Electronics Post your electronic questions here!

Criuse control does not work

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rocket09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Criuse control does not work

I just bought my first car which is a 2001 Honda civic ex. When I got the car the cruise control did not work. The Master switch lights up when you press it but when you go over 25 mph and hit the set switch it does nothing. I my brake lights work so the brake switch works (correct me if i'm wrong). I jumped the clutch switch still did not work. I'm pretty sure the set switch works, also the actuatordoes too. So I'm pooped. So some help would be appreciated.
Old 09-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Criuse control does not work

Originally Posted by Rocket09
I jumped the clutch switch still did not.
By jumped the clutch switch, were you then able to start the car without pressing down the clutch?

The cruise control kill switch on the clutch pedal is a separate but in the same general area switch. Typically the rubber cap on the pedal itself breaks over time and the switch plunger goes right through the now empty hole.

Old 09-11-2018
Registered!!

Yep the rubber broke off I jumped the bottom switch (the one not for starting).I put a penny on the clutch to test and it did not work.
Old 09-12-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

also the actuatordoes too.
How you know this if the system doesn't work?

I my brake lights work so the brake switch works (correct me if i'm wrong).
The brake switch has 4 wires; The brake lights working is only checking half of that switch.
The cruise unit needs the other set of contacts in the same switch to work correctly too. (one set of contacts is NC, the other set is NO)

Coupe or sedan? Cruise systems are different between the two body styles.
Horn works? Airbag warning light is not on?
Old 09-12-2018
Registered!!

I tested the actuator to the manuals specs and it clicked. I think it might be the brake because I thought if the brake lights work the switch works. And my car is the sedan 4 door. Yes horn works too good lol. No warning lights ether. If you know which two wires are for the cruise control, that would be helpful.
Old 09-12-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If you know which two wires are for the cruise control, that would be helpful.
Which two wires of what? The brake switch? Get under the dash and look. it's probably easy to determine by wire size.
Old 09-12-2018
Registered!!

Okay I know for a fact that all of the switches work master works, clutch works, brake works, set works. I also put new bulbs in the gauge cluster. What else could be the issue.
Old 09-12-2018
Super Moderator

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,295 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

I pulled out my cluster one time and did not fully seat one of the connectors while reinstalling, my cruise would not work afterwards. Pushed the connector all the way in and cruise started working again. Just a thought.
Old 09-12-2018

Does the car have LED tail/brake lights?
Old 09-12-2018
Registered!!

How do I check if it has LED Brake lights
Old 09-12-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

pull out a bulb?
Old 09-12-2018

Are the brake light bulbs standard normal typical incandescent bulb with a tungsten filament, or LED? (google it)
Old 09-13-2018
Registered!!

Normal incandescent
Old 09-23-2018
Registered!!

metron is an unknown quantity at this point

I just "fixed" my cruise control. Placed my foot behind the clutch pedal and lifted it up towards me. I felt some adjustment happen and all of a sudden my Set button worked again.

The light on my cruise switch is dead but I knew that. At least my cruise control system is functional again.
Old 09-23-2018

Originally Posted by metron
I just "fixed" my cruise control. Placed my foot behind the clutch pedal and lifted it up towards me. I felt some adjustment happen and all of a sudden my Set button worked again.
Might want to go ahead and replace that lower clutch pedal switch?

EDIT: Just realized you aren't the OP of the thread LOL