Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Rollin fenders

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superman2004 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rollin fenders

Hey Guys, can anyone explain to me how to do this for the rear fenders to create more clearance for the wheel so it wount rub the outside of the fender. You know that stupid lip. Do you guys just bend it all the way up??

Please clue me in on the this trick. Is there anything wrong or bad about doing this....for example...will it hurt the strength of the body?? Why does Honda put that lip there anyway??

Thanks
Old 09-13-2004
Registered!!

low04 is an unknown quantity at this point
i have always used a baseball bat and rolled it back and forth until it is bent far enough up. it wont hurt anything unless you put to much pressure and bend the outside.
Old 09-13-2004
Registered!!

do you head up the metal before you try to bend it....or will it bend pretty easliy on its own? Also....what width tires do you have? Mine are 215/45/17...its rubbing a littel on the outside of the tire....just wondering if you had trouble with this?
Old 09-13-2004
Nugget Garage Since 2004

Big Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant future
yah just use a baseball bat, but be super carefull. Also a heat gun is nice to heat up the paint so that it doesnt crack. Just take it slow and use a jack to get the car to the right height.
Old 09-13-2004
Registered!!

well whats the trick....just heat up the paint on the lip?? Is this something that a beginner shouldnt do?? Would a body shop even know what I`m talking about when I tell them what I want done?? Also is it very noticable from outside...I mean does it look ugly. The car is brand new and I dont want to mess it up already!! Otherwise...the wheels are for sale.

Thanks....keep it comming.
Old 09-13-2004
xam
snooty patooty partier

xam has a spectacular aura aboutxam has a spectacular aura aboutxam has a spectacular aura about
i dont think u can roll up plastic fenders. well u can but it will damage something
Old 09-13-2004
Registered!!

ZdS03Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone think shaving the lip on the fender with a dremel would work?
Old 09-13-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Mr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to all
here's a site that should clear things up to.

http://www.andrews.edu/~johnsonm/howto/rollfender.html
Old 09-13-2004
ish...

Jaykuai can only hope to improve
it would work but you gotta put something there so the metal wont rust
Old 09-13-2004
Nugget Garage Since 2004

Big Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant future
^would take a while.
The back fender is metal not plastic. I went to a body shop and they were confused so i went a bought a baseball bat! Wont look ugly if you do it right. Wont even be able to tell. I never did it before, but if ur patient and good with ur hands u should be able to do it. If ur really worried then maybe u shouldnt do it urself.
Old 09-13-2004
Registered!!

Well I could try it...it doesnt cost anything to try...I was just concerned that it would might mess up the out fender...the part you see...maybe bend the metal or crack the paint...but I guess if you took your time and probably doing it on a hot day would help the metal along I imagine. i think I will try it before I give up on my wheels. Besides..really it was onlly doing it on the one side pretty much..and it looked like the lip came down farther in one spot...so maybe thats all it will take. I really dont want to actually cut the fender.
Old 09-13-2004
Registered!!

duyaknow is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Mr.Modify
here's a site that should clear things up to.

http://www.andrews.edu/~johnsonm/howto/rollfender.html
haha, really nice link. I too did the bat method awhile ago. You might want to have some touchup paint because my paint cracked, but only on the fender lip. Just paint it to prevent rusting.
Old 09-13-2004
TAQUITOS!!!!

gh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the rough
i heard someone mention plasma cutting before...anyone know how much $ that runs?
Old 09-13-2004
Registered!!

low04 is an unknown quantity at this point
its not hard to do and something anyone should be able to do. just take your time, be patient and save yourself the money of haveing someone else do it. i have had to do it on almost all of my vehicles at some point and as long as you take your time and dont try to do to much at once you wont have problems
Old 09-13-2004
Its a celebration bitches!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
i cut my lip off with a dremel... ****, im still hitting the freaking place where the bummper connects to the body... im goign to have to cut that off also, but i have to find out how to anchor it to the body still.... that one side has torn up one of my tires... id ont' think it is even safe to drive the car anymore...
Old 09-13-2004
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ZdS03Civic

