Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Decided To Paint Rims, Help Choosing Brands

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005
All Show No Go Sedan

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Aznnp77 will become famous soon enoughAznnp77 will become famous soon enough
Decided To Paint Rims, Help Choosing Brands

I've read all the posts, and Duplicolor seems to be the only brand people have ever tried. Now before you go bashing me for painting my rims, consider this.

Powercoating Costs $90 per wheel where I live, expensive yes, anything I can do about it? nope

My rims only cost $550 shipping, including tires, lugnuts, mounting, and balancing, that should come out to about 300-400 for the rims. I am not spending the price of the rims to get them powercoated, they're generic anyways.

Silver rims are really bugging me, call me a follower, but I needa hop on the dark rim bandwagon.

I know the chances of me screwing my rims up is high, but I want to change things up for the coming spring, and you guys know it's always fun to DIY stuff, but anyways......

I've already bought the duplicolor wheel paint in graphite. I painted my center caps that color before. It's okay, but I dunno about my whole rim being that color. Duplicolor only offers graphite, white, silver, and bronze, so I really have a limited selection on colors.

I was browsing online and found this paint from JEGS VHT. The color I'm really looking for is either a gunmetal, or a hyper blackish color that looks natural. VHT offers colors in black and glossy black. I need help choosing between these 2 brands, and if I choose VHT, whether or not to get glossy black or just black. I've seen people paint their trim pieces with glossy spray paint and it looks HORRIBLE.

So what will it be guys?

Duplicolor

or VHT?
VHT

Any help would be nice. I'm planning on doing this next week. Keep in mind my car is SSM, and I want it to look good together.

Last edited by Aznnp77; 03-07-2005 at 04:25 AM.
Old 03-08-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
obguam is an unknown quantity at this point
Get black, not glossy, if black's your choice. I have a SSM and gunmetal rims. Not a bad color combo but out of style I guess. I hear primer black, or a sort of faded black is raging right now, but not my taste. Good luck and enjoy the DYI. Post picks too.
Old 03-09-2005
You cant spell CRAP without APC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MarylandEcstasy is an unknown quantity at this point
GLOSS BLACK BABY! hop on the bandwagon