Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

05LX autotrans rough gear shift

Old 10-18-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Andym is an unknown quantity at this point
05LX autotrans rough gear shift

2005 LX 124,000miles only owner
This has been my first and only car since brand new, The transmission after all the years of a nicely smooth paused almost perfect shifting, now all of a sudden the gear aren't shifting the way it used to and is like rough gear shifting on 1st and 2nd, is this a bad sign and something to be worried about? I never did a transmission fluid change before, the fluid looks clean pink clear.

Although the car still runs nice there's a lot of parts that needs to be checked and replaced. The a/c or
​​​​​​dashboard fan motor is giving problems intermittently shutting down, the bottom of the engine gasket seal is leaking a bit of oil, struts and all those chassis parts need replacing I believe and I have the timing belt, water pump and valve
gasket to replace.

I flushed and cleaned the coolant fluid.
Got 1 front wheel bearing replaced once.
Engine mount replaced at 70kmiles or so.
And engine belts replaced once.
Battery and wheels replaced 3 times.
Oil leak coming from a tiny plastic cap replaced once.
Other than that everything else is still stock and what worries me is the timing belt and the transmission now and I know I might be way past due in that

Overall this car have been so good, I doubt there are many economic cars out there like these civics

Last edited by Andym; 10-18-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-18-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 05LX autotrans rough gear shift

Rubber gaskets needing replaced after 100k and many years of service, that's typical and expected. More will follow.
Timing belt maint was due at like 7 years/100k, you're long past due. Ignore this too long and you'll have an expensive yard ornament..

Shifts funny:
You've never replaced trans fluid? That's waaaaay too long, hope it's not hurt from neglect. Do fluid service now! I'd use Hondas DW1 fluid. Never ever done? I'd do the fluid service 3 or 4 times in a row.
Check engine light on?

AIrbag recalls done?
Old 10-19-2018
Registered!!

I forgot to say I did replace the front top oxygen sensor once at around 100k because the mpg drop and wouldn't go past 5000rpm
I'm not sure about the airbag recalls, never knew about it so I will check now.

I will go and do the timing belt which I already got here, it's a Mitsuboshi Japan brand which I hope is good and then I will proceed to do various transmission fluid change like I read.
Hey Ezone, thank you so much for all of this and you were right the a/c problem was the dashboard fan motor
Old 01-27-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Rubber gaskets needing replaced after 100k and many years of service, that's typical and expected. More will follow.
Timing belt maint was due at like 7 years/100k, you're long past due. Ignore this too long and you'll have an expensive yard ornament..

Shifts funny:
You've never replaced trans fluid? That's waaaaay too long, hope it's not hurt from neglect. Do fluid service now! I'd use Hondas DW1 fluid. Never ever done? I'd do the fluid service 3 or 4 times in a row.
Check engine light on?

AIrbag recalls done?
Wanted to say thanks for the support that inspired to do these repairs by ourselves.

​​​​​​I did all that you pointed and the airbag part. Only missed adjusting the valves ticking noise. Everything is working better than ever and it seems I've got car for another 15 years. Transmission is smooth again.