Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Can someone please explain how camber kits work and share info on them pleeasse!!!!

Old 12-14-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slammed2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Can someone please explain how camber kits work and share info on them pleeasse!!!!

OK, so my car is pretty low and everyone is telling me that i am going to kill my winter tires because of the camber, so can someone just please explain to me how they work, where they go, how much they cost...?
thanks
Old 12-14-2002
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
Camber, kits are generally for those who have modified suspensions, namely for those that have their car dropped. When this occurs (lowering) the factory adjustment may no longer get the vehicles camber and toe within desired range.

Cost $120 - $200

Old 12-14-2002
Registered!!

ihaveacivic is an unknown quantity at this point
when you lower your car i dont think it does that.. i think the wheels look like this if you look at them dead on.. " / ... \ " all camber kits do is help to fix that so it look like this agian " |.....| "

that toe in/out stuff is when you adjust a bar that is on the car on the front wheels i am not sure if you can do it on the back ones..
Old 12-14-2002
Registered!!

CivicVTec is an unknown quantity at this point
for the front, u can simply adjust the ***** around the control arm area
for the rear, u have to get a new camber kit
Old 12-14-2002
Registered!!

EternalVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
well, "ihaveacivic" was most correct,

camber is the term used to descibe the inward or outward tilt of the tire referenced by the top of the tire, for example, this is positive camber \...../, this is negative camber /.....\

our cars come from the factory with no camber i believe, or l.....l

when you lower the car from the factory setting, you get negative camber; /.....\

depending on how much positive or negative camber is in the suspension, it will affect tire wear, because more weight will be on the one side of the tread that the other side, tires tend to wear more. a camber kit allows you to adjust the amount of camber in the suspension. usually, if your car is lowered, its set at or near the factory setting.

on race cars however, they want a little more negative camber /.....\ than a factory setting because if it was at the factory setting, under hard cornering, the suspension would go from this l.....l, to this \...../

so, an aggressive negative camber setting is set so that when the car goes through a turn, the forces will make the tires go from this /.....\, to this l.....l, thus achieving the maximum possible tread area touching the road for better grip.

thats a baisic jist of it, theres also toe settings, like previously mentioned, and caster

toe is the inwards or outwards position of the front of the tire. toe mainly affects stability, its best explained on Gran Tourismo # A-spec. but baisicly, keep them with very little or no toe, and youll b fine.

caster is the tilt off of the vertical axis of the spindle, or steering knuckle, for example, a shopping cart's front wheels. this helps the steering wheel "come back" after you make a turn, meaning you can let it slide through your hands.

if looking at the drivers side, imagine a like going from the top of the strut to the bottom where it meets the lower control arm, now tilt the top backwards, you now have positive tilt. this will give you more control and stability, however, the bumps in the road will feel worse because the "shock" of the bump will more easily travel up the steering and into your hands.

now tilt it forward from vertical, this is negative camber. this will be less stable and wont handle as good, but this is what causes the steering to "come back" and also eleviates bump harshness.

to get the best of both worlds most cars have a zero caster setting, that is, its completely vertical.

hope i helped and didnt confuse you
Old 12-15-2002
Registered!!

sumama is an unknown quantity at this point
cant u just get an alignment and problem solved??
Old 12-16-2002
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
you cant just get an alignment because without the camber kit, they cant really adjust the camber. they could probably adjust it .1 or .2 degrees but nothing near 2 degrees with stock control arms.