Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2001 Civic Losing Power

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toms99tj is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 Civic Losing Power

First time poster here. im going to get right to the issue I am having. My girlfriend bought a 2001 civic dx and the guy said everything is good except it has an evap problem, ok no problem. Well so far we had to have the clutch master cylinder and something else changed and next week the clutch. So yesterday she was almost home and the car lost power, she would press the gas and it wouldnt go any faster. We let it sit and it seemed fine but did it again. This morning i took the car and I pulled out and made it to 4th gear and it just went down in speed and the same thing as the day before. I made it almost back to the house it the car died but started right back up and I hobbled it back home. Its like it goes into limp mode. Also she just brought to my attention that she has been smelling gas. So any advice on where to start looking would be a great help and thank you in advance.

Last edited by toms99tj; 10-11-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-11-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 2001 Civic Losing Power

is the check engine light on? mileage?
smelling gas is probably because of the evap problem
cat might be clogged, it's right in front of the engine with the primary o2 sensor threaded into the top.
you can try removing that o2 sensor, leave the hole open and see if it drives any better, if it does that's a good sign that the cat is clogged
Old 10-11-2018
Registered!!

The check engine light has been on for awhile now. WE are going to get a bluetooth obd2 reader today to see what codes come up It has 184000 miles on it. The guy that owned before her said it had an exhaust on it and he had to take it off cause it was to loud. I looked under and it looked like it had no cat but i am use to them being in the middle of the car. Could it also be the cam position sensor? Almost everything I read this morning sounds like that is a possibility.
Old 10-11-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Colin42
it's right in front of the engine with the primary o2 sensor threaded into the top.
Originally Posted by toms99tj
The check engine light has been on for awhile now. We are going to get a bluetooth obd2 reader today to see what codes come up It has 184000 miles on it.
$20 on amazon, like $5 for the full version of the app, need to know what codes its throwing.

The guy that owned before her said it had an exhaust on it and he had to take it off cause it was to loud. I looked under and it looked like it had no cat but i am use to them being in the middle of the car.
Originally Posted by Colin42
it's right in front of the engine with the primary o2 sensor threaded into the top.
Could it also be the cam position sensor? Almost everything I read this morning sounds like that is a possibility.
maybe, need to know codes
Old 10-11-2018
Registered!!

Im going after work to get the reader and i will get back with what codes
Old 10-14-2018
Registered!!

So the codes we got are a p1457, p1361, a 0335. So i know the first one is and evap and the other 2 are tdc sensor and crank shaft position sensor. I want to know are they the same sensor?
Old 10-14-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I want to know are they the same sensor?
Two different sensors.

Aftermarket sensors are reportedly problematic and have a high failure rate, we recommend sensors from Honda.
CKP sensor plug is susceptible to moisture entry and corrosion damage.
Old 10-14-2018
Registered!!

We are just taken it to the mechanic. I will work on my honda four wheelers but im not working on these things. Lol . Thank you all for the help .
Old 10-31-2018
Registered!!

Ok so we took the car to the mechanic and had the crankshaft position sensor replaced and the. The next day the clutch master cylinder went again . So we got it back today and it was fine till a little while ago and it started to to do the same thing . I disconnected the radio (a pioneer double din with android auto and stuff) and it would do it spuratic and then it stopped. My question is could the radio somehow cause this?
Old 11-01-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

My question is could the radio somehow cause this?
First though was no way, but then I remembered it’s always possible some fool blew the normal radio fuse and instead of replacing it, they tapped into power at the PCM and now your getting phantom issues.

Not likely, not probable, but if anyone else ever worked on the car you just never know.

Old 11-01-2018
Registered!!

I installed this radio but i used what wires were there. I figured all waa good because they had the wire kit that plugs into the stock harness.
Old 11-01-2018
Registered!!

Also we installed 2 amolifiers and a 10 inch sub in the car . Could all that power being pulled cause a power loss to the car or the alternator to be working to hard to charge the battery and causing this?
Old 11-01-2018
Super Moderator

Received 1,847 Likes on 1,300 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Disconnect the radio and amps, does the issue still occur.
Old 11-01-2018
Registered!!

I disconnected the radio last night and it did it for a little bit and then stopped and we got it home. I am going to disconnect the amp and fog lights when i get off work today and see what happens .
Old 11-01-2018
Registered!!

So i had the alternator and battery tested. The alternator was good but the battery only had 153cca out of 500cca. I disconnected the radio, both amps and the fog lights and on the way to advance auto the check engine light went out . I got a new battery and things seem good. Still not hooking the radio and amps up till i get a capacitor for the amps.