Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Is it necessary to roll front fenders?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CGaud is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it necessary to roll front fenders?

I'm currently lowered on Buddy Club N+ Coils with '03 stock alloys but come this spring I'm planning on going with a 16x7 (+40) and use spacers to make them flush (not hella flush because I still want function w/o rub). I believe the best tire size is 205/50/16 and I'm aiming for around 1 finger gap all around.

I would really like to keep the front fender liner intact because it snows out here. I'll be renting a fender roller and so I'd rather not have to do this twice. Could anyone post up a pic of their rolled front fenders so that I could have an idea of what to aim for? I think the rears will be pretty straight forward.

Old 10-31-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Is it necessary to roll front fenders?

I don't think you will need to roll the fenders with 1 finger gap all around and that size wheel. I'm not an expert on it though. I thought fender rolling was for low offset wheels and no finger gap.
Old 11-01-2012
Registered!!

I think you could be right. I always like to prepare for the unexpected and if I can save myself some time later it's always a plus.

I'm still open to a pic of rolled front fender though also curious if I could run a beefier tire...

(I will browse the member rides section in the meantime)
Old 11-01-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

I didn't have to.
But I'm also not very low, only about 1.25"

My fronts are flush with the fender line and I have no rubbing issues at all. Only I had to fix a misshapen part of my splash guard first.

The rears are a whole different story. I have a 1-finger gap and still have occasional rubbing, even after rolling fenders (heat & hammer technique). I think I just have a ridiculous tire size :P
Old 11-01-2012
Registered!!

Krud what size are you running?

Last edited by CGaud; 11-01-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-01-2012

krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

215/45 R17
17x7, 37mm offset
Old 11-02-2012
Registered!!

Hmmmm. Bet they look good. I debated on going w/ 17's but I already took a hit going with the stiffer coils and I think I need more cushion in the ride. Having my fenders rolled today so I'll see how it goes
Old 11-03-2012
Registered!!

Largen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by krudmuphin
215/45 R17
17x7, 37mm offset
Dunno my offset but that's what I'm running! They look awesome.
Plus I'm not lowered... Yet...
Old 11-03-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Ok I couldn't have sworn I cOmmented on this

I ran 205/50/16 on my slipstreamed without any problems. And I was tucked.
Old 11-05-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
Ok I couldn't have sworn I cOmmented on this

I ran 205/50/16 on my slipstreamed without any problems. And I was tucked.
no comment... it was included in the infraction you gave to me though

thanks for the info though... my guy flaked out on me so I will wait on the fender rolling for now and just wait until I order up rims. Still debating on 16's or 17's.
Old 11-05-2012

17"s are alright in terms of ride comfort. Our cars are surprisingly smooth. It's not nearly as bad as my friend's Smart ForTwo with 17" rims. THAT is a rough ride.

But if you go 17", try to find the narrowest contact patch you can. My 215s are very restrictive.
Old 11-05-2012
Registered!!

Let me see if I got this... 215 is the width of your tire, so you would recommend that if I go with a 17 inch rim I use a tire that is less wide and have them stretched which would narrow the contact patch of the tire? Does that make it more comfortable because there is less rolling resistance caused by the tire?

EDIT: I saw somewhere that another EM2 was running 225/50/16 (tight 1 finger gap) and his ride looked pretty nice although it didn't say whether he rubbed or not.

Last edited by CGaud; 11-05-2012 at 06:29 PM. Reason: added to post
Old 11-05-2012
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I had 205/40/17 and it was a rough ride on sportlines. I now have 205/50/16 and its still a rough ride with sportlines. I didn't notice a change in ride comfort between the 2 sizes. If your suspension is stiff, your ride will be stiff!

