Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Satisfied Ceramic front pads, and rear bonded shoes

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
phatcyclist is an unknown quantity at this point
Satisfied Ceramic front pads, and rear bonded shoes

Well, for everyone complaining about how weak our brakes are from the factory, BUY these!! I have them on my car, and they are a night and day difference from the stock, I auto-x, and do many curvy mountain road runs in my car, and these brakes are fantasic.

Tire rack sells these for about $70 for all 4 wheels, thats almost $30 LESS than honda wants for the sub-par OEM replacements. The only other helpfull knowlege I can give you is, if youve never done drum brakes before, DRAW a diagram of what everything looks like when you take the drum off, because there are lots of parts; also, keep an eye on the cylander, make sure you dont push it too far one way or the other, or some fluid will leak out, and you could possible get air in your lines.

Bottom line, these kick ****, and for everyone thinking about doing the expensive disc conversion, try and see if these will fit the bill for you.
Old 09-02-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Dude, those pads and shoes are pretty much the same as OEM, except they are ceramic material. For the $51 you spent on the pads, you should have got some high perfomance ones like hawk or hawk HPS, and you would have only paid about $10-$20 more, but you would have felt more of a difference. You auto cross and those would be better. Next time look into some high perfomance pads like hawk, Axxis, AEM, EBC, although I wouldnt recommend EBC, they arent really rotor friendly.
Old 09-03-2004
Registered!!

phatcyclist is an unknown quantity at this point
well, my stopping power improved dramatically with these. Companys like EBC, and Hawk, dont make better rear shoes, which really throws the braking system off balence. If any other companies make better shoes, I think it would be worth an extra 5 per wheel, but these are the only ones I ever found.
Old 09-03-2004
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by phatcyclist
well, my stopping power improved dramatically with these. Companys like EBC, and Hawk, dont make better rear shoes, which really throws the braking system off balence. If any other companies make better shoes, I think it would be worth an extra 5 per wheel, but these are the only ones I ever found.
You dont get much braking from the shoes anyway. Its like 70/30. Getting better shoes really wont make a difference. Besides I have had the same honda brake shoes on for almost 30,000 miles and they still look brand new. There is pretty much no wear on them. And there is barely any dust in there either. And I still get excellent braking. I have hawk pads and they work really good.

If you want better shoes, go with porterfield pads and shoes. Someone posted it along time ago and they are like $90 for the pads and $80 for the shoes. Here is the thread

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...hoes+installed
Old 09-03-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Originally Posted by phatcyclist
Well, for everyone complaining about how weak our brakes are from the factory, BUY these!! I have them on my car, and they are a night and day difference from the stock, I auto-x, and do many curvy mountain road runs in my car, and these brakes are fantasic.

Tire rack sells these for about $70 for all 4 wheels, thats almost $30 LESS than honda wants for the sub-par OEM replacements. The only other helpfull knowlege I can give you is, if youve never done drum brakes before, DRAW a diagram of what everything looks like when you take the drum off, because there are lots of parts; also, keep an eye on the cylander, make sure you dont push it too far one way or the other, or some fluid will leak out, and you could possible get air in your lines.

Bottom line, these kick ****, and for everyone thinking about doing the expensive disc conversion, try and see if these will fit the bill for you.

Do you happen to have the part number for those pads?
Old 09-03-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Tinman
Do you happen to have the part number for those pads?
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...mium&x=70&y=12
Old 09-30-2011
Registered!!

Boomers-Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Satisfied Ceramic front pads, and rear bonded shoes

I've got a 2002 Civic LX Sedan - nothing fancy, all stock. The problem I've got is my car eats front rotors - pads seem to wear slowly but the rotors get easily warped. And no, we are not hard on the brakes. I've tried OEM rotors and aftermarket stuff and have had no success. The metalic pads were good but lots of dust and went to ceramic and they last a lot longer but the rotors - bummer.
Suggestions? I live in Canada so names of products would help, Thanks!

Personal email is brian-beattie@sympatico.ca
Old 09-30-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Talk about bringing a thread back from the dead.

Get ur rotors resurfaced properly and then bed the pads in pepeely. I'd u get ceramic pads they should be much nicer on ur rotors than other materials
Old 10-01-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

^ Agreed

Sounds to me like your brake pads are way too aggressive for your rotors
If you follow my build thread, I just swapped out my brakes for Brembo blank rotors and Akebono Ceramic pads, love em.
Stopping distance isn't on par with Hawk+ pads, but the noise reduction, and decreased rotor wear is really worth it.