Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2004 Civic coupe automatic

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Butturfly22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 2004 Civic coupe automatic

I was driving down the road and hit a yellow light so I sped up. After I smelled a burnt type smell, briefly, then all the suddeny car started to sputter and I would push the gas pedal and....nothing. so I pulled over let it die on it's own. (Didn't try to crank it up again) turned my flashers on and within 2 min my battery was dead. Got towed home and when they tried to give me a jump it just sputtered and wouldn't stay crunk. What is going on? I'm thinking bad gas, fuel pump or filter, I already know it needs a tune-up (hasn't had one in over a year or so), or fuel relay. Any thoughts????
Old 11-08-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,129 Likes on 943 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 2004 Civic coupe automatic

Is the check engine or any other light on? Sounds like the alternator may have seized, and the burning smell is from the belt
Old 11-08-2018
Registered!!

Yes it has been on since I got it. Had it checked and as always they say o2 sensor. But if battery was good then it should stay crunk. Also had to get jump before and Gage on machine said battery was charged but took jiggling of some wired to crank.
Old 11-08-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Butturfly22
Yes it has been on since I got it. Had it checked and as always they say o2 sensor. But if battery was good then it should stay crunk. Also had to get jump before and Gage on machine said battery was charged but took jiggling of some wired to crank.
If I'm not mistaken the O2 sensor in this car can trip every 30k miles or so requiring an ECU reset (idle relearn) to turn the CEL light off. As Colin mentioned inspect the alternator belt, tighten any loose connections for the starter. Reset the ECU by disconnecting the negative cable terminal on battery, turn off all electronics in car, press brake pedal multiple times to drain any residual charge, reconnect negative cable terminal to battery, start engine and let run until radiator cooling fan engages twice (roughly 15 minutes) .
Old 11-08-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I assume you mean it won't "crank" as in starter not working, not 'crunk' like Lil Jon on a good night.

Got video of what it does or does not do so we can see it? Big help

I'd almost expect a compressor with a bad pulley bearing to seize up and stall the engine before an alternator seizes, and if one did that would likely burn the rubber belt (stink) until the engine came to a halt. But yea either one locked up could prevent the starter from cranking the engine.
Weak or drained battery isn't going to provide enough power to make the starter crank either. Charge it up and recheck?

Tune up yearly what?? No, if it has the correct plugs they are 100,000 mile intervals.
Old 11-09-2018
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Did the timing belt break? When was the timing belt replaced? Recommended at 7 years or 105,000 miles.
Old 11-09-2018
Registered!!

Belts are all intact. When it died it acted like it was running out of gas but I have a full tank. When I try to jump it off it won't crank it acts like it wants to but won't. Put battery in our truck and it works fine. That's why I felt like it was bad gas or something like that. I am not able to get it to crank to test anything else. Even put a battery with 3x the power of mine and still acted like it was out of gas. Wanted to crank but wouldn't. Check all the fuses too. Now I did notice that my gages make a ticking noise after I try to crank it and after I push the brake pedal.
Old 11-09-2018
Registered!!

I am going to check the egr valve tomorrow
Old 11-09-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Belts are all intact. When it died it acted like it was running out of gas but I have a full tank. When I try to jump it off it won't crank it acts like it wants to but won't. Put battery in our truck and it works fine. That's why I felt like it was bad gas or something like that. I am not able to get it to crank to test anything else. Even put a battery with 3x the power of mine and still acted like it was out of gas. Wanted to crank but wouldn't. Check all the fuses too. Now I did notice that my gages make a ticking noise after I try to crank it and after I push the brake pedal.
Use wrench (socket/extension/ratchet) to see if crankshaft will rotate (CCW)
If no, remove alternator belt and recheck if crankshaft will rotate
But if crank rotated in either step, stop. See why starter isnt working

EGR has nothing to do with starter operation, nor does fuel.
Old 11-10-2018
Registered!!

Old 11-11-2018

^That's not your car, is it?
How about video of YOUR OWN car not starting?
Old 11-11-2018
Registered!!

Update: went to change spark plugs three out of four of the wells was full of oil the other one was dry so I am changing the spark plugs does anyone have any other ideas besides the obvious of changing the seals and the valve cover gasket? Ezone-no that was not my car
Old 11-11-2018
Registered!!

Angry Re: 2004 Civic coupe automatic

Also something else that was funny the third one over from the left still had the rubber piece from the last person who changed it it came out of their socket it was still on as spark plug. WOW!!!
Old 11-11-2018

Also something else that was funny the third one over from the left still had the rubber piece from the last person who changed it it came out of their socket it was still on as spark plug. WOW!!!
Check the end of the ignition coil for missing rubber boot. The rubber you found could be from that instead of someones socket.

