Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2012 Honda Civic LX Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
minghos is an unknown quantity at this point
2012 Honda Civic LX Transmission Issue

My 2012 Honda Civic LX has a problem with its transmission, and I was hoping to reach out to the community for advice on how to fix this. SO basically when I drive, the car starts to shake/tremble from side to side and as I keep driving, the shaking eventually goes away. Do you think there is a faulty part I should have replaced, or is there any other advice I can take to have this problem fixed? Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 2012 Honda Civic LX Transmission Issue

Wheel weight fell off or a bent rim?
Old 07-07-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

TCC shudder. You've never bothered to properly service the transmission? Do a fluid service NOW with Hondas DW1 fluid.

Last edited by ezone; 07-08-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-08-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
TCC shudder. You've never bothered to properly service the transmission. Do a fluid service NOW with Hondas DW1 fluid.
OP: TCC shudder explained http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/203

Check service manual for ATF fluid change procedure. On older Honda's it's recommended drain and fill only (no machine flushing). I'm not sure about the procedure for a 2012..Ezone most likely knows though.
Old 07-08-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Mr. Dong, I think I just read your link for the first time.....and it perfectly describes the symptom for large rear wheel drive Ford/Lincoln/Mercury cars from the mid-1990s LOL

Allow me to add some info
In the early stages of the problem, Hondas can exhibit the shudder much less violently than described in the article, and at a wider range of speeds than the article states because most Hondas that can have the issue can apply the TCC in all forward gears. A common condition for the shudder to occur is shortly after a light throttle gear change, say from gears 2-3 or 3-4, but it can happen at other times too.

I've heard the severity of the shudder described as "did you feel that too, or did I imagine that?", and "jiggling my jowls" (my favorite), and all the way up to "shaking the the dashboard up and down".

The TCC issue can also present itself as a slow repeating slip-stick condition, which may be seen as the tach needle bouncing slightly as the engine RPM changes by 50-200 or so, and without the shudder vibration.

Check service manual for ATF fluid change procedure. On older Honda's it's recommended drain and fill only (no machine flushing). I'm not sure about the procedure for a 2012..Ezone most likely knows though.
The "NO MACHINES/NO CHEMICALS" recommendation applies to ALL Hondas.

In published literature it's written as "strongly discouraged".

Our procedure is still simply drain it and fill it.
Once for a basic fluid service; thrice or four times if the fluid is severely neglected, deteriorated, or contaminated.

Use of correct Honda DW-1 fluid is also critical, and mandatory for all model year 2011 and newer A/T.

If the problem is ignored long enough, it might end up needing more than just simple fluid services to solve the problem.
Old 07-08-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Ezone. Thanks for that info.
Old 07-10-2018
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Sometimes a clogged or faulty EGR valve or clogged EGR ports can cause a shudder trying to maintain a constant speed and can mimic transmission shifting issues FWIW.