Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

dubs on a civic

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EAMAPE is an unknown quantity at this point
dubs on a civic

what your thoughts about 20s on a coupe? Any transmission problems maybe?
Old 11-05-2004
Registered!!

Pb4uGo is an unknown quantity at this point
with an automatic transmission, the tranny will hate it without at least a thermostatically controled cooler. with a manual transmission, you will hate it. As far as fitment, you can make anything fit with time and determination, but I do believe 19s are about as large as I've seen people here destroy their cars with.
Old 11-05-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
I dunno about the transmission problems, but 20" rims on a Civic would likely necessitate stock height at worst, VERY mild drop with some fender modding at best. Even 19's are a challenge for the slammed.
Plus there aren't very many nice looking 20" rims with a 4x100 bolt pattern.....unless you go chrome....in which case you probably wouldn't care about height, cause it seems people with super-oversize chrome rims on a sport compact like to ride high for some reason....
Old 11-05-2004
Jam out with your clam out.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
abmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questioned
^ got tire???
Old 11-05-2004
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
heres a coupe on 20s (stock suspension)...
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/638075
Old 11-05-2004
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
please no! it's bad enough with all the chrome going around! now 20's??

luckily here in NYC, there are way too many pot holes and just nasty roads to keep compact cars from going to 20's..... yet some ppl still try....

just looked at the link Falken posted.... that brake pic looks pretty bad
Old 11-05-2004
Still in the game...

scatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to behold
wow, that blue civic is hot, imo....u guys check out some of the cars in that club dddaaaaayyyummm

Last edited by scatman; 11-05-2004 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-05-2004
250+ awhp Stage 2

SLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant future
DUBS!?!?!?!?!? On a civic wow I am amazed
Old 11-05-2004
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Pb4uGo
with an automatic transmission, the tranny will hate it without at least a thermostatically controled cooler. with a manual transmission, you will hate it. As far as fitment, you can make anything fit with time and determination, but I do believe 19s are about as large as I've seen people here destroy their cars with.
what are you talking about? please do not give out information that you're not sure about..

i have 19s and there are no problems. 19s in a 215/35 profile tire is about an inch bigger in diameter then the stock 14 inch steelie with the stock tire....... i have an auto tranny and it shifts fine, just like it did with my steelies.

ask oneone on here with 19s and its not that big of a deal.....
Old 11-05-2004
Premium Member

Mr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to all
lol @ 20's on a civic hahahaha
Old 11-05-2004
Registered!!

dchalifoux7 is an unknown quantity at this point
That civic looks alright the falken one but WTF how could you drive around any major city w/out hitting a pot hole... one little bump and that would be it. I sure can't afford replacing those... I'll stick to my stock @ss wheels until I got the cash for some 17s.
Old 11-05-2004
The Legend

blackbullet will become famous soon enoughblackbullet will become famous soon enough
I will have 20's one day soon. That is all.
Old 11-05-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 1sikEM2
basically having that nitrous is pointless then. With those 20's, he is probably not getting but 5-10 HP out of that nitrous. If even that.
Old 11-05-2004
Registered!!

dchalifoux7 is an unknown quantity at this point
hmmm I don't even think I would have them for a week before I got jacked... damn thugs
Old 11-06-2004
Registered!!

EAMAPE is an unknown quantity at this point
just a thought. i ride a little bit too much for 20s......almost 100,000 in two years
Old 11-06-2004
Balut Eating Champ

pnoyster2k1cvic is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 1sikEM2
that car is not dailydriven... dood if somebody drives that **** I'll beat him up myself! that car is a show car period! it will be a hell for acceleration when you have MT on 20s, for AT more that likely your tranny will pop on you... but with nice set of wheels, proper camber and modification, it would look sick...
Old 11-06-2004
Registered!!

byrd819 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by dchalifoux7
hmmm I don't even think I would have them for a week before I got jacked... damn thugs
I had those same Konig Prophets in 17" and they got jacked in September. 20's might not even make a couple of DAYS in my town.....Damn Thugs is right!!!

Last edited by byrd819; 11-06-2004 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-06-2004
Balut Eating Champ

pnoyster2k1cvic is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by byrd819
I had those same Konig Prophets in 17" and they got jacked in September. 20's might not even make a couple of DAYS in my town.....Damn Thugs is right!!!
four sets of key locks, either take the wheels in a long *** time or take the whole car...
Old 11-06-2004
Registered!!

byrd819 is an unknown quantity at this point
I was gonna take them off in Oct. anyway. They just beat me too it. LOL. Now I just get bigger wheels w/ (as you suggested) and 4 SETS of wheels locks!!!!
Old 11-06-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
If you're gonna do it, make sure you do a full disc conversion (4 wheel disc brakes) and upgrade to big rotors. Looks stoopit with small *** rotors behind big as rims.
Old 11-06-2004
Registered!!

o2civic is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm getting 20's on tuesday.. 20x7.5 on 225/35/20..

It's already been test-fitted and ran for about 30 miles... A bit of a challenge on u-turns.. but overall, it's very much a reality.

Those of you in Miami may have seen me last week test running them..

And for those of you hating already... Bare in mind, it's a personal taste, a personal style.. if its not along your definition of style, don't down someone elses by saying it sucks, its nasty or just plain acting childish about it..

Some of us choose to lead and venture off into uncharted waters in search of new looks and styles for our cars... while others bitch and complain, just to turn around and get the look once enough of us have gone ahead and taken the chance.. If this is you, keep your negative comments to yourself.. don't rain on our ingenuity.. and don't forget to personally thank us 6 months down the line when YOU get them.

