Electrical Post your questions about electrical issues here!

alternator gremiln please help me out

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bigdaddyclint is an unknown quantity at this point
alternator gremiln please help me out

afternoon everyone figured i would post on here and see if anyone has an ideas. for the past year i have had an issue with my 02 civic ex EVERY TIME i connect the positive terminal from my alternator to either my battery + terminal or my fuse box its like the alternator kicks off. i can get 14-15 volts without hooking the main line to anything but my volt meter. i have pulled each and every fuse under the hood and connected the line to the battery each and every time and also to the fuse box every time i pulled a fuse to see if something was causing a drop in the fuse box but nothing seems to keep the alternator at voltage. voltage at yellow black is at 12 volts i disconnected green/white line at the harness to the alternator to stop the ecm from kicking off the alternator also disconnected the eld so in theory i should be running in high mode full output of the alternator. hell i have even put the green/white line to 12 volts to keep it as high as i can get it to keep the alternator running regardless and AS soon as i plug alternator output into the system it either shuts down the alternator or something causes the alternator to drop voltage. on a side note i have replaced all grounds and did voltage drops on all lines from alternator to battery battery to fuse fuse to starter on both positive and negative sides... i cant figures out what the hell is going on.. anyone got any ideas on what could be going on..thanks sorry for the long *** run on sentence English is not my forte.

ok some more information... just now i went and took a set of jumpers and a second battery, with the car running alternator outputs not hooked to anything alternator showing 14-15 volts. took the jumpers hook to alternator chasis and alternator + terminal then plugged into second battery sitting on ground outside of car. alternatr jumps down to 13.-5-14 as susposed to.. its defenlty somthing on the car thats causing the issue any ideas guys?? im at a loss this car has been sitting for the last year because i did not want to mess with it anymore lol now im back at it.

another note.. battery light acts as normal key in ignition acc setting lights up.. start car 1-2 seconds later light turns off but alternator is not charging
Old 09-18-2018
Registered!!

Re: alternator gremiln please help me out

is there any way at all that this could be the computer i am about to pay 125 tomorrow to get a used one flashed. to see if it does anything.. i feel like it cant be the computer because when everything is hooked up other than the main output of alternator it seems the alternator is kicked on and outputting 14-15 volts.
Old 09-18-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bigdaddyclint
is there any way at all that this could be the computer
No.

Did you try your jumper cable from the alternator output to the incar battery directly, skipping the power harness?

Just wondering if you have significant damage to power wire that goes from battery to the starter and then to the alternator.

Old 09-18-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic

No.

Did you try your jumper cable from the alternator output to the incar battery directly, skipping the power harness?

Just wondering if you have significant damage to power wire that goes from battery to the starter and then to the alternator.

yes i have tried that also positive jumper off main output of alternator it shows 14-15 volts without hooking to in car battery, as soon as i hook jumper to positive on in car battery voltage from alternator just drops to 12.2 give or take and slowly drops till battery dies. if i jump from main + post on alternator to the battery on ground i dont get a drop it will charge battery on ground without problems.
Old 09-18-2018
Registered!!

large white wires are as follows on my'n 2 come from the fuse box one comes off box to the + battery terminal. off the positive terminal it jumpers to the starter. the second large white cable from fuse box goes directly to the alternator + output. this is the correct config correct?? for some reason im questioning this and i should not be lol its been a long day.
Old 09-18-2018
Registered!!

Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Everything you have told me so far points to a failing alternator.

While your “test” battery on the ground initially seems valid, your not actually putting a electrical load on the alternator that way.

Pull the alternator out and take it to a parts store that has a alternator tester.
Old 09-18-2018
Registered!!

GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

Or just take the car to the Zone and have them test the alternator with it in the car. They have a hand held tester that does that.
Old 09-18-2018
Registered!!

Pull the alternator out and take it to a parts store that has a alternator tester.
this is the 3rd.... hell if i can remember back that far it might even be the 4th alternator i have put in the car since all this started. first thing i did was get an alternator and a new battery when all this started. about 2 months ago when it started to warm up i pulled the alternator and had it bench tested at both orileys auto advanced and auto zone all checked out fine. thats why im at my end with the damn car. what are the chances of 3 or 4 remans not working. i even had the parts store give me another one even though the ones kept passing on their bench after an argument of corse that remans are known for being junk
Old 09-18-2018
Registered!!

If your ruling out alternator itself as issue, it’s got clean grounds, engine to body ground is good, body to battery ground is good, battery is good, wires from battery to alternator are good then the only thing left is the electrical load is greater than alternator can provide.

Not sure what the minimum amount of relays and fuses you need connected in the engine compartment box to run the car, but I defnately would start pulling out everything till the car stopped running, reinstall whatever causes it to stop and restart it and remove some more till it stops again till your left with absolute minimum. Heck I would bypass the starter with a jumper cable just so I can restart without leaving the battery area.

Clearly, take good pictures before so you can put everything back leave green plug disconnected.
If nothing changes, Call a exorcist ...
Old 09-19-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,124 Likes on 939 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

go get an oem one from the junkyard
Old 09-19-2018
Registered!!

so this morning i went and got the ecm changed and programmed, still no damn change in the charge.. after that i went over to orileys auto and had the alternator checked in the car. everything passed except the voltage regulator.. figures so i tell they guy ill be back in an hour so he can bench test it. pull the alternator and bring it back to them.. it passed the damn bench test 3 times in a row.. i argued with the guy for a sec to get my it replaced seeing as how it failed in car on the regulator. go home get the new one put in and damn thing STILL is messed up this is a total of 5 alternators now in the car.. i go back and do an in car test again battery is good starter is good and alternator fails voltage regulator test on a NEW alternator.. what gives guys why would the voltage regulator in the alternator keep failing its not putting out the 13.5-14 seems like its working a little just not to its full potential.
Old 09-19-2018
Registered!!

Again, reads like something in your car is drawing way to much current, but not enough to pop a fuse.

Pull the relays!
Old 09-19-2018
Registered!!

Ohhh one more thing to quick check, try to start the car with the engine running, you want to hear the teeth of the starter grind..

If the starter is locked onto the flywheel, it will make energy as the engine spins it and that might really screw with charging.. ( I know starters don’t usually work in that manner but there might be enough contaminates to give some electrical pathway...)
Old 09-23-2023
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jt84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I’m having the exact same problem. Whenever I attach the wire to the regulator it cuts off any power going to my battery. Did you ever manage to find out what it was? Any help would be appreciated.