Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2004 Civic coupe automatic

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
onetwoothreee is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2004 Civic coupe automatic

Originally Posted by ezone
^That's not your car, is it?
How about video of YOUR OWN car not starting?
Old 12-10-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butturfly22
I posted video earlier in thread
Put your video in a new post in this thread
Old 12-13-2018
Registered!!

Butturfly22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is the link to my video. It is mp4 so I can't attach it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CrDTAgcZ9KeprvWYA
Old 12-13-2018
Registered!!

Butturfly22 is an unknown quantity at this point

They are located under here

...Also, an auto guy said those two codes could come up with a vacuum leak. Where do I check for that? Also, changed fuel pump module assembly (needed it bad), and one more...can you tell me if something is supposed to be connected here...pics above.
Old 12-13-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Both pictures are normal. One is just a (extended reach) nut (see the threads inside it), the other is the rubber cap covering the transmission vent tube.

Unscrew and remove the top oxygen sensor from the exhaust manifold, then see if the engine will start.
Old 12-14-2018
Banned

onetwoothreee is an unknown quantity at this point

So... EGR valve. *Not trying to be funny* Are you sure you're turning it the right way? You should be able to use an extension with a 1/4in u-joint and a 12mm socket to break it off. Maybe clean the threads and bolts up with a brush and some carburetor cleaner, let it dry and soak it in something like PB Blaster or Kroil for a while. I didn't shock the bolt on mine, but you might try that too.

I had a gentleman at Home Depot help me find a 12mm socket with a slightly deeper recess to go over the bolt. It was something like $3.00 (you can buy them separately... I'll spare you the conversation). One of mine had been stripped! You can tell from how the gasket had only compressed on one side that it wasn't on very tight; I tried to torque them back down as even as I could. It's not easy to see, but the new gasket has some kind of metal dispersed in the material that I suspect melts down and helps form a seal.

The grey residue from the old gasket is just a paste that you can scrape off with an old plastic card. I was warned repeatedly of a rubber diaphragm inside the valve that should not be exposed to any kind of cleaner, or it degrades. The example from the video was an extreme case where the EGR valve (for those who didn't watch) had stuck in a permanently open position. Outside of that, I can't see this being worth your time as a huge project. Mostly to know if something was wrong or not. My car didn't run unexpectedly better.

You need the right size socket and attachments for this to work. Bolt was previously stripped out on one side.

It's the Virgin Mary

The gasket material on this brand is a kind of metal sandwich

Clean. Pin pulls out with gentle pressure. Don't let the carburetor cleaner make contact with the diaphragm inside or you'll have to buy a new EGR valve.

Last edited by onetwoothreee; 12-14-2018 at 10:30 PM.