Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Coolant Leak at Top of Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Abdias Sanchez is an unknown quantity at this point
Coolant Leak at Top of Radiator

I have a leak where the plastic meets the metal of the radiator. It's not too bad, but I think this means I have to replace the radiator. I'm having a bit of trouble checking fitment of this radiator from RockAuto: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...5663&jsn=10414
Can anyone with experience on this let me know if this will fit? I have a 2003 EM2, 5MT, LX. I'll attach a video of the leak and the model number of the Denso radiator that's on my car currently. Thanks

Leak can be seen where the plastic meets metal.
Old 10-18-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Coolant Leak at Top of Radiator

yep get a new rad, the automatic one will be fine, you just don't connect anything to the trans cooler fittings
Old 10-18-2018
Registered!!

Thanks! Will do.
Old 10-18-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Colin42
yep get a new rad, the automatic one will be fine, you just don't connect anything to the trans cooler fittings
If I lived up north, I would pump water through it to make hot chocolate while sitting in traffic..

Surely some will say you have to use milk, but you would need to use fat free milk else the milk fats will bind to the plastic.

But yea, your pretty much only going to find radiator for a automatic car and that works just fine.
Old 10-19-2018
Registered!!

Talking Re: Coolant Leak at Top of Radiator

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic

If I lived up north, I would pump water through it to make hot chocolate while sitting in traffic..

Surely some will say you have to use milk, but you would need to use fat free milk else the milk fats will bind to the plastic.

But yea, your pretty much only going to find radiator for a automatic car and that works just fine.
LOL. Would be a nice way to use the fitting. Oh and while we're on the topic of hot chocolate, would this be a good time to clean out the cooling system? If so, how is it usually done on this car?
Old 10-20-2018
Registered!!

Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

I have had good results just using plain distilled water to flush it out.

Drain, fill with distilled water, drive with heater turned on till it’s blowing good and hot.

Park it for a hour and repeat 2 plus times. If it’s still mucky, keep going . It’s only $1.00 a gallon for distilled water so you can do 5 flushes for under $10.

Once your happy with the clarity of water comming out, add about 3/4 gallon concentrated silicate free antifreeze top off with more distilled water.
Old 10-21-2018
Registered!!

Sounds good! Should I use Honda Type 2? I see that you're not preaching "only use Honda Type 2" as many people do. Is this Prestone one fine? Thanks.
Old 10-21-2018
Registered!!

After paying attention to this forum for more than a week, it is apparent a lot of people search you tube when something breaks and then they search out this forum when the “best of the cheapest” part they purchased and installed after watching you tube either didn’t fix the problem or caused more problems.

Prestone is good stuff, just stick with classic yellow/green stuff for these engines.

Old 10-25-2018
Registered!!

Thanks for the advice! I got the job done yesterday so here is an update. I have a concern; the radiator came bent (probably banged up during shipping). I realized this only after I flushed the coolant and started removing the old one. I checked if it leaks by filling it with distilled water and it seems that it doesn't. After installing, I found no leaks and the engine even stays a little cooler while driving (I drove for 1.5 hours last night). Do I have to worry about this bend? I'm sure some of the passageways are crimped but it works fine.

Here's a pic of the radiator:
Old 10-25-2018
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

I think you want us to tell you it is OK as you already have gone through the trouble of draining, removing the old, installing the new and refilling.
I would have returned it if I could have but I don't know your situation with waiting or other vehicles at your disposal.
Old 10-25-2018

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

ouch, i would return that
did you order it online or pick it up at a store?
maybe they can send you the replacement now and then when it shows up you can send the old one back?
Old 10-25-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by NDNV
I think you want us to tell you it is OK as you already have gone through the trouble of draining, removing the old, installing the new and refilling.
I would have returned it if I could have but I don't know your situation with waiting or other vehicles at your disposal.
That's the problem. I went home from my university to replace it, and now I'm back at school. This is my only car. I would have loved to return it but my situation didn't really allow it.
Old 10-25-2018
Registered!!

ouch, i would return that
did you order it online or pick it up at a store?
maybe they can send you the replacement now and then when it shows up you can send the old one back?
I ordered it from RockAuto. Anyone with experience with them think they'll ship me a new one before sending them the one I have?
Old 10-25-2018

contact them and see?
im sure if you're nice and polite and explain your situation and send them the picture they'll allow it
Old 10-25-2018
Registered!!

contact them and see?
im sure if you're nice and polite and explain your situation and send them the picture they'll allow it
I'm on it. Thanks!
Old 10-25-2018
Registered!!

Here is my issue, if a tube is actually kinked, the heat/cool cycle will crack the kink over time even without engine and air vibrations.

Prolly would last long time, maybe just keep dozen water bottles packed inside the spare tire well Incase you need to refill on the road some day. Dasani bottles are especially thick and hold up well.
Old 10-26-2018
Registered!!

That's what I'm thinking. It just took me some time to convince myself that it wouldn't last I emailed RockAuto and they won't send me one without me sending the one I have, but they will give me the refund as soon as they get it, even though it was installed in the car. I placed an order on a new one so it should be getting here soon. Just have to do the job over again!

BTW, thanks for your help guys. Helping me avoid problems down the road (at the cost of some short term pain) hehe.
Old 10-26-2018
Registered!!

While I would reuse that brand new coolant, I also would run it through a coffee filter to make sure I don’t add sand or other debris in.
Old 10-27-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
While I would reuse that brand new coolant, I also would run it through a coffee filter to make sure I don’t add sand or other debris in.
Good idea. I'll keep that in mind.
Old 11-30-2018
Registered!!

Quick update: Finally got to installing the (new) new one. Sent the bent one to RockAuto and got my money back. Everything worked out fine. Thanks again.
Old 12-01-2018