Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Upgraded Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2k2civicsedan is an unknown quantity at this point
Upgraded Brakes

What are the best type of rotors to buy? Slotted or crossdrilled? And what brand? I want to upgrade my brakes with aftermarket ones but I don't want to replace the calipers. If I upgrade the brakes will I need a caliper relocator bracket? Also I want to upgrade my brake pads. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2007
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
Don't get cross drilled. Slotted is fine but OEM or brembo blanks will be sufficient. As for pads you have alot to choose from but most ppl choose hawk pads. Check out the power slot rotors and hawk pads combo from dezod. These are direct replacements and you won't have to change the position of your caliper. Another nice upgrade is getting stainless steel brake lines. Good luck. FYI I'm using EBC greenstuff pads and they're really good with light dust.
Old 01-26-2007
Registered!!

01civichfp is an unknown quantity at this point
the crossdrilled and slotted is a preference choice.... it just takes in the break dust and doesnt throw the dust all over your rims. i prefer the crossdrilled myself

my friend has brembo rotors & stock calipers on his 240sx and they are A-MAZING! It's an amazingly big difference!! If you only upgrade the rotors just make sure they are the same size as what's stock, im not sure what size it is on our car... but research.

as for brake pads... idk

-Joe
01' Civic HFP
Old 01-26-2007
Registered!!

ohsnapsjay08 will become famous soon enough
if you go big break rotors, then thats the time you need the relocator. as for slotted vs drilled, i hear that drill ones cracks (make sure to get a good brand) and slotted get dusty.
Old 01-26-2007
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
Unless you're racing, or just beating the **** outta your car, you shouldn't need drilled or slotted rotors. If you insist on one or the other, get slotted, probably Powerslot, as someone else mentioned. Personally, when I do my brakes in the spring, i'm going with just brembo blanks, and hawk pads.
Old 01-26-2007
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Rotors arnt going to make much of a difference one way or another in regards to stopping power. And for a street car, Drilled/Slotted/Blank/what ever... It matters even less. Pick one you think looks the best, as thats about all any of them are worth on the street. If you are tracking your car (Open track not autocross) then AVOID DRILLED ROTORS, but slotted may be usefull as they can help reduce the chance of glazing your pads over multiple hard stops. But like I said, for the street it really doesnt matter much and pick the one you like the looks of.

Now changing your pads will actually alter the "feel" of the brakes as well as how hard you can run the brakes with out fade. Hawk HP's are good as well as HPS's. Axxis makes some good pads aswell. My personal fav for street setups is Cobalt GT's, but I've also run Porterfield R4s's. Some pads dust more, some are more prone to squeak.. but thats pretty much your only concern for a street car

Note: Nither pads, fancy rotors, Huge calipers or what ever other "trick" brake parts you add will actually signifigantly shorten your stopping distances (60-0 distance). They will however alter how the "feel" of the brakes and how much preasure you need to push on the pedal in order to reach the tires maximum brake Torque. So, if you actually want to improve your stopping distances... you need to get grippier tires.
Old 01-26-2007
Official Wish He Knew It All

HyeHonda05 will become famous soon enough
Brembo Blanks + Hawk HPS Pads= the best brake package for our cars that actually works.....I have had them for a month now and I love them. Great stopping power....I used to have the cross-drilled/ slotted rotors from ebay...they sucked..ruined by pads and the rotors were chewed apart in 2 months...
Old 01-26-2007
Registered!!

clc5145 is an unknown quantity at this point
I just installed a set of powerslot slotted and hawk hps pads and they seem to "feel" alot better. I picked them up through summit racing for about 200 shipped. Also I just did the ss brake lines and they reduce the sponginess in the peddle.
Old 01-26-2007
Registered!!

2002civ is an unknown quantity at this point
EBC Brakes | Slotted Brake Rotors | Performance Brakes | Racing Brakes

EBC have good roters and pads, amazing difference in braking power. U could go for some green stuff.
Old 01-26-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all
y the blanks and not the slotted from brembo??
Old 01-26-2007
Dain Bramaged.

jester444 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cause, as was previously mentioned, slotted rotors are pointless unless you want to spend the extra money for the looks.
Old 01-26-2007
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LT2004ever
y the blanks and not the slotted from brembo??
Easy, Why spend Money on something that really isnt helping you stop better?

Slotting is really only usefull in helping reduce the chance of glazing your pads... but think about it. When's the last time you actually glazed a set of brake pads?
Old 01-26-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all
gotcha, i understand