Rear Disc Brakes and 4 to 5 lug Swap Post information on Converting rear brakes to disc and 4 to 5 lug here

5 lug and brake swap information em2, es1 01-05

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018
Super Moderator

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,294 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: 5 lug and brake swap information em2, es1 01-05

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
Axles from an '02-'05 EP3 can be used if keeping your current four lug setup...
Read again. This is my current setup.
Old 10-23-2018
Super Moderator

BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Well, I guess if you meant doing the 5 lug swap then yes you absolutely have to change the knuckle. If you meant the K swap then no you do not have to swap the knuckle.

I also had to clarify my first statement. Base model RSX axles are the same as EP3. RSX base model knuckles are different than Type S knuckles.
Old 01-15-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gh0stpr0ject is an unknown quantity at this point

I am sorry to revive this dead thread as well but Im pretty much new to all this and I just want to convert the rear drum brakes to disk brake and with that said I was wondering if I get the rear knuckle and trailing arm assembly from an 03 ep3 will that be enough for that job or will I require other parts as well? Also since I am already doing that i was gonna change all the brake lines as well since the car kinda old anyways. Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-19-2021
Super Moderator

Read here: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...elled-out.html
Old 01-19-2021
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gh0stpr0ject
I am sorry to revive this dead thread as well but Im pretty much new to all this and I just want to convert the rear drum brakes to disk brake and with that said I was wondering if I get the rear knuckle and trailing arm assembly from an 03 ep3 will that be enough for that job or will I require other parts as well? Also since I am already doing that i was gonna change all the brake lines as well since the car kinda old anyways. Thanks for the advice!
the TL;DR version of brotatochip's post..

Rear EP3 knuckle assemblies (if you nab '02s they retain the 4x100 lug pattern. I forgot if they changed to 5x114.3 in '03 or '04) and e-brake cables from either a DC5 RSX or Canadian Acura 1.7EL is all you need. The EP3 e-brake cable is far too short. The DC5 e-brake cable, in my experience is a tight fit. I had to open up the brackets that hold the cable to the body and take up any and all slack to get them to fit. The knuckle assemblies I bought came with cut VSS sensor wiring, and I found out the OE VSS from my drum brakes were a direct fit.

However, the link brotatochip posted is the exact DIY guide I followed back in 05
Old 01-19-2021
Registered!!

This is the very first time im working on a car so i really dont have much knowledge about everything.. But i do appreciate your replies.. Thank you so much!
Old 01-19-2021
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

If it makes you feel better, a rear disc swap was the second thing I ever did to my EM2. Before that was a lowering spring install. Before that, I didn't know **** for cars other than oil changes, how to change a tire, and brake pads. Well, and car audio. All thanks to this forum.

Had no idea that I'd be doing my own head gasket changes and engine replacements a decade later.

edit: I got my timeline messed up. Springs was first, then I got around to bolt ons (intake, full exhaust), then I swapped my suspension for coilovers with my knowledge of how to take suspension apart from the spring swap. Then when I was on leave/transition from being stationed in upstate NY and moving to WA state, I stayed at my dad's house for a month (had 40 days off) and did the rear disc swap then.

Honestly, things like that where it's basically a bolt-on modification, they're not hard. At all. As long as you can remember where **** went and you know how to turn a wrench, you're good to go
Old 01-20-2021
Registered!!

This forum is really helpful. Thanks a lot you guys!!