Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Burning out.... tread loss?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Project2k2 is on a distinguished road
Burning out.... tread loss?

JUst as the title says. I want to know if you lose a lot of tread when you burn out, not just normally, but in a water box at the drag strip. Is there any difference between just regularly burning out and burning out in the water box treadwear wise? Any info would help.

Oh and also. SInce I am going to the track tommarow. SHould I put on my stock fronts. Or run with my 17's. With my 17's before I ran a 16 flat. Would my stocks make that much of a difference?

-Derek
Old 01-16-2004
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
The tread loss is probably comparable to normal burn outs, the water just makes braking the tires loose easier.

as far as your stocks out performing the 17s, well that depends on how sticky the rubber is that you have on your stocks.... Yes the stocks will have a lower rotatioal mass = more power to the ground but if the tires cant take the power you'll just spin the tires longer....