Rear Disc Brakes and 4 to 5 lug Swap Post information on Converting rear brakes to disc and 4 to 5 lug here

Drums--->Discs SPELLED OUT

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
HOLY **** REALLY?!?!?! Read the first line of post number 1
Old 11-23-2005
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
sorry.. i suck at life..
Old 12-03-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mkingk2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
sorry.. i suck at life..
I won't argue with that.
jk lol
Old 12-03-2005
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
damn NAVy peeps
Old 12-05-2005
my vtec brings all the girls to the yard

mrDFWmechanic will become famous soon enough
sux the pics dont work now
Old 12-29-2005
Registered!!

chefjnr is an unknown quantity at this point
ran into a problem....got what I thought ws a 2003 civic si 4 lug rear disc brake parts to do the conversion. Everything bolted on perfectly and no problems, until I tried to put on the ebrake cable. The ebrake cable that was supplied DOES NOT FIT- even had a mechanic at his shop try, it is about 2" too short. I also got brand new OEM rotors, thats when i discovered that the OEM rotors for the civic are 9.25"- the ones i pulled off my donor parts were 10.25"- the 9.25" do not fit. Is it possible that the junkyard sent me a diff. donor vehicle part then requested- maybe something that works also? The calipers are OEM, but the rotors have no part number stamped on them. I sent SP one of the OEM rotors to make me the diamond slotted ones in the exact same size, so that issue will be fixed. What do you think I need to do about the ebrake cable? Any guess as to what vehicle the donor parts really came off of? Acura says the 02-03 4 lug civic si did not come in a 10.25" rotor size, so I suspect I got a diff. donor part. Should I get a 2003 or 2004 RSX-S Ebrake cable? I thought I read somewhere they were about 2" longer.
Thanks for the help.
Old 12-29-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
I got the Si Cables to work by loosening up the handle carrier until it was almost off the adjuster screw. RSX cables are a touch longer. Use those.
As far as the rotor size, they should be 9 and something. The fronts are 10.25".
Old 12-29-2005
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
have you loostened the carrier bolt inside the car to mount the ebrake cables? if that doesnt work, try dc5 cables are way longer than the ep3s like boiler said. so long in fact you have to zip tie the extra cable down along the rear arms, youll see what i mean if you get the rsx cables; it makes working with them so much easier.

did you get the actual ep3 hubs? if you need new rotors for those, you need to order 02,03 civic si rotors. obviously.
Old 01-01-2006
Registered!!

Axxe is an unknown quantity at this point
I still can't beleive that Honda didn't stick rear discs in their sport compact.

Good right up Boiler, I have a feeling I'm going to be doing quite a few of these up in my neck of the woods.
Old 02-02-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

LINKS FIXED. No more whining about pictures
Old 02-23-2006
Registered!!

elitecivicex01 will become famous soon enoughelitecivicex01 will become famous soon enough
Question parts inquiry....??

got THIS setup over a year ago. after reading the DIY by Boilermaker, sounds like a feasible task. just wanted to post pics to inquire if what i got for $200 cash from a friend down in Miami, FL seems like the whole deal? all i need? anything extra? need more specific pics?

please advise. i am interested in doing this swap soon.
btw, i drive a 2001 Civic EX coupe w/ ABS & right now im rolling on blown OEM shocks/struts and Neuspeed Race springs. approximately 2 years of age on this setup. EVENTUALLY i WILL be upgrading to the OmniPower street setup whenever this stuff comes out.... (obviously)

Old 02-23-2006

K20me is a jewel in the roughK20me is a jewel in the roughK20me is a jewel in the rough
Wow you got a whole lot more than you needed. You won't need the arm or the shocks or the stock camber arm. I can't tell if the E-brake cable is there. Looks like it is on the second picture. Anyway, looks like you have everything you need.
Old 02-23-2006
Registered!!

SleakCivic02 should not be trustedSleakCivic02 should not be trusted
this diy sux cuz you arent telling where you can get these parts. what the **** is ep3? just say type r. where the **** am i suppose to find parts like those. junk yards, yeah right, all the parts from the junk yard around here are from the 80 cars. sorry your diy is not spelled out, the process is ok but the parts selection sux.
Old 02-23-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Originally Posted by elitecivicex01
got THIS setup over a year ago. after reading the DIY by Boilermaker, sounds like a feasible task. just wanted to post pics to inquire if what i got for $200 cash from a friend down in Miami, FL seems like the whole deal? all i need? anything extra? need more specific pics?

please advise. i am interested in doing this swap soon.
btw, i drive a 2001 Civic EX coupe w/ ABS & right now im rolling on blown OEM shocks/struts and Neuspeed Race springs. approximately 2 years of age on this setup. EVENTUALLY i WILL be upgrading to the OmniPower street setup whenever this stuff comes out.... (obviously)

