Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Z Rated, Directional Tires?

Old 08-08-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ballatician has a spectacular aura aboutBallatician has a spectacular aura about
Z Rated, Directional Tires?

Is it possible to run non-directional H rated tires with Z rated directional tires as long as they are not on the same axel without any problems? If so, where to place the directional tires on the front or back? Thanks in advance...
Old 08-09-2006
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
You can, but be aware one end of the car is going to have more or less traction then the other... making handling possibly tricky, especially in non dry conditions.

And the speed rateing on a tire doesnt mean much except whats the "safe" speed they can be run up to with out having them destroy themselves, it doesnt comment on traction or any thing else.
Old 08-09-2006
Registered!!

Ballatician has a spectacular aura aboutBallatician has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Zzyzx
You can, but be aware one end of the car is going to have more or less traction then the other... making handling possibly tricky, especially in non dry conditions.

And the speed rateing on a tire doesnt mean much except whats the "safe" speed they can be run up to with out having them destroy themselves, it doesnt comment on traction or any thing else.
Thanks for the info. Which axel should I place the directional tires on the front or back?
Old 08-09-2006
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Tire shops are going to tell you to put the "grippier" tires on the back, becuse it will reduce the chance of the car oversteering and spinning. i would typically say put the grippier tires on the nose. but do what ever your comfortable with.

as far as which ones are "grippier".... not sure, in the rain the directional tires will be, in the dry... depends on the tires compound (whats the tread wear of the two?)