General Post General Issues questions here that does not fit other sections

Sporadically, slow cranking, not starting right away

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
joenobodyyet is an unknown quantity at this point
Sporadically, slow cranking, not starting right away

I have a 2008 Honda Civic LX 4 door automatic transmission with 80,000 miles. About a month ago, I was driving to home inspections (I drive to a few a day) and when I got in my car after the 2nd house, my car didn't crank when I turned the key. The accessories turned on, but the car didn't start. After a few more turns the car started to crank. Then after the 4th try, the car started. This happened a week later, and has basically happened once a week since. This does NOT happen when I get up in the morning and first start my car after sitting over night. It's only happened after I've driven around to a few stops, and then I head to my next stop and it won't start until after a few attempts. Yesterday I drove to a few houses/stops and then stopped for 5 mins to get gas. When I went to start my car to head to another house, it took like 7 tries this time. The first few did nothing except turn on accessories. Then it finally started to crank a bit and then it eventually started after almost 10 tries. Today, my car started with no problem, but I suspect it will happen again in a few days or next week.

Note: There is NO clicking ever. Usually the first turn gives either no sound or some slow cranking, then the next few it has slow cranking, then slightly more cranking then finally starts. The last time it happened I had a few turns with nothing but accessories turning on. I figured my battery had died. But then after about 7-10 tries, the cranking got faster/more and more, and finally the car started.

Anyone know what's up?
Old 03-25-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Sporadically, slow cranking, not starting right away

test battery and alternator.
Old 03-25-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Check your grounds as well
Old 03-28-2019
Registered!!

I watched the Chris Fix videos on Youtube and my battery seems good when I followed everything Chris Fix did. I was a little lost when testing the alternator, but when I used the multimeter and put the negative on the negative battery terminal and positive on the alternator case, I got a reading of about .029.

I'll youtube how to check grounds since I really have no idea how to do that.
Old 03-29-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Bad starter
Replace it before it leaves you stranded needing a tow truck
Old 04-13-2019
Registered!!

Just an update, I changed my starter motor and it worked!
Old 04-13-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

glad you have it solved and thanks for the feedback!