Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Raw fuel smell and cranks longer then normal sometimes. 170k. Thoughs? suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018
Just looking to save some MPG!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PhillyTurboSix is on a distinguished road
Question Raw fuel smell and cranks longer then normal sometimes. 170k. Thoughs? suggestions?

My 05 recently has been cranking longer then normal to start and I smell raw fuel at times. It's not all the time but it will do this from time to time. It turned 170K recently. I figured I'd post on here just in case these are the signs of fuel pump failure or something. My AAA is paid up so I'm not worried but I'm just wondering if I need to start ordering parts. Other then that she runs like a top!
Old 10-01-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Raw fuel smell and cranks longer then normal sometimes. 170k. Thoughs? suggestion

Might be an emissions issue: Evaporator cannister, Evap hose, etc..

Other thoughts:
Leaking fuel injector(s)
Cylinder flooding: try cranking with gas pedal to floor (wot).
Vacuum leak
Old 10-01-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Raw fuel smell and cranks longer then normal sometimes. 170k. Thoughs? suggestion

Lift up the back seat cushion, remove the cover over the pump. See if pump housing is cracked and leaking on top.
Old 10-01-2018

Thanks for the reply guys! Just looking for ideas figured a Civic with 170K should be showing me something major by now! I don't have any ses lights or anything just can smell that raw fuel and from time to time she needs to crank a little more then usual.
Old 10-02-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Raw fuel smell in/on/near a car usually scares the crap out of me.
Old 10-02-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ezone
one of my old bosses used to change fuel filters with a lit cigarette in his mouth
Old 10-02-2018

Originally Posted by Colin42
one of my old bosses used to change fuel filters with a lit cigarette in his mouth
"I never had a problem doing it that way before"

"Yea but once it goes wrong you probably won't ever do it again......."
Old 10-02-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
You wouldn't want to ride in my car. Jackass previous owner disconnected and removed evap cannister and most likely other related lines. Nothing like a whiff of gas vapors at stop lights to start your day..
Old 10-02-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

if the longer cranking is primarily after the car sits a while, i would do a fuel pressure leak down test. if you have an injector bleeding the excess fuel into the engine when off, it can/will do exactly what you describe. my normal go to fix for that is a $3 can of berryman b12 and a lead foot because it's cheap, fun, and usually successful.
Old 10-02-2018

Old 10-02-2018

Thanks again guys for the reply''s! That raw fuel is freaking me out for sure that's why I want to dig into this sooner then later! Thanks for the pictures as well. I report my findings back here for sure when I get a change to pop the seat and have a look at that pump. From the strength of the smell I bet it's cracked there. It's not all the time but you get the occasional whiff from time to time. Talk about living dangerously, I use to work at a gas station when I was a kid and my boss would go out to pump gas if I was fixing a flat or something and he would always have a lite cig in his mouth! He would put it on top of the pump while he pumped gas. He did that for YEARS! How the hell he never blew up was beyond me! Sometimes when I saw him walking to the pumps I'd yell, "there is a cig in your mouth!" he would say yea I know! lol Crazy times back then. We actually checked your oil, washed your windshield, and checked air pressure in the tires! I think we were the last full service station in PA to do that. Customers use to love the service and when we got a new customer in for fuel they would be like "what? open my hood?" hahaha ok back on topic!
Old 10-02-2018

Just found a video on youtube on how to change the pump had me freaked out for a second the car in the video has the same amount of miles as my car!! Hmmmmmm

Old 10-02-2018

I use to work at a gas station when I was a kid and
My grandpa owned a Standard station up until he passed away in 1972.

My very first job at a gas station as a teenager in 1985 came about solely because the owner of the station recognized my name, he knew my grandpa personally and hired me on the spot. I don't think I met his expectations because I had zero experience in a shop, and solving problems wasn't top priority. Making money was his top priority. I had formal training as a mechanic, but I was not adept nor proficient at installing parts. My tasks at this job then became pumping gas and cleaning the floors at night.

I feel blessed that my next employer viewed my knowledge as an asset and gave me a chance to do what I liked to do. Nurtured, even. I call this one my first real wrenching job LOL
Old 10-04-2018

Well.. I found the fuel smell!! Was like a flood in there. You touch the top and the fuel just leaks out. I called the dealer my price is like $300 some bucks. Delfi from Rock Auto was $170 shipped. Think I'll go that route! Thanks again guys for the tips!

Old 10-04-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Would have been awkward if a rear seat passenger lit up a cigarette...

Glad you found the issue.
Old 10-07-2018

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Would have been awkward if a rear seat passenger lit up a cigarette...

Glad you found the issue.
Thankfully none of my friends smoke!
Old 10-07-2018

Well thanks again guys for the info and tips! I ordered the complete unit from Rock Auto it was a DELPHI unit for $157.00 plus shipping. Honda wanted $300 and something for it. Rock Auto said it would arrive Tuesday but it showed up late yesterday. Was a piece of cake for the install. My neighbor walked over as he does when I'm working on my cars to see what I was doing. He was shocked I was able to take the old one out and install the new one in the short time he was there talking to me. Gotta love Honda for easy access to things! It was the smoothest install I've done that's for sure. Pulled the FP fuse and popped it right out and installed the new one and off to work I went. No more fuel smell and she starts right up faster then ever!

Old 09-07-2021
Registered!!

mychaelp is an unknown quantity at this point

My 02 Civic has a cracked fuel pump cap also. BUT the mechanic has changed it out 5 times now and each time within a week or so the new one cracks. Any ideas? It's back there now
Old 09-15-2021

Originally Posted by mychaelp
mechanic has changed it out 5 times now
Mechanic is broken? Replace mechanic.

Used parts are just as old as the part that already failed.
Buy new.
Honda sells it as a filter kit iirc.

Last edited by ezone; 09-15-2021 at 08:46 AM.