Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Loud Deep Clanking Noise when I brake, why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trusted
Loud Deep Clanking Noise when I brake, why?

I'm getting kind of a loud deep clanking noise whenever I'm driving over 15mph and then press my brake pedal. It seems to be coming from the driver's side and is making me somewhat nervous when I drive. Does anyone know the reason for this, what things should I check for? Is it possible something came loose? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2006
I need TP for my bunghole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
Maybe the brake pads are a little loose and when you reverse the slide back and when you brake going forward the they slide forward in the caliper.

Sears does a front and back brake inspection for $ 15.00 and if work is needed, they put the $15 toward the brake work.
Old 03-27-2006
Registered!!

Vinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trusted
do you guys think that it is safe to drive on?
Old 03-27-2006
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like the wheel bearings.

Do you hear a slight humming noise too?

If you've been driving on bad bearings it will start to hum when you drive.

I would get it replaced asap since you can't estimate when it might seize and your wheels lock up.

Last edited by LiKEaFeRiO; 03-27-2006 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-28-2006
Registered!!

If I put my car up on jacks and crawl under, is there anything I should look for?
Old 03-28-2006
Registered!!

boxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Vinnie
I'm getting kind of a loud deep clanking noise whenever I'm driving over 15mph and then press my brake pedal. It seems to be coming from the driver's side and is making me somewhat nervous when I drive. Does anyone know the reason for this, what things should I check for? Is it possible something came loose? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

NO NNOT SAFE I GOT INTO A ACCIDENT WITH THAT SAME SOUND!! IT WAS WARPED ROTOR AND WORN PADS! BADDLY!!!----> WARPED!!!! if uv seen my pics of my accident u dont want to mess with messed up brakes.... i was doing 40 coming to a stop and brakes made that clunking sound i slowed down to around 35 30 and hit a pacifa
Old 03-28-2006
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
siezed caliper. probably rubbing wrong
Old 03-28-2006
PWIT
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond repute
my breaks make a weird noise too... not a clunking, they stop fine and everything but when i let off the pedal it sounds like my car is weezing lol. its coming from the rear thats all i know... is it air in my breaklines?
Old 03-28-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by boxcarracer
NO NNOT SAFE I GOT INTO A ACCIDENT WITH THAT SAME SOUND!! IT WAS WARPED ROTOR AND WORN PADS! BADDLY!!!----> WARPED!!!! if uv seen my pics of my accident u dont want to mess with messed up brakes.... i was doing 40 coming to a stop and brakes made that clunking sound i slowed down to around 35 30 and hit a pacifa

what are signs of a warped rotor? I know I replaced my brake pads recently, no way they could be worn already, but my rotors im not so sure.
Old 03-28-2006
PWIT

CenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond repute
one way to tell is take your wheel off, take of the caliper, make sure the car is not in gear (N if you have an auto) and spin it, if it looks like its not moving right its warped, like if its wobbly.
Old 03-28-2006
Registered!!

so i just took a drive around with a friend and we noticed that sometimes i get the clanking noise w/o pressing the break. Does that mean it's a suspension problem? MY friend agree's that it seems as if something is loose and wobbly. Any ideas what it could be?

*In any case, I guess I'll have to take it to the mechanic tomorrow for a diagnoisis.
Old 03-28-2006
i have a new home do u

v8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of light
are the wheels tight
Old 03-28-2006

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
when you brakes are warped you'll feel a pulsing in the brake pedal
And/Or a wobble sound when driving.
And/Or rubbing. wossh then silent then wossh then silent then wossh sound, like it is rubbin the pad. (drive along a wall real slow and you'll hear it, coast if you have an exhaust)

Plus go to a parking lot and brake at slow speed and see if you have a pulsing slowness as gentle pressure is applied.

Also just check to see if all the top nuts are tight for all of your struts.
Old 03-29-2006
Registered!!

So i went to the mechanic today. After testing out the car and getting a feel for the noise, he thought it might be a suspension problem. But could not pin point the problem even after lifting the car into the air. He said all the suspension bolts etc were tight. He suspects it might have something to do with my axle? If there is something wrong with my axle does that mean I musta hit something while driving?

In any case, tomorow I gotta bring my car back and he's gonna use some equipment to pinpoint the exact source of the noise...sigh I just want my car to work.
Old 03-29-2006
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
you might have indexed your struts wrong if you put on lowering springs...if you did that when u turn the springs slips and makes a popping noise
Old 03-29-2006

His profile says he has tein coilovers

Suspension/Wheel Modifications:
-Tein SS coilovers
-spc camber kit
-motegi mr7 17's
-falken zeix 512 215/45/17
Old 03-29-2006
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
that doesnt mean hes using the right upper mounts...if he had pillow upper mounts than it wouldnt be a problem but the 01 uppers mounts can cause problem...i would check that out and i would look into the calipers/pads first cause it could be a bad problem
Old 03-29-2006
spell check pwns you

tuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud of
first i wouldnt drive until you know what it is. i would take the wheel iff and check the caliper and rotor. then check wheel.

i had that prob. the shop didnt put on my 2nd caliper bolt. caliper was popping off rotor and scraped my wheel. i was so pissed.
Old 03-29-2006
Registered!!

04_CIVIC_HFP is an unknown quantity at this point
i have that same problem too. It sounds like there is like a fluid/ scraping comming out when i brake at low speeds. I need to know what is wrong if it is going to mess up my braking.