Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

worst noise i ever heard from the civic

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
worst noise i ever heard from the civic

so i was driving to work in the morning, rainy but not midwest downpour, but there was enough water to splash around a bit. no problem, have steelies and hubcaps so water doesnt do much to the brakes and in fact braking was even better on wet roads (with the good tires). got to work, parked, and the car was slightly moving so i used the ebrake. well 8 hrs later its mostly dry but been raining on and off. i get in and get ready to pull out and for maybe 10 secs of me creeping out, it sounded like a train was leaving the station. the loudest and most bone chilling metal on metal noise you will ever hear. several cars around me had wtf-bbq faces i will never forget lol. lesser noises continued for a good 15 mins including scraping and grinding each time the wheels made a full turn. luckily the noise eventually went away. ive always had issues with this car in the wet and can never figure out why. brakes were all done up at the dealer a year ago and should be broken in by now. it seemed like the noises were from the rear drums only. which i cant understand how they would even get wet being closed up and also with steelies and hubs over them. unless its water vapor forming flash rust and somehow having the ebrake made it worse. from now on im finding a parking place i can go to without having to set the ebrake. maybe it might lessen the noises.
Old 07-23-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: worst noise i ever heard from the civic

Probably rust. Normal.
They will do that after you wash it too, overnight with dew, whatever.

Moisture in the air makes rotors build up surface rust quick. The steel used in the rotors rusts up in a hurry.
As long as it goes away after a few stops, all should be great.

Drum brakes WILL load up with water if your lake is deep enough. Drum brakes are not sealed at all.
(If they were actually wet) Setting the handbrake causes water to be trapped between the shoes and drum surfaces, so it takes a long time to dry out and gives more places for rust to form.
If they had been left alone long enough, the shoes would have stuck to the drums and you would have had a huge POP as they broke free.
Drums take far longer than discs to grind the rust out of too, just because they do less of the work.
Old 07-23-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Only way to find out is to bust open the drums to see if water's getting in
Old 07-24-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i had a similar problem after i got done replacing my pads i took the car out to seat the pads and as i was returning i heard like you said the loudest screech of metal on metal sound ive ever heard i though i messed up somewhere so i did what most people wouldn't do and kept driving faster. come to find out a rock lodged itself between the rotor because i heard it come shooting out and the noise stopped immediately
Old 07-24-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

thanks guys. i know drums are not sealed, but it seemed like there are not many places for water to enter with the cover on, compared to the fronts. ive had the rears stick too on occasion and had to actually gas the car a bit to pop them.
Old 07-27-2012
I am Epic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Mine are always noticably louder after it rains and it pisses me off!!!! I cant figure out how the hell water gets insdie the drums and on the shoes.

Even when its dried up and in normal weather I get a "chu chu chu chu chu" sound from the shoes when i brake. As the brakes heat up and been driving for a while it gets louder.

I pull up the ebrake and I get the same, chu chu chu chu chu

Im trying to figure out if my shoes are lose again. How to tell if both are tight enough? meaning grabbing and making full contact?

My ebrake handle goes up about 9 notches and when fully pulled it grabs and can hold the car even on a slight decline.