Interior Post information/questions/Issues about Interiror Parts here.

AC Mode Control Motor - HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SC Tiger is an unknown quantity at this point
AC Mode Control Motor - HELP!!!!

I haven't posted here much but I need some serious help. And on top of that my car needs help. Let's discuss the car.

I have a 2010 Honda Civic Sedan (non-SI). The system that controls where the air comes out of the climate control (defrost, dash vents, floor vents) quit working. I pulled the old motor out and tried it and it did not work. So I ordered a new one from Rock Auto:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=1444952&jsn=1 (only including for reference)

I installed the new one after a lot of fighting and now it isn't working. When I connect power to it, it will make about 1 to 1-1/2 rotations and then won't move when the buttons are pressed. It acts like it may be trying to find "home". It seems to be mounted properly (was just like the old one). It's so hard to get it in there that I can't be 100% sure. I did put a good coating of grease on the cam before I put it in.

Has anyone fought this before? Are these parts problematic? It looks a lot like the old part but is obviously not the exact same (details in the housing are different).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SC Tiger; 03-26-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-26-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: AC Mode Control Motor - HELP!!!!

...its been a vary long time since I was in robotics 12, but I recall that stepper motors, unlike regular DC motors, need to be set to a start position, the controler will also need to be zeroed.

So you may need to cloak the motor's rotor and do some sort of reset to the cluster which gives commands to the motor.

...I think @ezone may be your only hope. 😁
Old 03-26-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mac25
...its been a vary long time since I was in robotics 12, but I recall that stepper motors, unlike regular DC motors, need to be set to a start position, the controler will also need to be zeroed.

So you may need to cloak the motor's rotor and do some sort of reset to the cluster which gives commands to the motor.

...I think @ezone may be your only hope. ��
I understand everything except the "cloak the motor's rotor" and "reset to the cluster".
Actually I think I understand the reset to the cluster (ie telling it what is which position). But I don't know how to do it.

I was wondering if it was trying to find "home position". There is some sort of diagnostic function in the AC system I think (became aware of it AFTER I got into this).

I was also wondering how it would know what was where "which position is defrost, which one is floor vents, etc."

Help me @ezone, you're my only hope!

Seriously - I'm dead in the water here.

Last edited by SC Tiger; 03-26-2019 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-26-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

No clocking, no reprogramming, no learning

Buy the correct part from Honda and retry

Hope the part you tried to install didn't cause other damage
Old 03-26-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
No clocking, no reprogramming, no learning

Buy the correct part from Honda and retry

Hope the part you tried to install didn't cause other damage
Ordered a new one from Honda themselves. Rock Auto will be getting theirs back. I is not a happy camper.

I never got it fully in and all it would do is make a full rotation. As far as I can tell it didn't actually harm anything. The motor acted like it was stalled. I took it back out and now move the vents by hand pending the new motor.

Is there some sort of diagnostic mode on this system? I saw something about it on the older systems.

Last edited by SC Tiger; 03-26-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-26-2019

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SC Tiger
Ordered a new one from Honda themselves.
The correct one? There are 3 to choose from and they are all electrically different
Is there some sort of diagnostic mode on this system? I saw something about it on the older systems.
Yes it has some limited self diagnostic capabilities. Will it tell you anything you don't already know?? IDK.
Search the forum for how-to
Old 03-26-2019
Registered!!

The correct one? There are 3 to choose from and they are all electrically different
Yes it has some limited self diagnostic capabilities. Will it tell you anything you don't already know?? IDK.
Search the forum for how-to
Everywhere I checked (genuine Honda sites) only showed one. Beyond that I had the dealer verify it via the VIN number.

The one I ordered should have worked since it was for a USA/Canadian built car and mine is Canadian. But it didn't. Maybe there is something I'm supposed to do to "teach" it but they didn't bother to tell me (no instructions, etc) so back it goes.

I first looked into this a few months (almost a year) ago and for some reason I had a hell of a time finding the part at all. Didn't help that I didn't know what to call it.

Last edited by SC Tiger; 03-29-2019 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-27-2019
Registered!!

Got the new part in today and installed it tonight. I now have control over where the air comes out.

And I put PLENTY of grease in the track. Maybe too much. But it is well lubricated now.

If i ever meet the person who invented the sidewinder ratchet I’m going to shake his hand. That thing is a God send for this job - especially the top bolt. If you don't,know what I mean it looks like this:

Rotating the handle rotates the head in the direction it is set (so if it's set to tighten, turning the handle either way will tighten the bolt).

Thanks to everyone for the help. The Rock Auto part was apparently just bad. Will be going back. Though they have said they have to "review the case". I guess that's standard but IMO it's really simple:

1) Part was wrong or garbage
2) I have no confidence a replacement part wouldn't also be wrong or garbage. It's not a Honda or a Denso.
3) Part is hard to get to so I ain't doing this a third time
4) I bought new part from other place because their parts are not garbage
5) I want money back for initial part.

Last edited by SC Tiger; 03-28-2019 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-28-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Good to hear 😀
Old 03-28-2019

Rotating the handle rotates the head in the direction it is set (so if it's set to tighten, turning the handle either way will tighten the bolt).
This sounds freekin handy
Old 03-28-2019
Registered!!

This sounds freekin handy
You have no idea. I don't use it much but when I do need it, it's fantastic. I don't think I could have done this without it. It’s just three screws and one plug (literally a 5 minute job if you can get to the screws), but they are near impossible to get to. I had to take the front seat out to get down to it (had to lay in the floor). If you are a mechanic I would get one (I'd bet Snap-on or Mac or Cornwell has something similar) if you don't already. I know Blackhawk (Stanley's industrial line) has one.

And I did find the instructions for the Rock Auto part. Didn’t say anything about indexing it or anything.

Whatever - it’s going back. Honda part worked. Good call @ezone.

BTW - the new part from Honda was also a helluva lot easier to line up everything on.

Last edited by SC Tiger; 04-03-2019 at 11:47 AM.