Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Rota Wheels: Any good? and some info you might find useful

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013
Registered!!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Erf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of light
Rota Wheels: Any good? and some info you might find useful

If I sound ill-educated pardon my lack of knowledge because I just started researching Rota Wheels.
So I was researching the different types of wheel manufacturers and forged was the best (and most expensive.)

I went over to the official Rota wheels website www.rotawheels.com, and they are a Philippines based company that distribute their wheels to dealers. Their company basically creates imitations of other brand name wheels.
One example would be the Rota Attack= Gram Lights 57cz

or the Rota WTC = 5Zigen ZR+520

Forged manufacturing=best quality in terms of finished product and lighter weight compared to casting.

From www.rotawheels.com: " From design to casting, from machining to testing... every step of the way is a process of precision and thoroughness, backed by state-of-the-art technology. The process can be simplified into six steps."

They use casting as the process.

Another Google search took me here to an article here :http://jalopnik.com/knockoff-wheelma...eel-1137837262

So in summary: Rota wheels makes replicas of other companies ideas, and they are a legit company based in the Philippines, however, there are numerous COUNTERFEIT Rota Wheels that are sold on Ebay that are made in China and sent to Malaysia for distribution.

My main question is: Given the scenario here "If Rota Wheels is a copycat wheel-maker, being copied by a counterfeit wheel-maker copycat, why are the authentic Rota wheels so expensive? I mean why not get the actual brand of the wheel?

What are your thoughts on Rota Wheels and its popularity among Hondas, Acuras, and Subarus?

Why do people go through the hassle of finding the Rota Wheels and not getting a better quality wheel?

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-27-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rota Wheels: Any good? and some info you might find useful

IMO:
Most people only care about CHEAP. (Walmart, AutoZone thrive on this)
Enough to make it worthwhile, anyway.

This drives knockoffs into the market.

Most people can't distinguish between cast and forged aluminum.
Most people can't distinguish between real and fake.

This drives counterfeits into the market.
Cheaper yet!

Even when someone wants the real thing and is willing to pay the bux for it....
If the market is flooded with fakes and nobody knows how to identify the real deal, the counterfeiters win.

Slap a big name sticker on it and someone will buy it.

Same deal with fake Brembo brakes......
Wheel bearings
Genuine parts
Airbag components
Scantools
The list is nearly endless, any area.
Clothing
Anything there is substantial market for, it's worth counterfeiting if they can get a chunk of that market.

YMMV
Old 11-27-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Rotas are not exactly "Counterfit" wheels.

They make "Replicas" of popular wheels (there are subtle differences if you know how to look for them).
Their process of manufacturing cast wheels brings production costs way down compared to a forged wheel; which in turn means savings for the end consumer as well.

Sometimes (In this economy, most of the times) folks aren't able to afford the nicer things. (Perhaps that's why some are driving civics)
These name brands like Volk, Spoon, 5zigen, Gram, Work, etc come at a premium and most of us aren't too fortunate to be able to afford those premiums but still have a desire for the look, and there is a market there to fulfill. Then in come brands like XXR, Rota, Konig, and the such.

Of course quality and performance wise, they are nothing compared to the forged wheels, but they achieve the look that people desire at a fraction of the cost.
If you do your research, you will see a lot of damaged Rotas due to people misusing them. They are designed as replicas, not an exact copy of the real thing. They are not meant to be heavily tracked or abused, so use your better judgement.

To answer you,
Rotas are very popular among japanese tuners.
Moreso:
Slipstreams = Spoon SW-388
Grid Racing = Volk TE37

When authentic Volk wheels cost $800+ per wheel, and Rota's costing ~$160 and you're just looking for that style, which would you choose to buy?
All it comes down to is price, some people would skimp out on quality if it means saving them a buck.
Personally? I run Rota Grids myself, I don't take my car to the track, nor do I drive very aggressively. They achieve the look I like, and it suits my wallet.

EDIT:
Sorry, I'm tired and it's late.
I just reread what you wrote...I didn't know there were counterfit Rotas on the market.
For that, I refer to @ezone's post and suggest you buy from registered venders. (Rotas are not expensive to begin with)
Old 11-27-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

legality-wise, if Rota does not say their wheels have the same model-name of the wheel design, that eases off things a lot. if the design of the wheel is copyrighted, that might pose an issue, but small changes could still be allowed.
If a cheap copycat does say they are rota, then it's a biiiiig issue. they are trying to use any marketing rota might have done.
Old 11-27-2013
Registered!!

