Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Fuel tank question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mx5med is an unknown quantity at this point
Fuel tank question

Wondering where the fuel pump is located on the tank? I know it is under the rear seat, but I'm wondering if it sits towards the front of the car and tank, or the rear of the tank? I did the dumbest thing ever today...jacked the rear of the car up to install a new muffler and instead of getting the rear cross member, I jacked up under the far rear of the fuel tank 😤 it was dark in the garage and I've jacked it up many times, but I just ****ed up today by not paying close attention. I obviously let it down right away once I realized what I did.

I filled up and dont have any leaks thankfully. I did gouge up the undercoat spray a bit but I re-painted that so it doesn't rust. It's about a 5" circular dent now with some long folds on the sides. Will it cause any harm to just leave it now? Or should I get a new tank?
Old 02-08-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Fuel tank question

Lift up the rear seat and look. You just pull up on it. It has two push fittings.
Old 02-08-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Ouch, the pump is towards the front, if you pull up the back seat and take the cover off you'll see it. That dent may affect the sending unit float. Pay attention to your mileage and fuel level over the next few days and see if the fuel gauge is reading wrong.
Old 02-08-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Ouch, the pump is towards the front, if you pull up the back seat and take the cover off you'll see it. That dent may affect the sending unit float. Pay attention to your mileage and fuel level over the next few days and see if the fuel gauge is reading wrong.
Ok, will do. I'm still kicking myself for doing something so stupid.
Old 02-20-2019
Registered!!

So I've got about 500 miles or so put on since my idiotic mishap, I got just over 300 miles on a tank before I started to feel a little sputtering. I had 2 gallons along with me in the trunk to add then. My gauge showed just about E, so I'm figuring I displaced probably 2 gallons with the dent.

So far my plan is to try and push the dent out gently, but if I have no luck with that, I'll replace the tank in the spring when it warms up.
Old 02-20-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

with all the baffles in the way it may be hard to get at the dent,
light didn't come on before the sputtering?
Old 02-20-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
with all the baffles in the way it may be hard to get at the dent,
light didn't come on before the sputtering?
Nope no light, it was just about to hit E, the last mark before hitting the red line. I usually had about 50 miles left at that point