Overheating or loss of coolant, heater blowing cold If you are having overheating of loss of coolant issues, post here!

Overheating still after replacing head gasket, water pump, and thermostat

Old 06-19-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
joe85sti is an unknown quantity at this point
Overheating still after replacing head gasket, water pump, and thermostat

My 02 civic LX started overheating in traffic one day. I didn't have a chance to really pin down the characteristics of its overheating before I got home, so I started by replacing the thermostat. That didn't work. When I test drove it, thats when I noticed it was overheating at idle regardless of car speed, as well as not blowing heat. At that point, I moved to water pump. Old pump looked great, but got that done with timing belt, etc. That didn't work, so thats when I searched the inter webs and found out about the head gasket issues. I tore it all apart, brought the head to a machine shop, it was flat and didnt need to be milled, put on the new head gasket, drove it for about 20 minutes on the highway....no overheating, coolant level seemed consistent. Took it to work the next day (about an hour drive, all highway), did fine until the drive home, and apparently enough driving had been done to push the coolant into the overflow tank, thus overheating at idle again. I bought an exhaust gas tester, no exhaust gasses in the coolant. I did notice that when I started it up in the driveway, after the thermostat finally opened, it did try to overflow a little out of the radiator, then it settled back down. My only thought now is maybe a clogged radiator? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

-Joe
Old 06-19-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough
Re: Overheating still after replacing head gasket, water pump, and thermostat

You went through all that and never inspected the electric fan / relays? I
Old 06-19-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by RobertD
You went through all that and never inspected the electric fan / relays? I
My apologies, electric fans are working. Also, I can be on the highway, put the car into neutral, and it will start overheating. Conversely, I can be stopped and when it starts to overheat, rev it up past 3k rpm and it'll come back down. These are all symptoms of low coolant, and goes away if I top it back off. Unfortunately, it will then slowly push the coolant into the overflow tank again. Since there are no exhaust gasses present, my only thought is a restriction in the radiator, and when the flow rate is high (driving on the highway) it forces coolant into the overflow.
Old 06-19-2018
Super Moderator

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,294 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Did you burp the coolant system after replacing everything? Could be air trapped inside expanding once the engine warms up.
Old 06-19-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Did you check the block for flatness?

Exhaust gases in coolant is only one of several types leak and a block test will not find all types of head gasket breaching.
Do a leak down test (ezone style) on each cylinder at TDC.
Old 06-19-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
Did you burp the coolant system after replacing everything? Could be air trapped inside expanding once the engine warms up.
I did run it for about 45 minutes with heat on full. Kept the radiator topped off.

Originally Posted by Megalodong

Exhaust gases in coolant is only one of several types leak and a block test will not find all types of head gasket breaching.
I have a compression tester, so I guess I'll do that next. I guess I'll have to bring it somewhere for a leak down since I don't have air in my garage.
Old 06-19-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong

I'm confused. My symptom of overheating is from coolant being pushed out of the system into the overflow, thus eventually leaving me low on coolant. With regards to head gasket, the only way a head gasket could cause coolant to be pushed out is by exhaust gasses, right? So if I didn't get a bad result with my exhaust gasses test, it can't be the head gasket causing this. Is my assumption correct?
Old 06-19-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

So if I didn't get a bad result with my exhaust gasses test, it can't be the head gasket causing this. Is my assumption correct?
Incorrect. Many failed head gaskets will pass that test.
Old 06-19-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Either bad head gasket, bad installation, or warped / uneven block.

I think by the time the flame front actually gets to the head gasket, the moving piston has already reduced the compression enough that actual exhaust gas doesn’t enter the water jacket, just the preburn mixture and that’s why it doesn’t trigger the coolant test very well.
Old 06-19-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by joe85sti
I'm confused. My symptom of overheating is from coolant being pushed out of the system into the overflow, thus eventually leaving me low on coolant. With regards to head gasket, the only way a head gasket could cause coolant to be pushed out is by exhaust gasses, right? So if I didn't get a bad result with my exhaust gasses test, it can't be the head gasket causing this. Is my assumption correct?

Read: http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/200
Old 06-19-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

coolant being pushed out of the system into the overflow,
And not being pulled back into the radiator as the system cools.

Have radiator and cap issues been checked and addressed? (DNRTFA)