Safety/Security Items - SRS, Keys, Immobilizer, airbags, ABS Post your safety, security questions here! Airbags, Keys (immobilizer)

2004 Honda LX Sedan with air bag code 2-1

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kevoid is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 Honda LX Sedan with air bag code 2-1

Hello - I bought a used honda lx a while back that had/has the airbag light on. I got side tracked having the transmission rebuilt. Now back to the airbag light. I tried to do a reset, but I get two quick flashes at the end and then the light comes back on which my understanding means there is a code in the air bag module. So, I did a code check using a paper clip and pins 4/9 and I get a repeating 2-1 (2 slow, 1 fast). It seems to have something to do with the passenger's side air bag inflator. Not sure if it matters, but I'm trying to run done if my civic has side air bags or not in that'd make it a different error message for the 2-1 I'm getting...

I'm kind of at a loss how to proceed here. Does anyone have any experience with this particular air bag code?

Thanks...
Old 10-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: 2004 Honda LX Sedan with air bag code 2-1

All SRS equipped seats have a SRS tag sewn/heat pressed into them on the outside seam at shoulder height.

Yours likely due to the indash airbag.
Old 10-14-2018
Registered!!

Thanks for the info.
Mine does have the dash air bag for the passenger for sure, I just wasn't sure if it could have the side bags too.
Old 10-14-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

2-1 is for the passengers airbag inflator. That's the one in the dashboard.

Has the car had its airbag recalls completed?
Problem could be solved by the passengers airbag recall,

OR if the recall was already done whomever did it could have made an error.
Did warning light come on shortly after the recall was done? Have the dealer recheck their work first.
Old 10-14-2018
Registered!!

Not sure when the airbag light came on. I got it used with it on. The VIN for the car doesn't pull up any recalls on it at Honda, etc. Not sure if that means it wasn't required or it was already done. I'll probably end up disconnecting the battery for a while and then removing the airbag to check it. The VIN doesn't pull up whether any airbags have been set off either (well, the freebie ones, I didn't buy a car fax for it).
Old 10-14-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Probably means it's been completed and recalls are up to date. Can you PM the VIN to me?

Unplug and reconnect the 4 wire connector for the airbag. Does that get rid of the code?

If no, Look up on the ends of that airbag and see if either wire connection has detached from the inflator. Those two plugs are supposed to be locked in place upon correct installation, a one-time-use connector. If the installer didn't get one completely latched in it may have backed out and lost connection.

FYI if someone comes in to our dealer with an airbag system warning light on after their recall was done, for the customers peace of mind we will immediately bring the car in and check it--- to determine if the problem is in fact related to the recall work and correct it at no charge to the customer,
If the issue is absolutely unrelated to the recall work we inform the customer of this and ask if they would like for us to diagnose the problem (Usual service charges now apply. You don't get the answers for free)
Old 10-14-2018
Registered!!

Thanks for the info...
This coming Friday I will probably disconnect the negative battery cable and let it set all night. I need to check the connections to the radio too, so between removing covers for the radio and going up thru the glove box for the dash airbag I should have pretty open access to the airbag module to make sure things are plugged in good. Now, I've to to find out just how many ohms the airbag inflator should be reading. Open is bad for sure, but should the reading be 5 ohms, 50 ohms, or 500 ohms type thing. Maybe my Honda book has it in it, it's supposed to be the one shops use/used. If I find it I'll post the info here...
Old 10-14-2018

Please do not dive in blindly!
You aren't supposed to check an airbag firing circuit like that. Battery power from your meter could accidentally trigger it and cause explosion and serious injuries.
Besides, the connector ends should have a shunt to bridge terminals while disconnected.

We substitute an airbag for test purposes using a special tool with various appropriate connectors and wiring, but the substitution is basically using a 2 ohm resistor to take the place of each firing charge.
Connect resistor box to the cars harness plug, see if code disappears or changes.
Old 10-14-2018
Registered!!

Thanks for the warning. I used to work at a place that manufactured airbag inflators. They will go bang to say the least.
Old 10-20-2018
Registered!!

OK, I got the bag out and when I was removing it here is what I found. The airbag has a place for a 2-wire plug on each side. There was a yellow 2-wire plug just hanging not connected to anything. The air bag only had a red 2-wire plug on one side, the other side had nothing plugged in. I'm thinking the yellow 2-wire plug goes to the airbag side with the missing connector. BUT, I'm hoping someone can confirm that both the red and yellow wire connectors go to the air bag. Here are a couple pics of the wires and connectors on the airbag. Here are the pics:

If I'm not mistaken it's the yellow wire (providing it goes to the airbag) that use the 2 ohm resistor for testing. What would I do with the red wire for testing?
Old 10-20-2018
Registered!!

Also, the red 2-wire plug came out hard and snaps in hard. The yellow 2-wire plug pretty much slips on/off and doesn't snap in place. Makes me wonder if the yellow wire plug is the correct one (which I think it is) or if maybe the socket it plugs into is wore out, etc...

Just soon not connect the battery back up until someone chimes in if possible...

PS - thanks for the help...

Last edited by kevoid; 10-20-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-20-2018

Sent pm

Take it to your dealership asap for recall work recheck

Last edited by ezone; 10-22-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-22-2018
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Don't touch anything else. Take it to a Honda dealer and don't do this yourself. You could be injured or killed or mess up the SRS.