Erf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
IMO:
Most people only care about CHEAP. (Walmart, AutoZone thrive on this)
Enough to make it worthwhile, anyway.

This drives knockoffs into the market.

Most people can't distinguish between cast and forged aluminum.
Most people can't distinguish between real and fake.

This drives counterfeits into the market.
Cheaper yet!

Even when someone wants the real thing and is willing to pay the bux for it....
If the market is flooded with fakes and nobody knows how to identify the real deal, the counterfeiters win.

Slap a big name sticker on it and someone will buy it.

Same deal with fake Brembo brakes......
Wheel bearings
Genuine parts
Airbag components
Scantools
The list is nearly endless, any area.
Clothing
Anything there is substantial market for, it's worth counterfeiting if they can get a chunk of that market.

YMMV

Yeah but in a statement issued by the official Rota Wheels company they said "The most distinct feature of the 'copies' is that they are embossed with a ROTA marking on the face of the wheel, whereas the genuine ROTA [wheel] has none. "

Read more: http://www.autoindustriya.com/auto-i...#ixzz2lrZXZEUi

Im guessing the general public is not aware.
Old 11-27-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Rotas are not exactly "Counterfit" wheels.

They make "Replicas" of popular wheels (there are subtle differences if you know how to look for them).
Their process of manufacturing cast wheels brings production costs way down compared to a forged wheel; which in turn means savings for the end consumer as well.

Sometimes (In this economy, most of the times) folks aren't able to afford the nicer things. (Perhaps that's why some are driving civics)
These name brands like Volk, Spoon, 5zigen, Gram, Work, etc come at a premium and most of us aren't too fortunate to be able to afford those premiums but still have a desire for the look, and there is a market there to fulfill. Then in come brands like XXR, Rota, Konig, and the such.

Of course quality and performance wise, they are nothing compared to the forged wheels, but they achieve the look that people desire at a fraction of the cost.
If you do your research, you will see a lot of damaged Rotas due to people misusing them. They are designed as replicas, not an exact copy of the real thing. They are not meant to be heavily tracked or abused, so use your better judgement.

To answer you,
Rotas are very popular among japanese tuners.
Moreso:
Slipstreams = Spoon SW-388
Grid Racing = Volk TE37

When authentic Volk wheels cost $800+ per wheel, and Rota's costing ~$160 and you're just looking for that style, which would you choose to buy?
All it comes down to is price, some people would skimp out on quality if it means saving them a buck.
Personally? I run Rota Grids myself, I don't take my car to the track, nor do I drive very aggressively. They achieve the look I like, and it suits my wallet.

Thanks! This makes more sense as to why a buddy of mine recently slapped four (authentic) Rotas on his RSX for ~700. At first I thought they'd be overpriced, but now I see why the demand for them has been high.
Also, in google images if you search "Rota" or "Rota Wheels" there are multiple pictures of the wheels broken which is absurd!
Old 11-27-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly.
$4K for a set of wheels, without tires... Or $700? Especially on a Honda.

One of my rims were pretty much destroyed a month or so after getting them when I ran a curb in the rain.
Now, if I had a $800 wheel, I'd be crying for god knows how long.
I just spent $150 to get a new wheel, swap out the tire and I was on my merry way.
Old 11-27-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Erf_Em2
Yeah but in a statement issued .....
Yeah, I read some of that last night. It was late LOL
Im guessing the general public is not aware.
Agree 100%. That's why I said
Old 11-27-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

why would anybody want rims that cost more money then the actual car there driving.it doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 11-27-2013
Registered!!

rustycivic is on a distinguished road

Here are my thoughts on the matter.

for older Rota's when the company was still starting out, they did have quality issues, including cracking, breaking, etc.....now though, their wheels are quality tested and approved.

I own a set of Rota Slipstreams. I really only bought them because I liked the style, and I paid $200 for all 4 plus my steelies with bald tires. Now, with the whole replica vs. real debate.....I have no problem with replicas.....as long as you don't pass them off as real. For example, I will never throw Regamaster Evo stickers on my Slipstreams. THere are minute differences between real and fakes, and if you have a trained eye, you can tell the difference.

I won't be rocking the Rotas forever though.....I will be getting a set of real wheels. Why? Because high quality wheels are worth it IMO. They tend to be better made (for example Rota Grids are cast......while Volk TE37s are forged. Forged wheels are lighter, and stronger.) , and they also hold their resale value ($600 set of Rotas will sell for around $400-$500 w/ tires......A $2000 set of TE37s can sell for $1500 without tires. Plus I get the satisfaction of knowing I have a superior set of wheels that are the real deal. That's just how I am......I like to save and buy something worthwhile.
Old 11-28-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

on the track, the forged would cost less than replacing the wheels every once in a while.

note that the wheel is actually deforming in some of the corners.

