Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

EGR problems 0401 code HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smitm115 is an unknown quantity at this point
EGR problems 0401 code HELP PLEASE!

Sooo.... I have a luxurious 2001 civic dx. Last year the radiator popped a hole which in turn caused to head gasket to blow... got that all fixed (new radiator and head work done) But right after the check engine light came on and the guy said it was for the egr valve code.... I had a while left on my registration and said **** it... that's future me's problem... kept driving it like that for a while just fine. Buuut now I'm trying to get it to pass DEQ and that light is still on. Since i had that head work done, someone said it might be gunk in my vac lines. I tried pumping sea foam through the vac lines but there was not much suction (odd, my buddy said the lines were kinda pulsing) sooo adapting and overcoming i just dumped it through the intake. (also unplugged the battery for a while to reset the computer) she smoked a bit and starting running a lot better. 70 mph on the hwy was about 500 rpm's less than the day before and it helped with the occasional rough idling I'd get. buuut just to be sure, the next day, we took the EGR valve out and cleaned it and the light came back on immediately and back came the higher rpms to go the same speed. It was off for that day after sea foaming it but how far do you have to drive it to throw a code again?

'm kinda at my wits end and researching but keep finding things contradicting eachother online. I hope a guru can give me some advice on here. thank you!
Old 08-19-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: EGR problems 0401 code HELP PLEASE!

Take the intake manifold off and clean the EGR passages
Old 08-19-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

But right after the check engine light came on and the guy
.....used the wrong intake manifold gasket. Take it back to whomever did that work.
Old 08-19-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Take the intake manifold off and clean the EGR passages
Like the connectors? I'll try that. thanks
Old 08-19-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
.....used the wrong intake manifold gasket. Take it back to whomever did that work.
Oh, saying the guy put on the wrong header gasket? The shop did work usually suping up hondas so it might not have the EGR hole (typical with racing)... I'm between that, the diaphragm being torn in the EGR valve or **** in the vac lines is throwing codes. Problem is the guy who did the head work is in Las Vegas and I'm in Oregon... My buddy is willing to help me take off the intake and clean gunk out there if that may help.... I know a little bit about cars but mostly things I have had to fix before. This is all new to me.

Thanks for the input man!
Old 08-19-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by smitm115
Like the connectors? I'll try that. thanks
The EGR passages in the manifold.

Originally Posted by smitm115
Oh, saying the guy put on the wrong header gasket? The shop did work usually suping up hondas so it might not have the EGR hole (typical with racing)... I'm between that, the diaphragm being torn in the EGR valve or **** in the vac lines is throwing codes. Problem is the guy who did the head work is in Las Vegas and I'm in Oregon... My buddy is willing to help me take off the intake and clean gunk out there if that may help.... I know a little bit about cars but mostly things I have had to fix before. This is all new to me.

Thanks for the input man!
Not the exhaust manifold gasket, the intake manifold gasket.
There's 2 different ones.
Ezone is way smarter than I am so I would definitely take his advice
Old 08-19-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

INTAKE Manifold must be removed to inspect gasket and/or perform any cleaning.

Click this link, view image in first post: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ml#post4626154