Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

F*uck Honda (part2) Answer to our mysterious Fuel Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01EMCVC is an unknown quantity at this point
F*uck Honda (part2) Answer to our mysterious Fuel Gauge

This is what honda told me:

On '01-02 Civics, the low fuel indicator can come on with 5 gallons of gas in the tank. So it's not uncommon for the 13.2 gallon tank to take 8 gallons when refilling. Fuel can slosh when braking, cornering, and accelerating can cause the indicator to come on earlier. When the indicator comes on, the low fuel indicator circuit "latches" and the indicator stays on until the ignition switch is cycled or the fuel tank is refilled.

i told them then why does'nt Honda research this and fix the problem of this erratic fuel gauge, he responded to me with "I don't know" then i smiled at him and said "very well then next time you ask me something about my car when i bring it in like how many miles are on it or what is my phone number,
I will reply with I don't know"

yeah so F*ck Honda Customer Service[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-12-2003
Registered!!

jrock2324 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm sorry about the touble that you are having. But that sucks. Try taking it to another honda shop.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-13-2003
ak
Retired Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

ak can only hope to improve
Diamond Bar Honda my friend....

60E, exit Grand Ave... make a left.. you should be able to see it from the freeway.

15 minutes from Whittier.
Old 03-13-2003
Premium Member

Krepoort is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]When the indicator comes on, the low fuel indicator circuit "latches" and the indicator stays on until the ignition switch is cycled or the fuel tank is refilled.[hr]
I dunno. This might be BS. I think there have been times where I started my car on a hill and the gas light comes on, but when I start driving and level off, the light turns off.

-Kre
Old 03-13-2003
Registered!!

sawgunner06 is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think my light has ever coe on. Then again I don't let it get that low to find out. But in your case it seems like the guage is jacked up and the guy you talked to has no idea what to say and doesn't seem very motivated for good customer service. Try raking it to another Honda shop and see what they tell you. Don't tell them what the first shop told you, just go in like its the first time you have had this problem. And see what they say. If they say the same thing then maybe its legit but if they find something different and then fix it you can go to the other guy and tell him he needs to find a better job. Maybe something he knows about.
Old 03-13-2003
Registered!!

Obsidian is an unknown quantity at this point
my fuel gauge is like that too. I have at least 4 gallons in the tank still even though the light is on and the arrow is all the way on the red it. It f**ked up.
Old 03-13-2003
that little dude

slick will become famous soon enoughslick will become famous soon enough
well, i had my dealer "fix" the problem some months back. they ordered some part, fuel signal sender, and replaced it in one day, but the problem still remains.
after some personal research on my car, i figured out the light usually comes on when i have driven about 300 miles. the first few times the light came on, i filled up, approximately 10 gallons each time, which means i have 3.2 gallons or so left in the tank. so now, when the light comes on, i check how many miles i have driven so far ( usually around 300 miles ) and i drive another 40-60 miles. now when i fill up, i usually end up filling 12+ gallons, which is more like it. its pretty retarded that we are NOT getting the proper range in our cars because the fuel light comes on too early, but it seems to be a trait of the car. i am tired of taking this car to the dealership, i have wasted too much time there already, but if it gets annoying, i will go again and complain some more ( thank god my dealership has some really nice employees, they treat me like gold everytime i come in ).
Old 03-14-2003
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
why do u guys even drive w/ almost empty tanks?

the fuel pump is cooled by the gas in the tank and if there isn't much gas in the tank, the fuel pump runs hotter; therefore the lifespan of the fuel pump wont be as long as if u always had plenty of gas cooling it...
Old 03-16-2003
Registered!!

Renamazazo is an unknown quantity at this point
I think part of the reason why this happens is to protect us, many people like to drive untill their fuel light comes on, then they go get gas, so, if honda makes sure we have around 3 gallons left till we run out, theirs no threat of us ending up on the side of the road without gas. My fuel light comes on when I have about 3 gallons left. On a side note, the S-10 I drove had an 18 gallon tank, yet the fuel light would come on when it had 7 gallons left, it only got 17 MPG, and my friends chevy 2500 is on "empty" when it's used 20 of it's 32 gallon fuel tank, and it only gets 10 MPG... but is a torque monster.

-Mark
Old 03-18-2003
Registered!!

NorrinRadd is an unknown quantity at this point
As stated before the indicator coming on earlier is a safety feature. FYI, with pretty hard driving I can go to about 390 miles, with conservative driving (w/ lots of highway) I've gotten up to the 430's (437 to specific). I usually just make sure when the light comes on to fill up after 50-75 miles (gets me to the 12.3 to 12.8 gallons range). Oh yeah, I drive a 2001 Civic EX 5spd.
Old 03-18-2003
Civic Owns My SRT

FuKNGRuVN is an unknown quantity at this point
I usually keep the tank above half - I've only plunged down to empty once or twice during the winter (to see how much gas she'll take when the light's on).

I don't know what the big deal is - would you guys prefer the light clicks on when you only have a half-gallon left? Maybe as you coast to a stop and the engine dies? Maybe a chime that says "Oh, by the way.. buy gas?" Gonna have to chime in with turboslug. Friend of a coworker bought a new Frontier XCab or whatever the hell the call the four-door version of it and on day 9, ran outta gas. On a connector. With no off-ramps. That's a combination of stupidity and ignorance... but whatever.

Now, about the dealer BS, look at it this way. If they don't want to take your car in and fix it; if they don't want to work on your car and get reimbursed by Honda for doing warranty work; IF THEY REALLY DON'T WANT TO MAKE MONEY take the car somewhere else. There is absolutely nothing binding you to any one dealership. Honda extended warranty follows you to every Honda dealer, and so does warranty work. You'll find a dealership that will be pleased to have you as a customer. They'll do everything they can (within reason) to make sure you feel like gold. Then you stay with them and keep buying cars from them. Not many dealerships actually realize that to keep a customer for the long term, the relationship does not end after the customer picks up the car for the first time. You'll find this attitude more prevailant with GM dealerships... unless you drive a Vette or a Caddy. then you're on their list of "favorites".

My home |H| dealership kicks ***, but because I've moved I had to "feel-out" the dealerships here. One dealership burned me bad (replaced my front air damn rubber thingie and charged me $50 because it was "torn" instead of claiming it under warranty... which they probably did anyway to make more $$ off me) so they will never be graced with my business again. Nor the business of my friends.

Sit back and have a cold one my man - let them earn your business, not vice-a-versa.