Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Best Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01civicUP is an unknown quantity at this point
Best Brakes

Who makes the best brake upgrade kit for the money? just curious on who has them and what they think of them. thanks
Old 11-10-2003
Registered!!

SlickCivic2K3 is an unknown quantity at this point
AEM!
Old 11-10-2003
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
NOT WORTH THE $$$$ You'll get just as good of brake performance if you upgrade the pads and shoes as you would getting a big brake kit. the only really big advantage a Big brake kit affords is in thermal effencency. so unless you are suffering form excessive brake fade, just look in to getting a good rotor, and some good pads/shoes.

If your doing it for looks, have at it. If you are looking for better braking, there are better cheeper ways of doing it.

Brake system info

Old 11-10-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
If you got the coin, then the Brembo GranTurismo kit is the ****... but is also something like $1800 per axle.
Since thats obscene, Wilwood's kit replaces the front calipers and rotors and its like $650 or something.

No matter what you do, its gonna throw off the proportioning and distribution of the system... so really the best idea is to get some better rotors and pads that are stock sized.
Old 11-10-2003
Registered!!

01civicUP is an unknown quantity at this point
well if i get the brembos or soemthing like that can i get the roportioning and distribution of the system adjusted?
Old 11-10-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Thats getting a bit more involved. but yes you could get a porpoting valve and adjust it form there. Does your civic have ABS? If it does then you can run in to even more problems.

ABS Vs Big brake kits

Like I said before, big brakes dont really give you much.

Taken from here

Bigger rotors will make your friends think you are cool, bigger rotors look sexy, but bigger rotors do not stop the car. What a bigger rotor will do is lower the overall operating temperature of the brakes – which is a GREAT idea IF your temperatures are causing problems with other parts of the braking system. Take for example a F500 racecar – a small 800 pound single seat formula car. While the brakes are certainly much smaller than those found on a 3,000 pound GT1 Camaro, that does not necessarily mean that they need to be made larger. In fact, swapping on a GT1 brake package would probably do more harm than good – that’s a lot of steel hanging on the wheel that needs to accelerate each time the ‘go’ pedal is pushed. So, the motto of this story is bigger is better until your temperatures are under control. After that point, you are doing more harm than good…unless you really like the look (and hey – some of us do!).
So are you experiancing a lot of brake fade??? Other wises keep the stock sized rotors and upgrade the pads and shoes.
Old 11-12-2003
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
I recently installed power slot, slotted rotors with the aem pads and am etremely satisfied with the performance and look. a little over 200 bux for all is hard to beat.
Old 11-14-2003
Registered!!

JamesL is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a the Wilwood kit on my car, which i use for HPDE. I ran the stock brakes before, with brembo blanks and upgraded pads. They stopped the car quite well, but at the end of a 25 min run session, there was definite fading. Truthfully, with the Wilwoods, it does actually feel like my car stops faster and stronger.... maybe its all in my head though...
Old 11-18-2003
Registered!!

Civictuner04 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have Brembo drilled rotors and brembo pads and they make a world of difference. My car brakes so much sooner and smoother than before. And they dont cost that much over stock stuff.
Old 11-20-2003
Registered!!

DaCurryman is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Civictuner04
I have Brembo drilled rotors and brembo pads and they make a world of difference. My car brakes so much sooner and smoother than before. And they dont cost that much over stock stuff.
How much is not that much?
Old 11-22-2003
Registered!!

JamesL is an unknown quantity at this point
brembo rotors are like $120 for a pair i believe... and pads are anywhere from $45-100.
Old 11-22-2003
Registered!!

jblayz1 is an unknown quantity at this point
best brakes?

OEM