Rear Control arms, rear tire wear early models the early models had an issue with the rear control arms (upper) and have a tendency of rapid rear tire wear

2008 Civic rear tires worn out :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bc civic guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 2008 Civic rear tires worn out :(

Hi, new guy to this forum and am hoping somebody can help me out or provide further insight about this problem.

My wife and I bought a 2008 Honda Civic last year and it is a great little car to drive but just discovered the rear tires are worn out with only 28,000 kms on the odometer.

Checked the internet and apparently this is a huge problem with 2006 and up Honda Civics.

The local service rep at Marv Jones Honda in Maple Ridge BC told me that he has never heard of this problem. The look on his face and other staff members said otherwise as it was the classic "uh oh, here we go again....".

When I suggested he may want to google it, he replied that the reported problems are mostly American Hondas. When I suggested (politely) that alignment specs and the laws of physics should be the same whether north or south of the 49th parallel, he conceded that I had a point.

He eventually acknowledged that there had been a problem with 06 and 07 models that were wearing out tires but my 2008 model was not covered by that fix.

He proceeded to tell me that the problem occured because I failed to rotate the tires every 12 thousand kilometers. I explained that as a licenced mechanic, I was aware that tires were normally required rotating because the front tires which did the driving and the steering would typically wear faster than the rears.

While I admit I should have rotated the tires sooner, the rear tires are along for the ride and shouldn't be wearing themselves out twice as fast as the fronts.

I got the impression that he genuinely wanted to help but his final response was that their hands were tied with regard to this matter. I suspect he was simply towing the company line as directed by Honda Canada.

I really like this little car as it runs and drives like a dream but not happy about spending money on tires that only last 1/3 of what they normally should.

I am also tired of service departments and auto repair facilities in general that treat their customers as though they fell off the turnip truck last week.

Jus wondering if anyone else has dealt with this issue and been able to resolve it to their satisfaction? (other than trading the car in on a toyota....)

I am going to get the alignment checked and replace the two tires (on my own dime of course....) but don't want to go through tires every 25,000 kms.
Old 12-14-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2008 Civic rear tires worn out :(

honda already has been made aware of the problem, and updated rear control arms are available, which you should be entitled to free of charge under warranty. call up honda canada corporate and they will help you out and make the dealer replace em.