered!!

zadscmc has a spectacular aura aboutzadscmc has a spectacular aura aboutzadscmc has a spectacular aura about
Correct. Because the diameter is larger you cover more ground.

So if the speedometer reads 50 mph, and you one hour, at exactly that speed, you will have traversed more than 50 miles, thus your real speed would have been more than 50 mph.
Old 01-17-2006
Registered!!

Eclectic is an unknown quantity at this point
speaking of tire pressure, i know the cold reading should be 30psi but that's only convenient if you have an air pump at home or live like less than a mile from the gas station.

so i was wondering, what should the warm/hot tire pressure reading be?

thanks
Old 01-17-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
You're arguing a couple fractions of an inch. Even a difference in tire size doesn't make much of a difference unless you're way off. And the circumference of the tire doesn't change much because its not inflated. You still make X revolutions per mile if you were to start rolling the tire out like a roll of tape, regardless of the pressure in it.
Trying to compare that + the 1-2% error in the speedometer (I know mine reads too slow for a fact) and you're better off arguing a tail wind blew the car down the road.Stack up the tolerances if you want..... the actual diameter of the tire vs. spec, the true ratio of the transmission gears, the actual RPM vs. what the gauge said (this is going to give you your true speed), you can check the speedo for error, but I dont' think its going to help. They'll just say you were negligent in keeping the car maintained.
Usually it takes more than a few MPH over to get a ticket for it, so unless you can somehow account for 5 or more MPH through error, in which case the cops will come up with more reasons, I don't think I'd bother.
Get the radar calibration and stuff, see if you can pull dirt out of that.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 01-17-2006 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-17-2006
Registered!!

epster is an unknown quantity at this point
how fast were you going? generally a lot of places around i've heard that you can go to court and apply for a moving violation and just pay a bigger fine so it doesn't go on to your ins record... and generally at least here it's 14 or under.
Old 01-20-2006
7thgen Power Maker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
What is OEM on the D17? 185/65/15?

What size do you have on your Civic now?