We want the video of you attempting to start your own car, because terminology
"no crank, no start" is very different from "crank, no start"

and you used the word "crunk" more than once, which really made me LOL out loud. I still have no idea what the car actually does when you try to start it.
Old 11-11-2018
Registered!!

It's crank no start...lol. I haven't worked on a car in years besides the basic upkeep. Last time i did anything major was a 91 prelude when I was 17. I replaced the alternator myself, that was a doozy. Lol. So I am having to learn this car now so I can try to avoid the shop.
Old 11-11-2018
Registered!!

It tries to turn over but when it does it dies immediately. I do know for a fact my battery is shot cause it will not hold a charge.

Ezone-: it was from the socket, mine has one in it too and it came out but I caught it. The rubber boots are still on the coils. I will change those next with the valve cover gasket.
Old 11-13-2018

It tries to turn over but when it does it dies immediately. I do know for a fact my battery is shot cause it will not hold a charge.

Ezone-: it was from the socket, mine has one in it too and it came out but I caught it. The rubber boots are still on the coils. I will change those next with the valve cover gasket.
When you get it back together:

1) Watch the green key symbol in the gauges when you try to start it. Does the engine try to run but stalls out at exactly 2 seconds, leaving the key symbol flashing rapidly?

2) Does it start and try to run for a total of exactly 2 seconds, but the green key symbol is NOT flashing rapidly?
(unplug the cam position sensor and retry, if it starts and runs longer than 2 seconds SHUT IT OFF RIGHT NOW and see if if the timing belt went slack and jumped time)
Old 11-13-2018
Registered!!

I found a leak in the camshaft plug seal and there is Oil caked on the part where the sensor is.

Any ideas?
I am afraid to keep trying to start it fear I'll mess ut up mire.
Old 11-13-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,129 Likes on 943 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Then have it towed to a shop and let a mechanic deal with it
Old 11-13-2018

I am afraid to keep trying to start it fear I'll mess ut up mire.
Originally Posted by Colin42
Then have it towed to a shop and let a mechanic deal with it
If you give up then this is probably your best bet....but

I found a leak in the camshaft plug seal
This is a typical leak item but it won't cause a no-start.
and there is Oil caked on the part where the sensor is.
I'm curious, post a picture of this?

Old 11-14-2018
Registered!!

I will tomorrow. Thanks ezone
Old 11-14-2018
Registered!!

this is one I has from before.
Old 11-14-2018

I cant even tell what that is or where thats located

Leak alone doesn't mean a sensor isn't working
Old 11-14-2018
Registered!!

i don't if u can see it very well. I took them the other day out of instinct. I didn't even know what it was I just knew it was important. I'll take better ones later. I haven't had car long and I can tell the previous owner ran it into a mud hole or something cause red dirt is all under hood. Also the passenger side floorboard is soaked with water I found out. Can't find that hose they talk about though.. guess I'll have to have it towed. Just gate paying someone to do do something I can do and risk them causing other issues to make more money.
Old 11-14-2018
Registered!!

Hope this helps
Old 11-19-2018
Registered!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UHQGzaVsJJ8jSgoFA
Old 11-19-2018

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UHQGzaVsJJ8jSgoFA
Sounds like it might only be flooded. Were the spark plugs wet with gasoline when you took them out?
Hold gas pedal mashed to the floor while cranking

You may want to put a charger on the battery to keep it charged up. Lots of cranking will drain it pretty quickly.
Old 11-19-2018
Registered!!

No they were soaked with oil until I cleaned them, changed valve cover gasket, changed all 8 seals and 5 grommets. I know the camshaft plug seal needs to be changed (by the egr valve) but I don't think that'll keep it from starting. It is getting gas cause I could smell it after a while, also, I checked the timing by looking in the oil cap whole cranking also checking the belt while valve cover was off and it is still intact.

I am still baffled. My main sensor clicks repeatedly when jumper cables are not on but that would only suggest a loose ground but that doesn't explain when they are on and I don't hear it. I only hear one click right after I hear the fuel pump click on.

Help!!!!! I may be a female but I learn fast and engines are one of my passions.
I'm not scared to get my hands dirty but I can be a lady when needed to be.
Old 11-20-2018

suggest a loose ground
Since you mentioned ground.....
Check the ground wires attached to the top radiator hose neck are on the engine.
You may have to remove the big black air breather chamber to get to the one on the left (this is the main ground for the computer and most sensors and controls)
Clean and shiny metal for good contact, and clean tight bolts
See pic:

Old 11-21-2018
Registered!!

Okay I will do. Also I found what looks to be a cat's foot or a rabbit's foot under my hood sitting at the front of the engine so I don't know if maybe that knock something loose or what but it was kind of freaky.

Quick Reply: 2004 Civic coupe automatic