Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2003 Civic LX Battery/Alternator/Possibly AC Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joedirt is an unknown quantity at this point
2003 Civic LX Battery/Alternator/Possibly AC Problems

Hello,

My mother in law inherited my wife’s 2003 Civic LX. A week ago she needed a jump start to get it going and went to the auto parts store to get a new battery. Two days later, the new battery was dead. Figuring it was an alternator issue, I had it towed to my house in order to work on it. This morning I went out to jack the car up in order to change the alternator and saw a broken belt sticking out underneath. Just a broken belt, I thought to myself and went to the auto store and got an alternator-ac belt and a new power steering belt. Changed out both belts, (what a terrible design I thought, fighting those wingnut bolts...) and then brought my truck over to jump start the car. Cranked slowly, then fired up. Immediately I heard a “grinding squeal” that persisted for the short time I let the car run. Shut it off, could smell a burning type smell, like the new belt...

I spun both the ac clutch and the alternator pulley and they the free wheeled so I didn’t think anything like they were seized up. I called up my mother in law and asked if the air conditioning worked the last time she drove the car and tried to use it. She said it didn’t work the time she tried it.

So I’m thinking that the alternator may be ok and the ac clutch is seizing/seized and needs to be replaced based on the noise I heard when I started it. Or maybe both are on the frizz and both need to be done. Is the clutch replacement tough to do or is it better to replace the entire compressor?

Thoughts?

Thanks
Old 08-31-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: 2003 Civic LX Battery/Alternator/Possibly AC Problems

Confused, before you just replace something, why don’t you look at the belts while the engine is running and see iwhich one of the pulleys is seized...There is not even a idler wheel and you know it’s not the harmonic balancer stuck so that just leaves 3 other things spinning..

Use a hollow tube with one end near your ear and move the other around to locate the noise.
Don’t wrap it around your hand, arm, neck or anything you care about Incase it gets caught in a belt.
Old 09-01-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Joe Dirt is in the house:

Old 09-01-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

what a terrible design I thought, fighting those wingnut bolts

I heard a “grinding squeal” that persisted for the short time I let the car run. Shut it off, could smell a burning type smell, like the new belt...
If you're cussing Hondas stupid simple belt adjustment design....and now it squeals bad enough to burn the belt, you probably didn't get it adjusted tight enough.
Old 09-01-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Joe Dirt is in the house:

If I had coffee I would have spit it all over the screen

Old 09-01-2018
Registered!!

Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ezone
If you're cussing Hondas stupid simple belt adjustment design....and now it squeals bad enough to burn the belt, you probably didn't get it adjusted tight enough.
Also if your cursing that wingnut, you might not have loosened both alternator mounting bolts..

Just be sure to retighten them both back up when your done else you will fry your ECU.
Old 09-03-2018
Registered!!

I think it's the AC clutch. It's too hot to touch after letting the car idle for a minute or so. Plus I never got cold air inside.

i was going to bypass the compressor so she could at least drive the car but the civic alternator only belt is too long and I can't adjust the alternator enough to take up the slack.

Old 09-03-2018

Originally Posted by Joedirt
I think it's the AC clutch. It's too hot to touch after letting the car idle for a minute or so. Plus I never got cold air inside.

i was going to bypass the compressor so she could at least drive the car but the civic alternator only belt is too long and I can't adjust the alternator enough to take up the slack.

I thought you said both pulleys spin freely?
Can you turn the compressor clutch hub by hand?
Does screech stop when the AC is turned off?

They gave you the wrong belt or you still haven't got the alternator bolts loose enough for the unit to move full travel. .
Is the clutch replacement tough to do
Easy if you have the right snap ring pliers and can set up the air gap. But is it really a clutch/pulley issue?
Old 09-03-2018
Registered!!

If you want to “skip” the ac, go buy a 2001 DX alternator belt. That model didn’t have AC so the belt is shorter.
Old 09-03-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I thought you said both pulleys spin freely?
Can you turn the compressor clutch hub by hand?
Does screech stop when the AC is turned off?

They gave you the wrong belt or you still haven't got the alternator bolts loose enough for the unit to move full travel. .
Easy if you have the right snap ring pliers and can set up the air gap. But is it really a clutch/pulley issue?
i have the right belt for the alternator/AC. I tried the non AC belt but it was too long. The clutch on the AC compressor spins, but it sounds like it's scraping. It also wiggles from side to side; it's definitely not tight. I'm pretty sure it's the clutch that's the issue.

Old 09-05-2018

Originally Posted by Joedirt
I tried the non AC belt but it was too long.

This is the most common and cheapest way to bypass a failed compressor.

What belt # did they try to give you?

The clutch on the AC compressor spins, but it sounds like it's scraping. It also wiggles from side to side; it's definitely not tight. I'm pretty sure it's the clutch that's the issue.
Sounds like the bearing inside the pulley has failed?