Of course, as always, if the shoe fits...wear it. If it doesn't.. don't worry bout what I just said.
Old 11-06-2004
ThE FaMiLy SeDaN

rijowysock will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by EAMAPE
what your thoughts about 20s on a coupe? Any transmission problems maybe?
ok. listen and listen good.

20's on a civic=4x4 unless.. you lower it alot..

meaning lowering it approx 3"-3.5" otherwise u will still have wheel gap.

even tho u lower the car 3-3.5" you will still be very high off the ground because the overall wheel diameter of a nitto 555 225/35/20 tire which are 171$ each.. thats lowest price i found..

ok if you are going to get 20's and u want it to look decent.. u MUST get BFgoodrich KDW2 225/30/20 tires which run... in excess of 340$ each.. they will fit perfectly ot rub same overall diameter but... they are paper thin... the lip-ground height will be a little over a 1/4" which is nbothing... i live in florida and even with perrrfect streets the wheels will get banged up..

now even if you do spend 340+ per tire on the tires you need.. lets talk wheels:

wheels motegi dp6= cheap peices of crap when combined w. a 30 series tire EXPECT then to bend and break w/ slight impacts such as potholes etc.

konig 20x7.5 prophet.. its 37lb weight alone adding thin tires... expect rim damage.

these above wheels are cheap tho... 200-300 each...

if you are going to get 20's and u want it to be safe i would only get bfg kdw2 225/30/20 tires and i would get nothing less than iforged or HRE which... means your gonna spend.. 4000-7000$ on wheels and 1200-1500 on tires.. which means u should get a bimmer and trick it out rather than a civic.

i am faced w/ descision like this everyday all day.. but instead of buying iforged/HRE @ cost (which is still 3500$ for wheels alone) and tires @ 1200-1400$ (5000$ set of wheels that when u go to sell them you WILL NOT get anymore than.... 2500$ out of them because the demand for them on resale is basically non existent. you might find one buyer at that and he is not going to offer you near what u want because the only 4x100 cars are civic/mr2/other small cars that people do not put 7000$ wheels on.)

i would suggest getting 19's and just either getting a cheap 19(cast) or getting a forged 4x100 19" (racinghart Cr/Cx/C4, in this case contact me because i have both CR/C4... racinghart C series are the only multipeice 4x100 wheel made.)19*

riley
Old 11-06-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by o2civic

It's already been test-fitted and ran for about 30 miles... A bit of a challenge on u-turns.. but overall, it's very much a reality.

And for those of you hating already... Bare in mind, it's a personal taste, a personal style.. if its not along your definition of style, don't down someone elses by saying it sucks, its nasty or just plain acting childish about it..

Some of us choose to lead and venture off into uncharted waters in search of new looks and styles for our cars... while others bitch and complain, just to turn around and get the look once enough of us have gone ahead and taken the chance.. If this is you, keep your negative comments to yourself.. don't rain on our ingenuity.. and don't forget to personally thank us 6 months down the line when YOU get them.

Of course, as always, if the shoe fits...wear it. If it doesn't.. don't worry bout what I just said.
I'll never put 20's on my civic cause some thug thinks his is an SUV and he want's to "ride big", which around here if you're riding 20's, youre still riding small, but I digress. The same can be said for spinners on a Civic, and floaters on a Civic. It looks stupid cause someone is trying to put ghetto influence on a car that's not a ghetto fabulous car. Sorry, but you can keep your "dubs".
Old 11-06-2004
Registered!!

Riley - well said. I wish this site had more people like you that KNOW how to express opinions without the "childish-ness".. Thanks for the good info..

Popcorn - Thanks for letting me keep my "dubs".. Which are now, according to you, classified as "Ghetto Fabulous" rims... "Ghetto Fabulous" is NOT the look I am going for.
Old 11-06-2004
ThE FaMiLy SeDaN

rijowysock will become famous soon enough
o2 i pmed ya.. hit me back
Old 11-07-2004
The Legend

blackbullet will become famous soon enoughblackbullet will become famous soon enough

Preach it!!
Old 11-07-2004
The Beer-man

Metallica454 is an unknown quantity at this point
20 inches on a Civic would look rediculous. 20s on anything except on SUVs and some trucks.
Old 11-07-2004
The Beer-man

Metallica454 is an unknown quantity at this point

20s will take a huge toll on your front axles as well as your tranny. I hope you are prepared to shell out the cash to fix it all. Your ride quality, handling, performance, and mileage will degrade as well. Bigger wheels act like tall gears. You won't have much grunt anymore. Why do you think guys with lifted trucks and big tires get such short axle gears? Also, don't forget to adjust your cpu for odometer and speedometer corrections. If you ask me you're in for some trouble i the long run.
Old 11-07-2004
Registered!!

rckdrmr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CuRiOuSfIsH
please no! it's bad enough with all the chrome going around! now 20's??
w3rd
Old 11-08-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Metallica454
20s will take a huge toll on your front axles as well as your tranny. I hope you are prepared to shell out the cash to fix it all. Your ride quality, handling, performance, and mileage will degrade as well. Bigger wheels act like tall gears. You won't have much grunt anymore. Why do you think guys with lifted trucks and big tires get such short axle gears? Also, don't forget to adjust your cpu for odometer and speedometer corrections. If you ask me you're in for some trouble i the long run.

It's all going to be taken care of.. thanks.

Quick Reply: dubs on a civic