You've got far more than you need there. All you need is the knuckle + brakes. You can swap over the whole arm, but its a lot of pain in the *** for nothing. You don't need the shock either. Use the knuckles, sell the shocks and control arms back to the junkyard.
Old 02-23-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Originally Posted by SleakCivic02
this diy sux cuz you arent telling where you can get these parts. what the **** is ep3? just say type r. where the **** am i suppose to find parts like those. junk yards, yeah right, all the parts from the junk yard around here are from the 80 cars. sorry your diy is not spelled out, the process is ok but the parts selection sux.
Oh cry me a river.
Do you need someone to hold your hand and take you in your stroller to find the parts for you? Boohoo.
Jeez, quit whining, get on the forums and find the damn parts.
No one else seems to have any trouble running down the parts they need to do this, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with the DIY. If you can't figure out how to undo 3 bolts a brake line and a snap clip, you've got no business working on the car at all. Period.
Old 02-23-2006
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Boilermaker1 on "rear drums to rear disks"
Its pretty easy to find the damn DIY.

Man, why don't people search or even READ?
Old 02-23-2006

K20me is a jewel in the roughK20me is a jewel in the roughK20me is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by SleakCivic02
You do realize these parts won't be coming off of a TYPE R, right? These are coming off of an 02-03 Civic Si since most people are looking for just the 4-lug version. It's actually pretty easy to find these parts, go on EPHATCH.com "want to buy" section and start a thread of your own saying that you're looking for 02-03 Civic Si rear disc conversion. I tried that a long time ago and got so many responses of people wanting to sell their rear disc brake assemblies.

By the way, Boilermaker's DIY doesn't suck, I actually read through it once before doing my conversion. It's not hard to do, just takes some time to do it.
Old 02-23-2006
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
Oh cry me a river.
Do you need someone to hold your hand and take you in your stroller to find the parts for you? Boohoo.
No one else seems to have any trouble running down the parts they need to do this, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with the DIY. If you can't figure out how to undo 3 bolts a brake line and a snap clip, you've got no business working on the car at all. Period.
That was a nice reply! You are learning patience and compasion!
Old 02-23-2006
Registered!!

tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
Oh cry me a river.

ya beat me to it man...
Old 03-27-2006
Registered!!

goodtimes is on a distinguished road
just got mine for 280 will be installing soon
Old 03-27-2006
Registered!!

redex04 is an unknown quantity at this point
boiler maker you still got sum extra sets?
Old 03-28-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

I never had extra sets to begin with.
Old 03-29-2006
Registered!!

james1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
aftermarket?

I know we can use the parts from an Ep3 hatch for the swap...any aftermarket companies out there with new parts ready to go and install?
Old 03-29-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

no... and if they did, you'd pay at least triple for them anyways.
Old 04-02-2006
Registered!!

eugthebear is an unknown quantity at this point
hey guys would a 3rd gen tegs rear brakes work too?
Old 04-05-2006
Registered!!

goodtimes is on a distinguished road
im gonna no only ep3 disks will work.
Old 04-05-2006
Registered!!

eugthebear is an unknown quantity at this point
dang. ok thanks
Old 04-12-2006
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute
Great information. Thanks for the DIY. I'm going to do this conversion in the future when I get the money. I want to go from drums straight to high performance big brakes. Before I became a member of 7th gen, I did a bunch of my own research. This one e-mail was probably the most helpful. I thought I would post it and share the info:

Dear Turbo-Kits.com
I am interested in purchasing a Big Brake kit for my 2003 Honda CIvic
LX. The Big brake kit advertised on your website for the "01-05 civic";
will this kit work on my 03 LX? Additionally, I want to replace my rear
brake drums with after market rotors. Can this be done using this kit?
(I suppose I would have to purchase two kits, one for the front one for
the rear) Thank you for all of your help and consideration.

If you were looking to change the rear drums to rotors, you would have to
perform a rear disk conversion using OEM Honda parts (less the rotors and
calipers because they come in the kit for the rear). This could be done,
then you could get the big brake kit for the rear. The 01-05 civic brake kit
will work on your 03. Let me know if you have any further questions or would
like to order. Thanks!

Regards and keep tuning...

-------------------------------
Old 04-15-2006

jamesandrew58 is an unknown quantity at this point
ok whats needed to do on a LX? proportioning valve?
Old 04-15-2006
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute
I believe that there is no proportioning valve available for the LX's that will allow this disc conversion ( I think I read that earlier in this post). However, I was also speaking to my regular maintainence shop, and the technician there said that you can just replace the master slave assembly from the EX into the LX thus creating appropriate pressure levels to each corner. (Turns out that disc's require less pressure to operate then drums, or at least that's what he said.) That's what im going to do.

Quick Reply: Drums--->Discs SPELLED OUT