Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Worth It To Pay More For Name Brand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*WallStreet* is an unknown quantity at this point
Worth It To Pay More For Name Brand?

I was looking in several different wheel ads and discovered that several of the popular models of wheels have been copycatted (sic) by other companies. Wheels like the Konig Prophet, Axis Seven Mod, and Racing Hart (RH Evo) C5 have been copied by companies like Exel and Katana.

The wheel I am currently interested in is the RH Evo C5. Wheels Next has genuine RH wheels in an 18'' package for $1299, while Wheel Max has the Exels for $999. Is it a good investment to spend the exra cash on the real deal? Also, does anyone know what the differences are in the manufacturing process? I asked the C.S. guy at Wheels Next and he said the Exels are poured cast while the RH's are vacuum cast.

One last thing, I have been getting mixed opinions on which tire size to go with. Some places have said 215/40/18 while others reccomend 215/35/18. I am leaning towards the 35's since they are the closest to stock diameter, but am worried that the skinnier tire will make the rim much more vulnerable to dents and curbs. Any opinions are welcome and I appreciate your help.

Thanks, Jason
Old 07-18-2005
Registered!!

HondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of light
if you have the money, go for the racing hart. the exels finish will fade/peel/chip easier. if you look at them side by side you will be able to tell the difference in quality. also, i would not go for the 215/35, it is just too damn thin. i have the 215/40-18 now and am very happy. i will try to go with 45 on my next car if i can...
Old 07-18-2005
Type Skivic

TeRRoRiFiC35 is an unknown quantity at this point
exel rims weigh for than the RH's and are shittier.. the term "you get what you pay for" def comes into play with rims. as far as 35's, dont get them for daily use unless you wanna buy new rims every month.
Old 07-18-2005
Fiji Club Member

HondaGuy12 is on a distinguished road
yeah def a quality issue.. i dont know where you live but if u have shitty streets u want a good wheel that can withstand some beating and then some.. as far as the tires go.. i ride on 215/35 and im fine with it.. but i also live in florida where not many shitty streets are... i just like the look of me riding on small tires and big rims.. lol..
Old 07-18-2005
Registered!!

*WallStreet* is an unknown quantity at this point
Alright guys thanks alot for your help! It definetly sounds like I'm going with the Racing Hart no matter what, and now I'm thinking I'll probably go with the 215/40's simply because I live out in the country and the city roads I drive on are fairly shitty, so I don't want to be constantly freaking out when I hit a little bump. Once again, thanks alot, and what would you guys recommmend tire-wise? I have been looking at the Nitto Neo Gen, Yokohama Parada Spec 2, and Falken FK-451.

What would be the "best tire" as far as noise, longevity (don't want to replace anytime soon) and handling? Thanks again, Jason
Old 07-18-2005
Registered!!

slicksivik will become famous soon enoughslicksivik will become famous soon enough
falken
Old 07-19-2005
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute
ALWAYS..if you have money, go for it. it's like getting a burned cd form a dude a gas station outta the bak of his car and u put in ur cd player for it to not read the format. i mean a lil bit more money wont matter in like 1 year.
Old 07-19-2005
It's Nice To Be Important, But It's More Important To Be Nice.

Fiji_Blue_EM2 is just really niceFiji_Blue_EM2 is just really niceFiji_Blue_EM2 is just really niceFiji_Blue_EM2 is just really niceFiji_Blue_EM2 is just really nice
In all honesty - $300 is nothing if your already spending a grand on your wheels -

figure $75 a wheel for something thats better quality and going to last you a whole longer -

as far as tire size, I am on 215/45 and i couldn't be happier -

my last set was 215/40 and it was a little too rough of a ride for my taste -

when you get them - post pics - KTHX