You could probably run a 215 with a higher offset wheel. What offset was the wheel with the 225's?
Old 11-06-2012

Basically I'm suggesting 205/45/R17.
Almost the same thing I have, but the tread of the tire is a bit narrower. (there is no stretching involved) It will give you a very slight advantage for fender clearance. I can't guarantee it makes a huge difference for ya, but it's worth a shot.
Old 11-06-2012
Registered!!

This was his set-up:

Wheels: Enkei RPF-1's
Specs: 16"x8" ET-38 10mm Rear Spacers & 5mm Front Spacers
Tire specs: 225/45-16
Suspension setup: Bc Br-racing coilovers-
Camber specs:-1.5 rear -.5 front

I really am leaning toward the 17's but I'm running a pretty stiff set up and with the stock tires my girlfriend has already noticed the difference in ride quality. I know nothing will be as comfortably as stock but I'm not looking to chatter too many teeth. I don't regret the suspension upgrade at all because the car handles so much better in the canyon.

When it comes to rims and tire set-ups I can learn a lot from you guys, thanks!
Old 11-06-2012

As Golnat mentioned, the difference in comfort between 16 and 17 is practically unnoticeable. The suspension is what causes most of the stiffness. Now if you had 18s or 19s, then we'd have a problem
Old 11-06-2012
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

my old set up I ran a 17x7.5 +45 with 25mm spacers all the way around and had to roll front and back. No finger gap in the front and was running 205/40/17 tires. Still rubbed a little in the front on certain on-ramps.
Old 11-07-2012
Registered!!

^^^
I've seen your car around the forum and like the styling a lot... I just purchased type-s rotors so I'll be switching to a 5x114.3 set up. I've read about 25mm spacers and I'm planning on getting some just need to make sure I get the proper rim offset. I'd imagine that I'd have to run a good amount of camber as well so one finger gap wouldn't be an option.

When you roll the front fenders do you have to remove the fender liner?
Old 11-07-2012

It's probably best that you do remove the liner so you don't break it.
However, be aware that getting it back in might be impossible...

The fender liner is the whole reason I didn't want to roll my front fenders.
Old 11-08-2012
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

my fender liner is still there, Ill try and get a pic when I pull my brakes apart. I want to go with 17x9 +22 next spring so may have to do more fender work.
Old 11-08-2012
Registered!!

Yeah, I'd love to see your pics. So many choices in wheels and fitment a man can go crazy. I've been eyeing a set of Works but I'm on the fence because I'd hate to bend those wheels up. Decisions....
Old 11-08-2012
Registered!!

yup I cant make my mind up on what wheels to get next keep going back and forth on a few choices
Old 11-08-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

^
Volk TE37.
Anodized Bronze.
Old 11-08-2012

Volk TE37...

The only thing more cliché is Enkei RPF1s

Dare to be different!
Old 11-08-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Volk CE28
Anodized bronze.

Lmfao
Old 11-08-2012
Prelude Owner

RPF1's ftw. I'm saving up!! Everyone has them for a reason.

So light, reasonably priced and fresh:

Last edited by GolNat; 11-08-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-08-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Volk CE28
Anodized bronze.

Lmfao
some wheels on my list are te37s, work cr kai, work xd9 and advan rg2 just to name a few lol
Old 11-09-2012
Registered!!

^^^^
been looking at those all those as well and I have also been checking the classifieds for some Type-S blades but they are all pretty much curbed. My buddy has some black CE28s on his Subie and they look better than I expected. I might try to test fit them but I think they're 17x9.

I guess u get what u pay for in most cases... With the Enkeis you get centercaps at least... I know with Works they are sold separately and with certain wheels you are limited to particular offsets and widths.

I'm a fan of the CR's and RGII.
Old 11-09-2012

Advan RG2 <3
Old 11-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by krudmuphin
The suspension is what causes most of the stiffness.
I'm gonna have to disagree. Was running 205/40/R17 when I bought the Civic and changed to 225/45/R17 and it's a world of difference. Had to roll the back fenders tho.

Quick Reply: Is it necessary to roll front fenders?