Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

oil pan gasket question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HarleyRob is an unknown quantity at this point
oil pan gasket question

I finally got around to installing a new oil pan gasket (2005 lx se) this weekend and realized there are some small washers around the bolts (actually thought I remembered reading about this somewhere but couldn't find where). Well, not all the bolts, two of the bolts did not (maybe this is why it was leaking?). So, i'm wondering if the po replaced the gasket and did not know about these washers or maybe they just came off during removal of the Oil pan. Anyway, I chose not to use since I was in a pinch and didn't have all the washers. My question is "are there indeed small washers around the bolts hanging down, and are they between the mating surfaces??". Seems like this would keep the pan from sitting flush. Thanks
Old 11-15-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: oil pan gasket question

The OEM gasket has those built in, frequently they dislodge upon removal.

if you put a aftermarket gasket in that does not include them, well, just have to wait and see if anything got over torqued and allows seepage.
Old 11-15-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

and did not know about these washers or maybe they just came off during removal of the Oil pan. Anyway, I chose not to use
All the warnings are about making sure all of those leftover washers get removed before installing the new gasket.
Old 11-16-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
All the warnings are about making sure all of those leftover washers get removed before installing the new gasket.
I'm pretty sure I got them all but noticed this morning its leaking so I'm going to redo tomorrow. But I'm wondering...I know to put rtv on the curves of the pan between pan and gasket but do I also put it between gasket and motor? I did not, only between gasket and pan and wondering if this is why its leaking again.
Old 11-16-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

If it’s leaking at the oil pump oring, it might seem like it’s a oil pan leak.

Honda has some very specific spots to put liquid gasket on both sides of it. If you chose to go past those points, you should do the entire surface.

Honda likely figured out exactly how much was needed and saves that extra few cents worth material multiplied by millions of engines.. My cost vs hassle is not the same equation so I put full bead on engine and pan, let it flash, then put gasket on pan and install.

Old 11-16-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
If it’s leaking at the oil pump oring, it might seem like it’s a oil pan leak.

Honda has some very specific spots to put liquid gasket on both sides of it. If you chose to go past those points, you should do the entire surface.

Honda likely figured out exactly how much was needed and saves that extra few cents worth material multiplied by millions of engines.. My cost vs hassle is not the same equation so I put full bead on engine and pan, let it flash, then put gasket on pan and install.

OK. Where is the oil pump oring? and when you say "flash" does this mean let it set up some before installing? Thanks
Old 11-16-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

FSM only says to put RTV in the corners where the gasket isn't flat (where it makes a sharp bend).
The gasket is supposed to be installed absolutely DRY except for those corners.

If you smear it everywhere, it can cause the gasket to squish out of place.

I NEVER give RTV any time to set up, I want that stuff to stick securely to all surfaces it's used on.
Also, Hondabond sealer or permatex ultra gray RTV.

Torque specs are important.
Old 11-16-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
FSM only says to put RTV in the corners where the gasket isn't flat (where it makes a sharp bend).
The gasket is supposed to be installed absolutely DRY except for those corners.

If you smear it everywhere, it can cause the gasket to squish out of place.

I NEVER give RTV any time to set up, I want that stuff to stick securely to all surfaces it's used on.
Also, Hondabond sealer or permatex ultra gray RTV.

Torque specs are important.
Does it have to be gray? I have red. And can I use the same gasket that I just installed?
Old 12-21-2018
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
guitarsnlikker is an unknown quantity at this point

I too was replacing original Oil pan gasket yesterday and noticed also that two studs did not have the small washer/spacer on them. Are you saying that these should not be there at all? I looked for the part on hondapartsnow.com and could not locate it.

Last edited by guitarsnlikker; 12-21-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-21-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
The OEM gasket has those built in, frequently they dislodge upon removal.

if you put a aftermarket gasket in that does not include them, well, just have to wait and see if anything got over torqued and allows seepage.
I have an OEM gasket from local Honda dealer and those washers/spacers were not built in.
Old 12-21-2018

Oil pan gasket yesterday and noticed also that two studs did not have the small washer/spacer on them. Are you saying that these should not be there at all?
There better NOT be any washers stuck to the studs.
Old 12-21-2018
Registered!!

OK. My mistake. I looked more closely at my OEM gasket and do now see the spacers included in it. I will remove all spacers/washers from the studs and install. Thanks Ezone and Slumpertcivic! Much appreciated