Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

05 headgasket coolant overflow and p0420 cat, car life?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicProb00 is an unknown quantity at this point
05 headgasket coolant overflow and p0420 cat, car life?

Hi guys, need some advice. Debating if I should fix my 05 civic ex with 170km.
  • I've been driving with a bad head gasket for over 2 years in the midwest
    • based on coolant reservoir overflow filled to the top and dripping down the reservoir or fan and air filter housing (during 3k RPM or highway).
    • Fill radiator cap at least once a week or before long travel of 4hr.
    • Temp gauge did reach to top before I stop by gas station and let it cool down. This happen 2 year ago (summer) and I was driving in highway and there happen to be a ramp nearby.
    • Coolant reservoir does have a black "tar" substance in it. Saw somewhere on ericTheCarGuy forums and he mention it has to do with combustion gas.
  • P0420 Cat code appear 1 year later along with O2 sensor codes
    • I'm thinking this must be due to coolant leaking.
    • State don't do emission test so not going to worry too much about it.
  • Valve cover gasket is also leaking oil.
  • Recently noticed this month car shake after starting up from work. Misfiring? It doesn't happen every day. Maybe 1 every 10 days.
How long can I continue to drive it before complete engine failure, as long as I fill radiator?

Did Honda corrected transmission from 03 and up?
I know 7th gen has transmission issue and I have not noticed any slipping yet. There are reports on cars complaint .com but not as much as the 01-02. I think I read somewhere here that Honda did not fix the issue. Can someone clarify?

Honestly don't want to have mechanic do $2000 in repair just to later find transmission will need to get fix later. Rather get another car if that's the case.

Thanks and I hope to learn more from you guys!
Old 07-20-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: 05 headgasket coolant overflow and p0420 cat, car life?

Originally Posted by civicProb00
long can I continue to drive it before complete engine failure, as long as I fill radiator?

No way to answer that...could last a long time as long as it's not overheating. If it starts to run hot turn the interior heater on and drive with the windows down.

Did Honda corrected transmission from 03 and up?

Yes.

http://www.hondaproblems.com/trends/...ssion-failure/

Honestly don't want to have mechanic do $2000 in repair just to later find transmission will need to get fix later. Rather get another car if that's the case.

No one can predict how long your engine or transmission will last. A head gasket replacement + machine shop charge (if/most likey needed) should be a around $1000.
Old 07-20-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: 05 headgasket coolant overflow and p0420 cat, car life?

you didn’t mention how much oil your burning but since you clogged out your cat, prolly a lot.

pull the spark plugs and see if they are caked in residue or not.

Replacing the engine with a JDM might be a good option, but adding in legal cat, and wideband O2 sensors and timing belt replacement and radiator, and new hoses, and you would pretty much cover almost year of new car payments.