Engine start problems Post issues with engine start here. Does not start, does not run, etc.

2003 civic wont turn over

Old 11-18-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bjeffreyut is an unknown quantity at this point
2003 civic wont turn over

I'm working on a 2003 that caught fire. I have replaced all the wiring, battery, alternator, starter and fans. I've gone through, checked all my wiring connections and grounds. However, when I attempt to turn the motor over it just clicks one time. I had my daughter turn it over multiple times and the starter started smoking. I've got tunnel vision now and was hoping someone could point out what the heck is going on.
Old 11-18-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2003 civic wont turn over

Is the engine locked up?
Alternator or compressor pulley locked up?

Big cable on the starter is not tight?
Bench test the starter?
Old 11-18-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

You omitted to mention that you can still spin the engine over with a simple ratchet wrench on the harmonic balancer bolt.

A stalled starter due to too much rotational resistance, or too low of current flow will quickly burn up its internal windings if left energized.

Body ground strap issues are my first guess if the engine is not actually siezed.
Old 11-18-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bjeffreyut is an unknown quantity at this point

I bench tested the starter and alternator as well as made sure the new battery was fully charged. The motor does turn over with a rachet.
Old 11-18-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

So you should have a ground strap from the water passage housing to the frame near the hood latch.

And the negative battery cable should bolt to the inner fender and onto the transmission.

Both of the positive cables should be very tight in the engine compartment fuse box.

Where did you get the new wires from?