Engine cranks in any gear? - Honda Civic Forum

Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine cranks in any gear?

Old 07-12-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really nice
Engine cranks in any gear?

So this first started about a year ago with the engine not cranking in park at random times, but cranking in neutral. When it wouldn't crank in park, the gear indicator light on the dash wouldn't be on at all. This would only happen every couple of weeks. But after a couple months of this not happening, I noticed that the engine will consistently start in any gear. The indicator light on the dash works correctly, but it starts in any gear now. I don't think that these two issues are related, but I have no way of knowing. Any ideas what could cause this? I don't particularly care if it cranks in any gear, but I don't want to ignore this problem if it could damage something else or cause another problem. Thanks
Old 07-12-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Engine cranks in any gear?

Follow and diagnose according to a correct wiring diagram for answers.
Old 07-12-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really nice

Originally Posted by ezone View Post
Follow and diagnose according to a correct wiring diagram for answers.
I have a wiring diagram for the starter. My best guess is that the starter cut relay is stuck closed, but I'll have to find that relay and test it.
Old 07-13-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It's in the dash fusebox.

Has that relay been bypassed?
Old 07-13-2018
Registered!!

It's in the dash fusebox.

Has that relay been bypassed?
Thanks. I'll test that relay and report back. And no it has not been bypassed. I didn't even know that it was there until I looked at the wiring diagram.
Old 07-13-2018

I can find out a whole lot of answers by probing a simple test light in the relay socket.
Old 07-13-2018
Registered!!

I can find out a whole lot of answers by probing a simple test light in the relay socket.
I'm sure you can. However, the relays in the fusebox under the dash aren't exactly easy to get to. In my opinion, it would be easier to start with removing the relay and testing it outside the car than to do testing from the socket.
Old 07-13-2018

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER View Post
I'm sure you can. However, the relays in the fusebox under the dash aren't exactly easy to get to. In my opinion, it would be easier to start with removing the relay and testing it outside the car than to do testing from the socket.
Disagree, regardless of difficulty. You aren't likely to find the relay stuck on, and if it were stuck on then trying to pull it out of the box would probably make it unstick and all your evidence would disappear in an instant.

I don't think I've ever needed to test a relay out of circuit. I've always been able to judge by evaluating the 4 or 5 terminals in a typical simple relay socket.

Be glad it's not a German car. LOL
Old 07-13-2018
Registered!!

Disagree, regardless of difficulty. You aren't likely to find the relay stuck on, and if it were stuck on then trying to pull it out of the box would probably make it unstick and all your evidence would disappear in an instant.

I don't think I've ever needed to test a relay out of circuit. I've always been able to judge by evaluating the 4 or 5 terminals in a typical simple relay socket.

Be glad it's not a German car. LOL
But wouldn't you need to remove the relay to do your testing from the socket anyway?
Old 07-13-2018
Registered!!

Okay so I removed the relay from the socket and it still cranks in any gear. What does this mean? Short in the load side?
Old 07-13-2018

But wouldn't you need to remove the relay to do your testing from the socket anyway?
Yes, but that doesn't matter if you KNOW what you should find when testing in the socket.

Know. Evaluate. Judge. Deduce.
Old 07-13-2018
Registered!!

Yes, but that doesn't matter if you KNOW what you should find when testing in the socket.

Know. Evaluate. Judge. Deduce.
Good point. I'm late and it's tired. :yawn:
Old 07-13-2018

Okay so I removed the relay from the socket and it still cranks in any gear. What does this mean? Short in the load side?
you pulled the wrong relay?

Or its bypassed somewhere
Old 07-13-2018

Effed up range switch?
Old 07-13-2018
Registered!!

Effed up range switch?
I don't think so. All the indicator lights on the dash work correctly.
Old 07-13-2018
Registered!!

you pulled the wrong relay?

Or its bypassed somewhere
I pulled RY1 on this diagram: http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/portfolio/e/udfrb.htm
Old 07-13-2018

You pulled the relay and you have a wire diagram.. Test, dont guess.

It's not the relay.
Old 07-13-2018
Registered!!

You pulled the relay and you have a wire diagram.. Test, dont guess.

It's not the relay.
It can't be the relay since it still cranks without it installed. Something must be shorted. I'm too tired to go any farther with this tonight though since it's almost midnight here. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-13-2018
Registered!!

Would it be a bad idea to ignore this issue?
Old 07-13-2018

Would it be a bad idea to ignore this issue?
DependsŪ
Old 07-14-2018
Registered!!

DependsŪ
Basically, I'm asking if ignoring this issue will strand me, damage something, burn my car down, or do something else nasty. I WILL NOT start it in gear, so no need to worry about that. Even if I did (which I won't), I always use the parking brake, so it's not going anywhere.
Old 07-14-2018

Basically, I'm asking if ignoring this issue will
What do YOU think?
Old 07-14-2018
Registered!!

What do YOU think?
I think it's fine to ignore.
Old 07-21-2018
Registered!!

I still didn't get an answer. Is this safe to ignore as long as I don't start it in gear?
Old 07-21-2018

You already came up with your own answer.
Old 07-21-2018
Registered!!

You already came up with your own answer.
I know. I just want to make sure that this issue won't cause another problem or strand me if I ignore it.
Old 07-21-2018

It's my job to tell you it's broken, the government mandated safety starter interlock feature has been defeated disabled bypassed or broken and SHOULD be fixed correctly. The next decision is all on you. Congratulations your car is now in about 1986 safety standards.

I'd at least want to know exactly why it was done and know how well it was done. I wouldn't want a hairpin bypass jumper to fall out on a bump and not start on the next try.
Old 07-21-2018
Registered!!

It's my job to tell you it's broken, the government mandated safety starter interlock feature has been defeated disabled bypassed or broken and SHOULD be fixed correctly. The next decision is all on you. Congratulations your car is now in about 1986 safety standards.

I'd at least want to know exactly why it was done and know how well it was done. I wouldn't want a hairpin bypass jumper to fall out on a bump and not start on the next try.
I did not bypass the starter interlock, and it used to work until recently. No one besides me has worked on this car since it's been in my possession. I think that the issue is inside the fusebox, but I need to do more testing to find out.

Update: It is in the fusebox. I checked for continuity between the 2 load side terminals on the fusebox, and there is continuity even with the relay out. But now that I messed with the relay, it won't start at all weather the relay is in or out and there is no longer continuity between the 2 load side terminals on the fusebox. Ever see a fusebox fail in this way?

Last edited by D17VTECPOWER; 07-21-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-22-2018

Stuck (temporarily) relay?
Old 07-22-2018
Registered!!

Stuck (temporarily) relay?
No. It's definately in the fusebox. There was continuity across the load side terminals on the fusebox even with no relay installed, but now it is completely open even with the relay in or the load side jumpered.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine cranks in any gear?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.