Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Code error 340

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
janbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Code error 340

Hi there
I have 2004 Honda Civic sedan A/T with 170,000km on it. Last few weeks I had CEL come one and got error code 340 and 135. The engine stalled few times while driving and also while it was stopped at red light. Sometimes it would take 3-4 cranks to start up. Originally thought it was fuel issue and possible water in tank so filled up tank and added fuel stabilizer and better fuel. Engine seemed to stall less post fill up but problem didn't go away. So I've replaced the O2 sensor and cleared the codes. Car was fine for 3 days and again CEL came on only code 340 and often stalls. Yesterday while driving ~80km.hr vehicle would shake a bit for few seconds.
The battery is about 1 year old on my vehicle so that's most likely not issue. Possible starter? Should I replace the Cam shaft sensor? Do more tests? tough job since you have to take off valve cover and timing belt cover etc to get in there. What are my next steps?

Thank you
Old 09-18-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Code error 340

yes you should replace camshaft sensor.

Yes you should get a actual Honda part from a Honda dealer to reduce the likelyhood you end up with ill fitting part and other issues.

Yes you should use 1/5 can electirical contact cleaner on the pigtail and new sensor to make sure best possible contact.

No you don’t need to remove the valve cover. Loosen all the cover bolts and just need to pop up the right side 1/2 inch to get timing cover off.
Old 09-19-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
janbo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you
Would a cam shaft sensor from scrap yard be efficient?
Old 09-19-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

I highly suggest pulling parts from junkyards.

Personally I would pull two from the most crash damaged but not clearly neglected cars I could find.

As example, a car with engine crushed all way into the drivers seat is preferable to a car that has duct tape holding bumpers on..