i already tried that. its not a good idea...... you can only take off the metal until you hit the spot welds then you have to stop. there is about half an inch of metal that can be safely taken off with dremel...... if you go past the welds you run the risk of the metal spliting on you down the road where the spot welds are. best bet would be rollng it because you dont touch the welds.
Old 09-30-2004
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice to know not to ever cut it, so I dont go popitty pop on my tires if I hit a pothole
Old 09-30-2004
Its a celebration bitches!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
lol...
Old 10-20-2004
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Anybody think I will have this prob with goldline springs(1.75f/r)/tokicos? I have the kumho 711 tires like a 40 I think, on 17's?
Old 10-20-2004
TAQUITOS!!!!

gh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the rough
depends on your offset
Old 10-20-2004
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by HustleLikeM0FO
i already tried that. its not a good idea...... you can only take off the metal until you hit the spot welds then you have to stop. there is about half an inch of metal that can be safely taken off with dremel...... if you go past the welds you run the risk of the metal spliting on you down the road where the spot welds are. best bet would be rollng it because you dont touch the welds.
Good luck dealing with the rust when it creeps up your fenders
Old 10-20-2004
Tuckin' 19's

danscreations is an unknown quantity at this point
Take it to a body shop! DO NOT USE A BAT OR CUT. The body shop will use an air saw to cut them and them add a anti-rust/primer stuff and then follow behind it with touch up paint or etc. Best thing to do is get it cut in the center of the pinch welds. If you cut past the pinch marks your inner and outter shell will seporate and the metal will start to weave and not be structually sound. Now even better is to have them rolled with a pro-tool. There expensive so most body shops don't have them but if you can find a body shop with one they will heat up the metal & paint and use the tool and it will roll them slowly and perfectly. I attached the tool.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	76008.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	41178  
Old 10-20-2004
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by robbclark1
Good luck dealing with the rust when it creeps up your fenders
i already had a body shop sand and seal the exposed metal on my fenders
Old 10-27-2004
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by danscreations
Take it to a body shop! DO NOT USE A BAT OR CUT. The body shop will use an air saw to cut them and them add a anti-rust/primer stuff and then follow behind it with touch up paint or etc. Best thing to do is get it cut in the center of the pinch welds. If you cut past the pinch marks your inner and outter shell will seporate and the metal will start to weave and not be structually sound. Now even better is to have them rolled with a pro-tool. There expensive so most body shops don't have them but if you can find a body shop with one they will heat up the metal & paint and use the tool and it will roll them slowly and perfectly. I attached the tool.
should look for a auto body and repair shop or a wheel shop of some sort? also, whats an estimate charge for getting my rear fender rolled?
Old 10-29-2004
Registered!!

mykungfuisthebest is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ZdS03Civic

yes just cut it off... my wheel and suspension guy did it in like 30 min to fit my 235s
Old 10-29-2004
ThE FaMiLy SeDaN

rijowysock will become famous soon enough
cut it... use a pnumatic air saw.. (reciprocating)

rolling=rust
Old 11-01-2004
x-factor

prototype is on a distinguished road
I had my all 4 fenders cut, smoothed out with a grinder then primed, sealed, painted, cleared when my car got painted yellow....i took about an inch off the rear and 1/2 inch off the front...now theres no more rubbing =-)
Old 11-12-2004
TAQUITOS!!!!

Originally Posted by danscreations

the place i got my wheels/tires from has that tool...but they won't touch it unless they show me how to use it because the people there have cracked paint on their own and other's cars using that same tool that you attached. they just don't want to be held resposible for that kind of stuff...so i chickened out because i don't wanna crack my paint or have them do it and it possibly cracking also...
Old 11-13-2004
ThE FaMiLy SeDaN

rijowysock will become famous soon enough
cut rears.. fold fronts.. the fronts arent a problem except for the place where the clips connect fold themup and cut the plastic.. works fine.
Old 11-27-2004
Registered!!

ty.barrack is an unknown quantity at this point
just drop the tire size go to a 205 40 17, or 215 40 17, that'll drop the sidewall on the tire a bit, if you go with the 205s it'll probabaly fit really good, and you don't have to damage your car.

Quick Reply: Rollin fenders