Interior Post information/questions/Issues about Interiror Parts here.

Paperclip Fell through Gap of Instrument Panel

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014
Dragon Slayer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ForeverAgo is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Paperclip Fell through Gap of Instrument Panel

Tried looking through the threads for a fail like mine, but didn't find another person with the same troubles as me.
I have a 2012 Honda Civic Sedan.

Anyway, I had a fairly straightened-out paperclip laying on the compartment on top of the steering wheel (not sure what this is called) against the instrument panel. I found out today that half of it was in between the gap the panel and the compartment above the steering wheel. I tried to tenderly pull it out, but as soon as I thought I had it, it fell through completely. I tried moving the steering wheel around to see if it will fall out or move around but I haven't heard much noise yet.

I am a complete noob so I'm not sure what to do. Should I just wait for the paperclip to fall out as I see that there are gaps beneath the compartment (where the steering wheel column and stuff is)? Or do I have to take the whole thing apart (and when I mean I, I mean probably a professional)?

I tried to stick my hand up in that gap but didn't feel anything but wires and rubber. Any help would be appreciated since I have no idea what damage a small paperclip could do (any? none?).
Old 10-30-2014
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Paperclip Fell through Gap of Instrument Panel

if Your saying it fell in behind the steering wheel area.? in such a way You
cant get it out yourself by hand then im guessing worse case cenario that could happen "again could happen not that it will". is a wire or two get frayed or cut over time by the steering wheel being worked left to right as you turn.
Old 10-30-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paperclip Fell through Gap of Instrument Panel

It's not all that hard to take apart the plastic dash panels so you can hunt for it. Best to use a plastic pry tool so you don't damage the panels.

Knee panel is held in with clips, (grab edge and pull toward you, hard...Once it pops out you can see what the clips are like)
Gauge panel (with dash vents) is held in with clips
Pull door seal down, remove A pillar trim (I don't remember doing this but it's in the instructions)
Upper meter cover has 3 screws and a bunch of clips

Check the first few posts in this DIY for backup camera install <-- linkyclick

See this video about 2 minutes in