Cracked block early R18 Overheating Post Information, Questions and issues with the cracking block on the early R18 type engine here.

08 Honda Civic-Cracked Block replaced. New maintenance schedule?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ldspreciousmom is an unknown quantity at this point
08 Honda Civic-Cracked Block replaced. New maintenance schedule?

My car is at about 100,000 miles currently. About 30,000 miles ago (almost 3 years ago) Honda covered my engine replacement when they found a crack in the engine block. Honda service personnel are telling me it's time to have the coolant flush done. Wouldn't they have done that as part of the replacement or would they have just filled it and not done a flush? Also, since the engine was replaced at 70,000 miles, does that mean most maintenance work related to the engine would have "started over" at the 70,000 miles when replaced?
Thanks in advance!
Old 04-04-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 08 Honda Civic-Cracked Block replaced. New maintenance schedule?

Always keep track of services on your own, know what's been completed and when. I keep a little notebook in my glovebox with detailed service notes---because I know I will forget sooner or later. (I really wish I had done this with my truck 20+ years ago)

Whomever you spoke with probably doesn't know of your cars history, they may just be looking at the maintenance minder on the dash.....(around 100k-105k or so it should have the coolant service reminder #5 come up along with the tune up #4) or looking at the mileage or suggesting it based on time.

If you mention to the advisor that the engine block was replaced 30k ago under warranty and it (should have) received all brand new fresh genuine Honda coolant at that point in time (surely it's listed on the receipt), they will probably say "Oh." and quit bugging about it.

FYI after the very first coolant replacement service at 100k/10 years (or whatever your owners manual says) subsequent coolant service intervals are half of that. (50k/5 years). So you may want to do the next coolant service in 2 years/20k miles. Keep track of it if you do.

But everything else in the car is probably still due as per the regular maintenance schedules.
Spark plugs were not normally replaced with an engine block, nor anything else that was deemed serviceable at that time.

HTH
Old 04-05-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ldspreciousmom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your response. Even though they were looking at my car history on their computer, (it was not in person to look at the dash), it would appear that they were only basing it on the mileage as you suspected. So I talked to them about the engine replacement (short block) and he agreed that the coolant flush would not need to be done again, but that they recommend every 45,000 miles. Still unsure why, with a new engine, it would not need to be done until reaching 100,000 miles from when they put it in though. Isn't it considered new at that point? Anyway, instead of saving that $100 this time for the flush, I get to spend $200 on new spark plugs since that hasn't been done (along with the scheduled brake flush). Lol
Appreciate your help!
Old 04-05-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Still unsure why, with a new engine, it would not need to be done until reaching 100,000 miles from when they put it in though. Isn't it considered new at that point?

It would really depend on how much of the coolant was drained during the work, and you will probably never know how the system was drained during the block replacement job.

The factory schedule assumes a simple drain and fill of the radiator which only exchanges roughly half of the liquid in the system, thus the 50k subsequent intervals after the first 100k.
So........
If it was 90+% drained, (block AND radiator) during the work then another 100k interval could be used, but if it was only ~50% drained (block only), then the next interval would need to be half of the original (according to Hondas service logic LOL).