Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

18x8 w/ a 50mm offset...will they fit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98VTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
18x8 w/ a 50mm offset...will they fit?

I'm in the market for new wheels again. I don't want to second guess the manufacturer but I had to run it by you guys first. They suggested 18x8 w/ a 50et offset. This will give me about a 2" lip front and rear, and enough room to drive daily with out rubbing. Also the suggested tire size is a semi-streched 215/35/18. Is anyone running a setup similar to this? I can get almost any offset I want, so if needed I'll bump it up or down. Thanks for your input!
Old 02-01-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
No, not a chance in the world is that going to fit. I don't know who told you that, but they're just flat out 100% wrong.
Old 02-01-2006
Registered!!

98VTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
^^ DPE is the wheel company. They seem to know their stuff. I'm shocked to hear they could be wrong. However I have searched this forum and more than one member is running an 18x8, or even 18x8.5 wheel with the correct offset. Is 50mm too high? Maybe you could give some reasoning behind your reply.
Old 02-01-2006
Registered!!

hdave is an unknown quantity at this point
my 17x7.5 with +45mm has a chance of rubbing..

18x8+50mm offest will rub for sure
Old 02-01-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 98VTEC
^^ DPE is the wheel company. They seem to know their stuff. I'm shocked to hear they could be wrong. However I have searched this forum and more than one member is running an 18x8, or even 18x8.5 wheel with the correct offset. Is 50mm too high? Maybe you could give some reasoning behind your reply.
Be as shocked as you want. Most of these places don't know how to fit stuff on specific cars, they guess based on what they stock.
I've got a set of 16x8s with a +38 offset and there's barely 1/4" between the inner lip and the strut housing. I probably need a spacer. There's not a chance in hell a +50 will fit.
It shouldn't have taken too much for them to figure that +50 is way too much. They're trying to shove as much extra wheel inside the mounting hub as they can, and evidently forgot that there's suspension components in there. They're basically wanting to stuff 6" of an 8" rim (its actually more like 6.5" or so because the rim is 8" bead to bead not lip to lip) behind the mounting face of the hub. What they should be doing is trying to maintain the the mounting hub to inner lip dimension of the wheel to keep the inner lip in relatively the same orientation to the suspension as it would on a thinner wheel, which ends up being somewhere around a +28. +28 gives the opposite problem, wheel sticks out, so you can compromise and squeeze back in some. Somewhere in the low 30s is about right for an 8" wide rim. Its a tight fit. Don't plan on lowering the car. Carnage will ensue.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 02-01-2006 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-01-2006
Registered!!

blackdragon will become famous soon enoughblackdragon will become famous soon enough
+45mm max i learned the hard way trying to get some 19"x8 w/+45mm offset
Old 02-03-2006
Its a celebration bitches!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
i think its like a 35mm

a guy put 17x8 with a 33 mm, and it fit perfectly on club rsx

Last edited by HondaLuver; 02-06-2006 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-03-2006
Registered!!

Axxe is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
Be as shocked as you want. Most of these places don't know how to fit stuff on specific cars, they guess based on what they stock.
I've got a set of 16x8s with a +38 offset and there's barely 1/4" between the inner lip and the strut housing. I probably need a spacer. There's not a chance in hell a +50 will fit.
It shouldn't have taken too much for them to figure that +50 is way too much. They're trying to shove as much extra wheel inside the mounting hub as they can, and evidently forgot that there's suspension components in there. They're basically wanting to stuff 6" of an 8" rim (its actually more like 6.5" or so because the rim is 8" bead to bead not lip to lip) behind the mounting face of the hub. What they should be doing is trying to maintain the the mounting hub to inner lip dimension of the wheel to keep the inner lip in relatively the same orientation to the suspension as it would on a thinner wheel, which ends up being somewhere around a +28. +28 gives the opposite problem, wheel sticks out, so you can compromise and squeeze back in some. Somewhere in the low 30s is about right for an 8" wide rim. Its a tight fit. Don't plan on lowering the car. Carnage will ensue.
Remember that the strut slants in towards the center of the car as you get farther away from the hub, so he might be able to run a slightly higher offset wheel (2 or 3 mm extra).

Either way though, those wheels will definately not fit.