Electrical Post information/questions/Issues about Electric parts here.

IMA issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aladd is an unknown quantity at this point
IMA issues

Hello I have a 2012 Honda Civic hybrid. It currently struggles to hold a charge. I have to constantly keep charging the 12v battery. I can usually drive it for a day without charging. It seems that it struggles to charge while not moving the most. If the heater is on and the car is not moving for 5 min the car will run out of power. It seems it really only charges when the car is in deceleration. The car feels a huge loss of power. It feels like the electric engine is not on. It seems like it chooses not to charge. When the hybrid battery is charged enough all the warning lights go away and it drives like nothing is wrong. The lights that are on are the ima, check engine light, battery light, and brake light. The two codes it is showing are p1440 and p15a5. Are these two separate problems or would fixing one code might fix the other code? Which code do I trouble shoot first? The p1440 code states that it could either be faulty MPI, MPI harness is open or shorted, or poor MPI circuit connection. P15a5 states that it could be faulty motor current sensor, motor current sensor harness is shorted or open, or poor motor current sensor circuit connection. Do you think the issues with my car are more likely bad electrical (wires/harnesses) or the actual devices (MPI and motor current sensor) are faulty?
Old 02-23-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IMA issues

I can't tell you what the exact issue is, but my trouble chart says to diagnose the P1440 code because it can cause the other code to set..

Is the 12v battery failing/due for replacement?
Old 02-23-2019
Registered!!

Can you send me the flowchart you are looking at? I figured one code could set off the other. Right before the car loses power a bunch more warning lights come on. The 12v battery is fine. My mechanic tried replacing it first. It seems like the car may have electrical issues. The a/c doesn’t work but there is no leaks. It appears the wire going to the a/c compressor isn’t stock. Heater works.

Last edited by Aladd; 02-23-2019 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-23-2019

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aladd
Can you send me the flowchart you are looking at?
Sorry, no.
You can pay a small fee for short term access to OE service information at this site: https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.aspx
Old 02-23-2019
Registered!!

For troubleshooting p1440. How would you diagnose? How can you verify that the harnesses are good for the power inverter? If it’s damaged will physical damage always be visible? How can I test the power inverter?
Old 02-23-2019

The a/c doesn’t work but there is no leaks. It appears the wire going to the a/c compressor isn’t stock.
The faults you have may prevent AC operation. It's a dual drive compressor meaning the IMA system can drive it (see the orange high voltage cable going to it)

How would you diagnose?
I'd have to follow Hondas service information.
Old 02-23-2019
Registered!!

Anyone else? Need more than “have to follow Honda’s service information” or pay a small fee to access information.
Old 02-24-2019

I'm a dealer tech but I can't post, share or link the stuff I have access to. Surely you can understand that.
See if your local library has access to Alldata or Mitchell (or similar) vehicle repair information systems. (or maybe alldata can be accessed through autozone?)
Old 05-27-2019
Registered!!

Pammay is an unknown quantity at this point

I love my 2005 Honda Civic hybrid. I have just over 100,000 miles, and like Clockwork, my IMA battery is failing. I’m considering paying the 3,000 to have it replaced. I’ve taken the car to my local mechanic, he says it’s in mint condition. I figure it’s worth it, as a general rule, Honda’s can last well over 200,000 miles, and I love the gas mileage I get.

Id like to hear from folks who have replaced their IMA batteries. What has the experience been? How much mileage have they gotten after replacement? What are the warranties for battery life? What, if any problem have they encountered? Are you satisfied with your decision to replace? Bottom line, is it worth it?

thanks
Old 09-14-2019
Registered!!

Roy Jürgens is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - it had been running great (except for the clutch) until I ended up lost on a dirt road in the desert in the middle of the night. I ended up getting stuck in the sand and burning out the rest of my clutch freeing myself.

I took it to a local shop and he charged me $696 for the clutch (I Know!) but in the process he screwed up the IMA. The gauge no longer shows any charge going to the battery, the battery light comes on when the car idles and the IMA light is on. Also, the AC doesn't work. I took it back to the mechanic and he doesn't know what the problem is, blaming the burnt out clutch for causing electrical damage. I don't see how a burnt clutch inside the trans is going to damage external electrical components. Besides, I was able to drive it after I fried the clutch and the IMA worked just fine.

Someone please advise. Could it be that the the orange power harness got disconnected of damaged?