Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

How to choose tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trusted
How to choose tires?

I have no idea how to choose tires for my car, so i need some help and information. I plan on getting some 17s but dont know what kind of tires to get. Im not quite sure what im even suppose to look for Ive been searching the forums and reading but im still confused. I remember there use to be a thread that talked about the basics of wheels and tires, but i cant seem to find it. Im just looking for some tires that will last and also give me handeling at least as good as stock. Any help would be great. THanks
Old 09-07-2003
Registered!!

Vinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trusted
Im sry about the double post, my internet sucks
Old 09-07-2003
Bobaganoosh!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud of
Did you try the Tire Calculator
Old 09-07-2003
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to all
what he said ^^
Old 09-07-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Im just looking for some tires that will last and also give me handeling at least as good as stock.
You need to be more specific than that. Stock tires are always the worst handling, cheapest rocks that a company can put on a car. Just how much stick do you want? Are you willing to sacrifice wear to get it? How comfortable of a ride? All season or summer only? Price range?
Need more details.
Old 09-08-2003
Registered!!

well, if stock are the worst possible handeling, then i guess anything i choose would be better? Im not exactly sure how id judge how much "stick" id want since ive alwayz been on stock tires. I think wear is one of the more important critera that i have, if the stick is better than stock i dont think id complain. When it comes to how comfortable i want the ride, the more comfortable the merrier. Price isnt a prob at this point.
Old 09-08-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
If you want comfy... then definately 215/45/17, the problem is most tires in that size are of the performance variety. Not too many all seasons are available.
Pirelli P7000 Supersports are alright. I heard they get a little noisy as they wear, but I don't know what thats compared to.
Bridgestone Potenza RE950s are excellent all around tires.

If you just need summer tires, there's lots more to choose from.
Bang for the buck, you can't beat Yoko AVS ES100s. They're $97 each from Tire Rack.
Some people like Khumo 712s, others say they suck, same goes for the Ecsta Supra. I guess its just preference.
Falken 512s are supposed to be alright. They're a bit on the hard side, but if you don't need to stick like glue, I'm sure they're fine.