Overheating or loss of coolant, heater blowing cold If you are having overheating of loss of coolant issues, post here!

Overheating Situation, then no issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CBM1992 is an unknown quantity at this point
Overheating Situation, then no issues?

Hello, I recently purchased a 2001 EX V-TEC w/ 160K miles (extremely clean and well-cared for). I had the timing belt/water pump done even though it had been done around the 103K mark and also had the valve lash adjusted. Today I decided to take the car up into the mountains to see how it would do. Upon reaching the destination (went from 1500ft to 4600ft in about 12 miles) I noticed the temperature creeping upwards, which I expected due to the climb. I then stopped at a drive-thru to get a drink and noticed the temperature gauge pegged in the red, so I pulled into a stall and let it cool down. I then drove towards home, experiencing mild overheating (slightly above 3/4 of the gauge), but the engine ran fine with no power issues and the temperature mainly stayed within the normal range. I pulled into the driveway and popped the hood to find coolant loitering in the battery tray and dried on the air intake box (obviously coming from the nearly full overflow tank). I cleaned up the mess and did a pressure test on the system with no issues (held 16psi for 5 minutes). Since this issue earlier today, I haven't seen the needle go past the normal range, and I pushed the engine hard to try and recreate the conditions. I read all the posts about this problematic situation the 1.7L engines face. I believe the car runs too well for a head gasket to be the issue. I've also heard that air in the system can violently expel from the system at times, taking some coolant with it. Being a GM small block / LS-based guy, I know nothing about these Honda engines, and with many possible contributors to the coolant loss/overheating, I'm not sure what else to do to try and diagnose (I hate throwing parts at things that aren't the issue).

Any insight is appreciated!
Old 10-25-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Overheating Situation, then no issues?

First question would be how much coolant did you,have to add to the radiator?

Old 10-26-2018
Registered!!

I'd say a little over a pint.
Old 10-26-2018
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Perform a cylinder leak down test to confirm a breached head gasket. Common issue with these engines.
Old 10-26-2018
Registered!!

After driving for a bit to confirm a bad H/G, massive amounts of bubbles could be seen coming up within the coolant overflow tank (not much else can cause this many bubbles). We're going to do a leak down test on Monday, but I think I'm going to bite the bullet and do the head gasket, water passage gasket, thermostat and radiator cap, coupled with a good radiator flush and new coolant. I'd rather replace everything in the system and rest easy, rather than throwing parts where they're not effective. Are there any other parts I should replace while we're in there?

I'll report back next week with the findings under the head.
Old 10-27-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the sureway to test for headgasket in these cars is the one ezone uses. i suppose you saw it before while researching, but would recommend doing again just in case.

unless it's massive amounts of leaks, other tests don't detect gasket leaks in this engine.

Mine, i diagnosed as gasket and i could still drive for 8 months and drive back from Quebec to TN, not a single overheat, but still losing coolant from overflow.
it was a small leak.

see his method below:

Old 10-27-2018
Registered!!

Understood, and I appreciate it! We'll perform the leak down test on Monday. Being around cars all my life tells me just to do the H/G repair and move on. Throwing the thermostat, rad cap and water passage gasket in for good measure. I'd rather jump inside the car knowing I don't need to carry around gallons of coolant in the trunk...Lol

I'll advise the findings when the head comes off.
Old 10-27-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

thermo, rad cap, they seem to recommend getting from Honda - aftermarket showed problems for some members in the past.
same for headgasket
Old 10-27-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Unless you know for sure a oem grade waterpump was put in when you had the timing job done..

Old 10-28-2018
Registered!!

Yes, all the parts I've ordered straight from Honda here in PHX.
Old 11-03-2018
Registered!!

Okay, folks, so we found that no pressure escaped into the water jacket, but instead leaked from cylinder #4 to #3, explaining why the heating of the coolant was so slow. Got the head back from the machine shop and will be reassembling on Monday!