Safety/Security Items - SRS, Keys, Immobilizer, airbags, ABS Post your safety, security questions here! Airbags, Keys (immobilizer)

Ignition Switch Help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lynlan is an unknown quantity at this point
Ignition Switch Help please

New too the Forum,I will be helping my Daughters boyfriend change his ignition switch on his 2003 Civic M/T,my question is
1 Do I have too disconnect the battery first before doing any work ?
2 Do I have too put the old immobilizer on the new switch ?
3 Can a locksmith reprogram the new unit,I don't want too mess with the Dealership ?
Thank You for any help.

Last edited by lynlan; 08-15-2018 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-15-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ignition Switch Help please

WHY ignition switch? Bad electrical part? Key jammed up?

Call your local locksmiths and ask them if they can handle what you want to do.
Then ask how they would handle the problem you have --- because it's probably more efficient/cheaper than the way you thought of.

A well equipped locksmith can replace the tumblers in the lock, that saves a bunch. May need a fresh key cut if the original is worn out though...but you won't have to keep multiple keys on the ring to open the door and then start it. . If they can cut a Honda sidewinder key, they can probably program it too. They probably need the car to program a fresh key though. Again, ASK THEM.

A dealership is supposed to have the tumblers to fix the locks too, but a lot of dealer techs won't do that kind of work.
I retumble them as much as possible. Our local locksmith sends all their Honda sidewinder key and lock issues to me.

The hack way (FREE) would be to strip apart the lock and just remove the bad tumblers (or all of the tumblers). Reassemble.
Anything would be able to turn the switch on, but only a correctly programmed key will get the engine to run.

Stop using the term "stealership". Its krass and insulting to the dealer tech who just gave you all the answers.

Last edited by ezone; 08-15-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-15-2018
Registered!!

Thanks ezone,We already have a new ignition assembly with 2 chipped keys and a valet key,the boyfriend only had 1 key on the old ignition,so he simply needed a whole new unit and keys.Need someone too answer my other questions.
Old 08-15-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

already have a new ignition assembly with 2 chipped keys and a valet key,
If you don't have the matching PCM from the same car, then what you have must be programmed before the engine will run.
Again, call your local locksmith and ask if they can handle it.
A dealership can certainly handle it.

Better think about swapping your parts in their parking lot too, because they must have the car present in order to do any programming.

What other questions? I don't disconnect the battery, but you may want to. It's like step #2 in the instructions.
Old 08-15-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
If you don't have the matching PCM from the same car, then what you have must be programmed before the engine will run.
Again, call your local locksmith and ask if they can handle it.
A dealership can certainly handle it.

Better think about swapping your parts in their parking lot too, because they must have the car present in order to do any programming.

What other questions? I don't disconnect the battery, but you may want to. It's like step #2 in the instructions.
how about putting the old immobilizer on the new switch,or does it even matter ?
Old 08-15-2018

Originally Posted by lynlan
how about putting the old immobilizer on the new switch,or does it even matter ?
Programming control units is not quite the same as programming new keys, so
Not knowing exactly what procedures the locksmiths programming equipment is capable of, it might be a good idea to swap the original immobi ring (immobilizer control unit) to the new lock, but no matter what you cannot avoid going through the programming to get it to start the engine.
The 'chip' keys, the immobilizer control unit, and the PCM all have to agree with each other. Replace any item and you have to go through programming procedures.

If you had the ignition lock assembly (with immobi ring), the key set, and the PCM all taken from the donor car as a matched set, you could just bolt them all in and it should run. (assuming that pcm was even compatible with your car)

Old 08-15-2018

Just a thought:
We already have a new ignition assembly with 2 chipped keys and a valet key,the boyfriend only had 1 key on the old ignition,so he simply needed a whole new unit and keys.
Does this mean BRAND NEW?
Those keys may not even be immobilizer keys. Beware. Some sources include plain keys that can't be programmed.

If he got used parts, you should be good.

If all he wanted was a couple extra keys and there wasn't anything actually wrong with the lock, cutting and programming new keys is much simpler.
Old 08-16-2018
Registered!!

His old lock is messed up inside,and his key was worn down too almost nothin. We will be calling a locksmith tomorrow too get the new keys reprogrammed.