Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

2004 need new front brake pads, but rotors too?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04civic-dude is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 need new front brake pads, but rotors too?

Hi everyone,
I know this is probably a really basic question for many of you, but I did some searching and couldn't exactly find the answer to my question, so hence this post...

I brought my 2004 Civic to a service station about 3 weeks ago to get a state inspection and oil change. This was one of those gas station/service station places and was my first time there. While on the lift the service fellow told me he'd recommend a couple of things:

1) front brake pads (he said I had about 1k miles left before I would also need new rotors) - quoted $110 parts+labor
2) wheel alignment - quoted $70
3) 2 control arms and bushings - quoted $200

My main concern right now is the brake replacement and keeping my costs somewhat reasonable. I called a garage I'd been to a couple of times to ask for a quote on the front brake work. I'm not a huge fan of this garage because I think their prices are on the high side, but nonetheless, they do solid work. Anyway, they told me the car would almost certainly have to have new rotors too. Otherwise they claimed I will feel massive vibrations. Is this true?

I called another local garage which I'd also been too and they seem a bit more honest, but it's a smaller garage than the first and also one of those gas station/service station combos. Anyway, they asked me if I need just brakes or rotors too and I said just brakes. He quoted me $125 for the front brakes and never mentioned having to replace the rotors as well to prevent massive vibrations.

Front the great knowledge and experience on this forum. Do I likely need to get the rotors replaced or not? I want to be safe and have a smooth ride, but I'm also on a tight budget right now due to being currently unemployed.

Thanks for any advice!!
Old 11-22-2010
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2004 need new front brake pads, but rotors too?

If you drove on the pads to the point they were making screeching sounds then you'll probably need rotors. Generallly you should not need rotors on your first pad change as you can resurface them once. Your next pad change you'll need new rotors most likely. I used to go 2 pads changes to one 1 rotor change on the front and 3 pad changes to one shoe change on the back drums.
Old 11-22-2010
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply Ronaldo.

I should also mention that I only bought the car about a year ago and am the 3rd owner. The 2nd owner took very good care of the car and I got it checked out when I bought it and the brakes and rotors were fine.

I am not hearing any screeching and never had with the brakes yet, but I don't want to get to that point. So, if I understand correctly, the rotors DO need to be changed regularly as well? Just not necessarily everytime the pad are changed. If that's the case, then maybe I should bite the bullet and get both changed. Hmm...
Old 11-22-2010
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prodresurgence will become famous soon enough

If your brake pads arn't grinding when you brake then they havn't done any damage to the rotors and do not need to be replaced. Also there is absolutly no reason to ever replace a control arm unless its been damaged from a collision. You only need to replace the 2 bushings in it which is very common. Some people will buy new control arms because they come with the bushings already pressed in and those people dont have access to a press. Sounds like you will have a shop do the work which means you only need the bushings, 4 total. The best are Energy Suspension which are polyurethane and will never need to be replaced again - the stock ones are basic rubber and rip really easly - search the forums for many threads on this. If you replace the bushings you will need an alignment. May also be a good time to look at your ball joints.
Old 11-22-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

wow those are very cheap price quotes what are you complaining about the cheapest brake pad and rotor kit i have seen online was 110 dollars and that's before labor cost.
Old 11-22-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
wow those are very cheap price quotes what are you complaining about the cheapest brake pad and rotor kit i have seen online was 110 dollars and that's before labor cost.
I wasn't complaining about the price so much as I don't want to get unnecessary work done. For instance, I've read that it usually isn't necessary to replace the bushings unless they are in really bad shape and affecting the ride, which mine are not. I don't want to pay to get the rotors replaced if it's completely unnecessary and they have plenty of life to them. I'm happy to pay for what is necessary for the car, but in order to boost revenues, some shops seem to be in the habit of telling you your car "needs" a lot of work which it really doesn't. I want my car to run well, but it doesn't need to be in showroom quality :-)
Old 11-22-2010
Registered!!

sam68 is an unknown quantity at this point

You could do it yourself for very cheap. If it were my car I would buy some pads $50 for OEM then take it apart and inspect everything myself including bushings and replace if needed. If the rotors look decent then just throw new pads on or take them to a auto parts store and have them turned for about $30, you can also just buy new rotors they are cheap for our cars Dezod has them for $110 pads and rotors. As far as alignment goes how do the tires look? If they are not wearing funny and it tracks strait I would leave it alone.

Last edited by sam68; 11-22-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-22-2010
Registered!!

sam68 is an unknown quantity at this point

From his first post it sounds like the guy is saying if he goes another 1K he would start eating into his rotors then would need new rotors. I think the $110 is just for pads & maybe if he is lucky resurfacing his rotors + labor. I say do it yourself it is so easy to do you will wonder why you ever paid anyone to do it.

Last edited by sam68; 11-22-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-22-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

110 is really cheap for brake pads and rotors, but then again, it might be crappy brakes

If you'd like to save money, just replace the brake pads yourself, and have a shop machine your rotors
You dont need new rotors unless the originals are pretty much effed up

The biggest reason for machining your rotors, or getting new ones, is because old brake pads wear down your rotors a bit, and machining them will give them a smooth flat surface to work on, lessening vibration

Alignment should be done every so often, and the control arms, I doubt you need to replace them, unless the tech told you that they are broken/warped
Old 11-23-2010
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

well the bottom line is that we really have no idea if you do or do not need any of the things that were mentioned . if i was you i would just replace the front pads yourself and thats it if it doesn't stop smoothly replace the rotors yourself its so easy anybody can do it as for the allignment i would get one its recommended.
Old 11-23-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Just like everyone else has said, brake pads take 15 minutes. My gf did mine for me once, and I'm not even sure she knows what a brake rotor is.
Your bushings are likely shot if you have a 2004, you should definitely replace them with OEM rubber ones. Its not just a matter of ride quality degrading if the bushings are failing, if they're in bad shape they could fail while your driving and you would completely loose the ability to steer. Getting the car repainted would be keeping her in showroom condition, bushings are required maintenance.
Old 11-23-2010
Registered!!

front lower control arms aren't just required maintenance they are actually faulty from 01-05 . i would get polyurethane energy suspension bushings you can get them from NAPA autozone basically any auto store there 50 bucks.
Old 11-23-2010
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prodresurgence will become famous soon enough

front lower control arms aren't just required maintenance they are actually faulty from 01-05 . i would get polyurethane energy suspension bushings you can get them from NAPA autozone basically any auto store there 50 bucks.
There is nothing wrong with the lower control arms, its only the bushings. To be clear.
Old 11-23-2010
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

I can feel more vibration from my suspension so I brought my car to dealer to check for suspension checking. They were nothing wrong with the suspension. I have thought about the bushings also since I own 2004 and the rubber might be worn out. Last year, I got the front engine mount replaced also. Have you changed bushings for your civic?
Old 11-23-2010
Registered!!

yes i pressed in energy suspension bushings.