[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1457& transactionid=1385648682-692452723&posted_by=_www.civicforums.com&youtube_v ideo_id=mHj4vnSEdtg[/autostream]

did you say thank you to your suspension/wheel/tires today?

Last edited by sdaidoji; 11-28-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-28-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

^ crazy video. I am thankful my suspension keeps me safe.

In track environment your better off with some Works, Harts etc but for daily use Rotas are great.

Now if you are tracking your Rotas with Raceland coilovers and eBay sway bar I would expect the coils or bar to fail befor the wheels would.
Old 11-28-2013
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

because rotas will literally explode when the vtec kicks in because race car.
Old 11-29-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Originally Posted by lowlife9
because rotas will literally explode when the vtec kicks in because race car.
^This Proven fact.
Old 11-29-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

LOL, Lowlife!
Old 12-02-2013
Registered!!

desmo888 is an unknown quantity at this point

There has been a HUGE debate over this on another car forum I frequent. Rota started making a copy/replica of the iconic Fuchs wheel found on Porsches in the 1970s and 80s. The original Fuchs are forged aluminum. The Rotas are gravity cast aluminum. The original Fuchs wheels are now 20-35 years-old, so availability an issue as well as safety on tracked cars.

The naysayers all shot down Rota as having inferior quality and inferior production methods (gravity casting is about the cheapest way to make a wheel, whereas forging is about the most expensive way to make a wheel). But the Rota Foxes have been out for about 4 years, now. And I can't recall one person coming back to complain that a Rota wheel failed at the track. Some guys had runout issues (wheel not perfectly cylindrical) when they first purchased their wheels, but no one has had any track-fatigue or track-failure of a Rota Fox wheel that I can recall. I have a couple friends who have tracked their Rota-shod cars without problem. (Though a buddy did break a wheel during a crash--but that's different than failing at speed due to fatigue or inferior construction.)
Old 12-02-2013
Registered!!

what does the fox say, who gives a Fuchs.
Old 12-07-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Exactly.
$4K for a set of wheels, without tires... Or $700? Especially on a Honda.

One of my rims were pretty much destroyed a month or so after getting them when I ran a curb in the rain.
Now, if I had a $800 wheel, I'd be crying for god knows how long.
I just spent $150 to get a new wheel, swap out the tire and I was on my merry way.
sounds good

Originally Posted by rustycivic
Here are my thoughts on the matter.

for older Rota's when the company was still starting out, they did have quality issues, including cracking, breaking, etc.....now though, their wheels are quality tested and approved.

I own a set of Rota Slipstreams. I really only bought them because I liked the style, and I paid $200 for all 4 plus my steelies with bald tires. Now, with the whole replica vs. real debate.....I have no problem with replicas.....as long as you don't pass them off as real. For example, I will never throw Regamaster Evo stickers on my Slipstreams. THere are minute differences between real and fakes, and if you have a trained eye, you can tell the difference.

I won't be rocking the Rotas forever though.....I will be getting a set of real wheels. Why? Because high quality wheels are worth it IMO. They tend to be better made (for example Rota Grids are cast......while Volk TE37s are forged. Forged wheels are lighter, and stronger.) , and they also hold their resale value ($600 set of Rotas will sell for around $400-$500 w/ tires......A $2000 set of TE37s can sell for $1500 without tires. Plus I get the satisfaction of knowing I have a superior set of wheels that are the real deal. That's just how I am......I like to save and buy something worthwhile.
Agreed. Better for track use also if you save up and get forged wheels.

Originally Posted by lowlife9
why would anybody want rims that cost more money then the actual car there driving.it doesn't make much sense to me.
Same here.

Originally Posted by GolNat
^ crazy video. I am thankful my suspension keeps me safe.

In track environment your better off with some Works, Harts etc but for daily use Rotas are great.

Now if you are tracking your Rotas with Raceland coilovers and eBay sway bar I would expect the coils or bar to fail befor the wheels would.
I heard Ebay doesn't sell good aftermarket parts. This one time I looked up CAIs and only had some off brand crappy material ones for $50 I wouldn't trust haha. Saving up seems more logical.

$700 for a set of 4 Rota wheels sounds great. Personally id go wit a $600 tire and wheel budget for a Honda, cause its a Honda.