Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

97 civic won't go in any gears

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2019
Stoned Mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reedtech is an unknown quantity at this point
97 civic won't go in any gears

I just baught a 97 civic that runs well but won't shift. Prior owner said he put a new clutch in and there were no transmission problems since. D16y8 motor 2dr coupe 5speed. I'm thinking the master or the slave cylinder. I bled the clutch, no change. Rubber boot around slave is cracked and has fluid in it.
Old 07-04-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 97 civic won't go in any gears

Are you sure the clutch is disengaging when you press on the pedal?
Old 07-04-2019
Stoned Mechanic

Originally Posted by Colin42
Are you sure the clutch is disengaging when you press on the pedal?
Doesn't seem to be it starts fine without holding the clutch.
Old 07-04-2019

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Could try the slave first since it's pretty cheap. When you bled the clutch were you pumping the pedal? Did it feel normal?
Old 07-04-2019
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Check the CV axles to see if they popped out from the transmission differential.
Old 07-04-2019
Stoned Mechanic

Originally Posted by Colin42
Could try the slave first since it's pretty cheap. When you bled the clutch were you pumping the pedal? Did it feel normal?
Yes friend pumped it felt normal too. I got a slave and master I'll install tomorrow.
Originally Posted by HR Puffinblunts
Check the CV axles to see if they popped out from the transmission differential.
I'll check but the prior owner said they were new.
Old 07-04-2019

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Only one of the CV axles power the car. Pretty sure it's the passenger side. Probably best to install slave cylinder only first and see if that solves it. The master cylinder can be a bit difficult to install and will tend to leak first (inside cabin top of clutch pedal) before giving out.
Old 07-05-2019
Stoned Mechanic

Only one of the CV axles power the car. Pretty sure it's the passenger side. Probably best to install slave cylinder only first and see if that solves it. The master cylinder can be a bit difficult to install and will tend to leak first (inside cabin top of clutch pedal) before giving out.
No leaks from master. Replaced slave and bled system no change. Have a new master on hand will replace shortly.
Old 07-16-2019
Stoned Mechanic

Towed it to Aamco they wanted 1600 to replace clutch, master and slave. Slave is brand new too. I towed it back replaced the master and still no change. I looked under the clutch pedal and found out its been safety bypassed which explains why it starts with no clutch pedal. I bled the system with a friend. I don't currently have anyway to know if it has air in the line without clear hose but the pedal feels firm and the system feels pressurized. I want to bleed it better to see if that changes anything. I am disappointed I haven't figured it out. I guess I'll be doing the clutch by myself with a friend. Just hoped it didn't have to come down to that. Any ideas?
Old 07-18-2019

Pointing to the issue is internal. Ezone and Slumpert are Honda mechanics and can most likely help you.
Old 07-23-2019
Stoned Mechanic

Pointing to the issue is internal. Ezone and Slumpert are Honda mechanics and can most likely help you.
I started working on taking stuff out to drop the transmission. Took an hour of whacking the pin in the shift linkage to get it out. Tomorrow I'll finish taking off the mounts and drop it.

Interstingly after I removed the starter I looked inside the whole and wiped the clutch pressure plate with a finger and it was coated in oil. The bolts holding the starter in were covered in oil too. I think maybe the rear main seal busted which is why theres a lot of oil. I only purchased a stage 1 clutch kit which comes with clutch, plate, pilot bearing and throwout bearing and alignment tool. So I may need to buy a rear main seal now too. We'll see tomorrow.
Old 07-26-2019
Stoned Mechanic

Fixed!

Restored the lenses with turtle wax 3n1 kit 10 bucks for brand new lenses! Took 15 minutes.

She bright now!
I replaced the clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, master and slave cylinders. I learned everything about my Civic in a week. I could have saved a lot of time and money if I knew what I know now.
THE CV AXLES WEREN'T IN ALL THE WAY WHEN I GOT THE CAR!
https://youtu.be/Uz2s_rS4M0c
That being said I have no way of knowing if that was the exact cause of my original problem but I have a good idea it was and here's why. When I was finished and added transmission fluid in I noticed it poured out of the diff seals where the cv shaft goes in. I took the wheel hun off and ball joint and tie rod and grabed the shaft of the cv where it goes in the hub with one hand holding it in place while using my other hand on the main shaft pulling back slightly and pushing forward with force to but the cv boot into the diff seal. I reassembled everything started it up after checking fluids and put it in reverse and slowly released the clutch. It worked like a brand new car. Now I have to break the clutch in over 500 miles driving like grandma. I test drove it and it runs and drives good. Pulled her in the garage and noticed oil all under the distributor. And orange rtv and oil all over the vtec solenoid. I replaced both gaskets and removed all the old rtv. Leak gone, car runs great now! Ty everyone and save time and money, if your clutch doesn't work, make Sure the cv axles are in the diff all the way.

First look at car before buying it.

Trying to keep things clean. Everything was black when I got it.

Brand new clutch came out, went ahead and replaced it all. This was a seco oem clutch I'll save it for next time.

New Clutch in.

She works!

Just backed it out after reassembling the body.

Last edited by Reedtech; 07-26-2019 at 10:36 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 07-29-2019

Glad you got it going dude
Old 07-29-2019

"I could have saved a lot of time and money if I knew what I know now.
THE CV AXLES WEREN'T IN ALL THE WAY WHEN I GOT THE CAR!"

Refer to reply #5